cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car scam using Ebay

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a car seller from craigslist who sent me an invoice from Ebay to process the car. I am certain it is fake although Ebay service provides no email to forward it to I hold it in my email and its useless. I believe the phone number they have you call is fake to get your credit card. Has anyone encountered this issue? This fraud harms Ebay and Ebay seems unaware.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Car scam using Ebay

You are looking at a scam attempt.  You did not find this vehicle listed for sale on eBay; therefore, eBay has no involvement with its sale.  This is a fairly common scam on CL, Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp etc.  The scammer lists a vehicle for a ridiculously low price.  Gives a sad story: son died of leukemia and I want to sell his car, airline attendant and don't have time to drive, lost my job and need money etc.  

They tell you to buy gift cards and send the #s to the seller.  He promises he will not redeem the cards til he knows you are satisfied with it.  To that end, he will have it delivered to you at his expense for a trial period of 7-10 days.  If you don't want it, you simply contact him and he will have it retrieved, again at his own expense.

Do you see how ridiculous this is? Yet many people apparently fall for it.  STOP communicating with this piece of trash and report this listing to CL.

Not sure how you think this fraud "harms eBay".  It has nothing to do with eBay and, yes, eBay is plenty aware.  What do you think eBay can do about it, exactly? eBay does not even know about it unless/until someone comes here and inquires.  There is no way eBay can police other sites for scams.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Car scam using Ebay

If you find it on a site other than eBay and the seller tells you it will be handled by eBay and that you'll receive an invoice from eBay, it's a scam.   The bait is the super low price.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Car scam using Ebay

Ebay is aware of the scam because it's been around for years and will probably be here for years to come, because it works.

There isn't much Ebay can do since the scams are happening on other sites that they have no control over.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Car scam using Ebay

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that eperience exactly.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Car scam using Ebay

PLEASE assure us that you did not fall for this! 

Again, no point in reporting it to eBay.  It has nothing to do with them.

And not sure how you believe it harms eBay.

Did you report this to the site where you found it? 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply