cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay motors

A seller has a vehicle listed as having X amount of miles. The mileage is too low, suspiciously low.

I ran a carfax on the VIN. The odometer has an alert for a reported mileage inconsistency.

The car has a history, in Carfax, of escalating mileage and at one point it went from 100,XXX miles to only 14K miles. Obviously the odometer was changed. Given the sellers history and knowledge, I believe the seller knows but is describing the car incorrectly anyway.

Either way, the mileage is not accurate. How do I report to ebay? This is bad, the auction is up to 7K for a 20+ year old car with fake mileage. I was going to bid and did a carfax, im taken aback by this guy.

edit- speeil check

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

EBay motors

Just a guess but I would say being a twenty year old car that the odometer rolled over. It went from 100,000 to 14,000 sounds about right for one or two years of driving.

If that's not the case then it's possible that it was changed.

Not sure Ebay would do any thing about it. Kinda hard to prove that the seller knew this. If he did and it can be proven that he tampered with the odometer it is a crime.

If I saw a car that was twenty years old with that low of mileage I would automatically suspect some thing.

Any time your buying a car whether it's from the local newspaper, CL or any where else a inspection of the vehicle is a must. Either in person or by a inspection company.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

When I see old vehicles with ludicrously low mileage, I NEVER believe that such mileage is accurate, AND if it were, I wouldn't want the car anyway, 'cause nothing is harder on a car than sitting around NOT being driven; or being used for very short trips, etc.

And since you don't know what the deal is, I wouldn't worry about it. The same way you found out about it, so could anyone else if they care to; and if they don't care to, and they care to believe that a 20 year-old car only has 14K miles on it, then that is their problem; so really, no need for any third party to do anything.

The seller may even be clueless. The car may've had a new guage cluster put in before he bought it, and he's just reporting what it says now without knowing the back story. On the other hand, if the guy's trying to scam, he's not doing a very good job of it, because unless the car is an exotic or something, no one's going to even care about the mileage on a 20 year old car. 

The info is out there for anyone who cares enough to look for it.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

This car has a digital odometer, the only way to change the mileage is with software or changing the cluster.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

eBay item number: 263076049223
Read what is listed about the milage & you'd feel like turning into jimmy justice and report too
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

@ncinirator wrote:
This car has a digital odometer, the only way to change the mileage is with software or changing the cluster.

And no one is going to do that just to alter thec mileage, on a 20 year-old car, and for which anyone running a Carfax can see the discrepancy.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

@ncinirator wrote:

And no one is going to do that just to alter thec mileage, on a 20 year-old car, and for which anyone running a Carfax can see the discrepancy.

If you bought a car for 500$ and all you had to do was spend 250$ and about an hour or less of your time to change the cluster, and then sell it for 7K... Yes, yes you would (if you were a slime ball).

But I hear ya. This still aint right though.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

How odd. The car appears to be ex-police and the seller has a lengthy history of selling ex- cop cars.

The seller also claims to be  a law enforcement officer. This means he's selling  cars on the side (license.....????) or he's doing this as a public official and is allowed to do so.

I find it hard to believe what appears to be a plain clothes car has only seen 14k miles of service.

Have you considered emailing this guy and pointing out the mileage discrepancy? That might be a hoot.

Threee days left on the auction, 7k dollars+ on the bidding, and 16 bids with no reserve met.

Should be interesting the last few hours of that auction.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

HAhahaha! A cop selling it... You KNOW it has to be shady then!

Then again, anyone willing to pay THAT much for a 23 year-old car, even if the mileage is legit, should have their head examined. This will prove to be a bigger turd than the bubble Caprice my friend's mother bought (against my recommendation) and paid double the going price for, because it had low mileage, as it was owned by an elderly person who rarely drove it. The thing, of course turned out to be the biggest pile-O-carp with endless problems, and she got rid of it within a year for a thrid of what she paid for it.

Me? When I buy older vehicles, I look for ones that were driven and maintained...and if they racked-up high mileage, it means they were well maintained, like the 98 E150 van I bought when it was 3 years old, with 240K miles on it. Kept it for 15 years. Most reliable, trouble-free vehicle I ever owned.

23 year-old car with 14K miles, used sporadically for very short stints and kept outside? I'd be hard-pressed to give $500 for it.

I used to have a client who'd buy police Caprices and Crown Vics to sell on here....he'd be lucky to get $3K for 'em- and many were in quite nice shape, with realistic mileage. No longer sells 'em here, 'cause a few local taxi companies now buy all he gets.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

Ooo, oooo! A new water pump and distributor! Yeah....those things wear out after 14K miles....LOL! (Translation: Bad intake manifold gasket and/or head gasket, not yet far gone enough to show obvious signs...previous owner trying to correct burgeoning symptons...)

Watch the tranny seals puke out the first time the new owner gets it up to 80!

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

Gap between the left front fender and the driver's door jumps out at me. I looked at a few other Caprices of this vintage just to make sure it wasn't me....but I was correct- the gap is larger on this one- 'specially at the top (near bottom of A pillar). Passenger side too. Bet it's had a nose put on it!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

I note in that college thesis length descriptioin that it's claimed the vehicle was used for practicing traffic stops only. If so, that could explain the low miles IF the story is true.

The seller claims to be law enforcement but is also charging a DOC and title fee.  Is that right I wonder?

The A/C is claimed to be cool, not "ice cold". That more than likely means a leaking compressor.

Pretty neat car and would be nice to have AT the right price.  Way over 7 grand and needing who knows what is not the right one.

As mentioned by legitimate_bidder, odds are the transmission seals, or the trans itself, is likely going to give up. All of the rubber seal in that trans are a quarter century old and age, not just miles, takes a toll on them.

That's probably why the water pump seals gave up along with the A/C compressor. Next are the seals in the trans, the engine, brake hydraulic failure, and who knows what all.

I wonder if the car left the training facility with 14k miles, had 86k more put on it over the years, and now that it's up for sale going back to the original storyline of 14k sounded a bit more lucrative.

Mileage can be rolled back by changing the cluster and even digital ones can be changed. There are even YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

Good thesis about the mileage, Rip! I'd say that that is the most likely scenario- and why Carfax shows a discrepancy. Also, from what I've seen, they don't use brand new cars for "training"- they use old retired cars. This car could've had a few hundred thousand miles put on as a cruiser, and the used for training when it was retired. Maybe when it came out of service, the cluster was busted, and so replaced. If they were maintained well, you really can't tell by look and feel, the difference between a high-mileage and low-mileage specimen of any of these models which were designed for fleet use.

You would never in a million years have guessed my old van had 300K miles on it.

Even the biggest city, richest, most wasteful government agencies don't use new vehicles for "training"....

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

@ncinirator @legitimate_bidder @ripsmc @marinermikes

I bought a 1990 honda civic for 500 bucks, still going strong at  500,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXZop4COqw 

Edit.... the cop said "why were you doing 65 in a 35 zone"

cause this pig won't do 90 mph.....

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

EBay motors

Looking at his feedback you have to wonder where he's coming up with all those Crown Vic police cars with low milage. I'm mean how many low milage Crown Vics can there be out there. Police cars none the less. Most with eleven thousand on them? Getting a lot of money for them. By the feedback his customers seem happy. Makes me wonder.

I have one that's in perfect condition. It must be worth way more than I thought. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply