cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Selling Info

Greetings All: I have a car to sell with the payment method to be Cash (In Person) but the listing says BIN. How does a listing like this complete due to the Cash payment method. Does a potential buyer go ahead and pay with PP, and then I refund when they show up with cash? Or do I allow a small PP deposit? What is the best course of action ? Thanks.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Car Selling Info

@hawkwind5454 wrote:

Crazy thought here, I know....Just curious.... This car seems to be in great condition, it has low miles and what I deem to be a very decent price for a car of this caliber. Why would you ever need to resort to eBay to move it? Kids are heading back to school/college, and this would be a great car for one of them. Why wouldn't you try CL/Locally first?  *No headaches, no hassles, and cash in hand.

*Yes, I realize....It is no perfect, world.

Those old Volvos are EXPENSIVE to maintain and repair- and the trannies are almost always bad..... That's why they're hard to move (literally :D) and go so cheap- 'cause anyone with a clue knows that in the case of an S70, a "cheap" old car isn't cheap at all, regardless of how little it cost to purchase.....

(Tony's gonna show up any minute now....)

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@hawkwind5454 wrote:

Granted....Some dickering would be needed for some of the radical repairs.  I work on my own cars, so no big deal for me, but time and money fo others

D'oh Why didn't I read that post before posting my previous post? Why did you let me do that?  I need some postum!

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

9b0388ab08e24792008fa9ffa5f5a20f--opossum-photos-of

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

No, no, no. This stuff:

poutine

Errr...actually, I guess it's made from what you posted.....

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Those old Volvos are EXPENSIVE to maintain and repair- and the trannies are almost always bad..... That's why they're hard to move (literally :D) and go so cheap- 'cause anyone with a clue knows that in the case of an S70, a "cheap" old car isn't cheap at all, regardless of how little it cost to purchase.....

(Tony's gonna show up any minute now....)

Almost every older Volvo on CL has mechincal issues, the majority of them having bad transmissions. You'd think Volvo. that has been in business since 1927, would know how to design a reliable automatic transmission.

There are about a half dozen very nice Volvos running around town with SBCs in them. One of our car club members has a 1980's Volvo coupe  with a blown small block Chevy. Not sure why, but it does look nice and scoots down the road pretty quick.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I dunno, JR, things seem to be devolving. Look at Crapillac- they haven't made a decent car in the last 40 years, that doesn't depreciate like dog excrement on a hot day in Death Valley. And of course, now, because of all the ridiculous government mandates, it's pretty much illegal to make a good car, 'cause even a small car weighs close to 4K lbs. because of all the "safety" features, and have to have all sorts of Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions on 'em (10-speed automatic trannies, direct injection under port injection, etc.) so they get 2/10ths of an MPG more than last year, and put out .000001% less plant food (CO2). It's insanity.

Hmmm....never heard of old Volvos with Chebby injuns in 'em. Weird! Kinda hard to see the point of that....

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

LB, I'd never put a SBC in a Volvo, wouldn't even buy one and I have no idea why anyone would. One club member has a SBC in his Jaguar after doing an off-frame restoration.  It looks really nice, it's the family's daily driver. I posted pictures of it at least 10 years ago on here.

Cadillac is not on y list of vehicles to buy, but next weekend going to trade in our 2015 Chevy Equinox 18K miles on a new car. We'll be looking at another SUV, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan Rogue/Murano, & Suburu. The Honda with it's turbo engine and reducing the road noise is very favorable. 

VW, Toyota,  BMW, Mercedes don't have a good rating as the Honda does. We've previously owned a CR-V and Rogue. Wife likes the Rogue and since it will be her car, she picks. I told her I'd like to steer her towards the CR-V. We'll sit down at computer, look at options and reviews go from there.  

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Yeah, JR, the Jaguar conversions I've seen- there are a lot of them running around.

Seems like you're always buying a new vehicle! 😄 Nice to know that the Hondas are still decent- Most of the other foreign brands these days, like you mentioned, are either money pits, or just poor quality these days....but apparently the manufacturers are still riding on the reputations from years ago when they were good.

Guess that's why the Hondas hold their value quite well, while the others depreciate almost as badly as Caddys these days. Mercedes used to be famous for holding it's value better than any other car....but no more!

My bro-in-law has a few year-old CR-V. Loves it.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Put the HRV on the list too. https://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Put the HRV on the list too. https://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v

Wife tried the HR-V , didn't care for it. Said it had a tremendous amount of road noise, uncomfortable. Since it is her car, she selects what she wants to buy and drive. She'll probably do the negotiating of the price too, pretty good at it.

LB, we normally buy a new car every 2 to 3 years. This year will be a little different, new 2017 Chevy 2500 and the 1935 Ford Coupe were bought earlier this year. If her 2004  Honda had not been totalled, prolly would still have that. The 2015 Chevy Equinox was bought only to tow behind the motorhome, no longer have the motorhome, want a more comfortable car with less blindspots. It's a nice car, drives nice, but if it wasn't for pulling behind the motorhome, would never have bought it. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

I'm not coming over to your house on oil-change day, JR! 😉 (Well, maybe iffin ya let me play with the old Ford.....)

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

I'm not coming over to your house on oil-change day, JR! 😉 (Well, maybe iffin ya let me play with the old Ford.....)

Only have 4 vehicles and I change oil on only the 2 old Fords. The others go to the dealer for maintenance, much cheaper than Jiffy, Oil Can Henry's, Walmart, and the other quick oil change places. Walmart wouldn't change oil on my 41 Ford last March before I sold it. Didn't have a 1 1/8 wrench for the drain plug, torque specs, nor a new gasket. I provided a new gasket and the torque spec, there was no oil filter to replace.

The 35 Ford is too low to drive over anyone's pit or lift unless driving the front tires onto a 3' length of a 2X4.

But you're welcome to come over and play with the old Ford, keys are in them. Just bring back in one piece with a full tank of gas.   sunglasses

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Oh, it'd be full of gas, JR. Just not in the tank.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Now that presents a problem, driving my car Depends upon how you control yourself.   sunglasses

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

No emissions controls on older models like LB.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply