cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use cash on the bridges in New York city?

Delivering a car to Long Island tomorrow so I check the toll over the Verrazzano–Narrows bridge. $11.52 for EZ Pass. Jesus Christ! But I don't have EZ Pass so it's $17 by mail. JHC! So there are no toll takers anymore? When did that happen? Doesn't some union in NY prevent that? And how does that toll by mail thing work? They ask your home state to send them your name and address I assume but do all states comply? There is a cost to look that up. Does NY at least pay those states something for that?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You will most likely get an email with something to print. Just put it over your license plate. EZ-PZ.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So I should cover my license plate before going on the bridge? That's a good idea but if I get pulled over I'm screwed.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Do as I say, yeah, good plan.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Why don't you just go get an EZ pass?  In Indiana they are only $10 and they work in at least 5 states that I know of. Breeze thru the toll gates in those states and they bill your credit card. As Mr. E says, EZ-PZ!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Been meaning to but would only use it once or twice a year. Never seem to get around to it.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yeah, they became EZPass-only about a year or so ago. If you don’t have one, they just take a picture of your license plate as you go through, and then send you a bill.  By the way, the Verrazano toll is paid in one direction only.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@zarchy wrote:

they just take a picture of your license plate as you go through, and then send you a bill.  

We do not have any toll roads on the east side of the state, all on the west side near Seattle. If one buys their version of the EZ pass, then get a reduced fee. Yep, they take a picture of the vehicle license plate.

Some people put the protective clear covers over their plates, which blurs out the plate number. Some put on the retractable license plate holders to do the same. There even was a news article about a man that bought license plates at yard sales, flea markets, etc, would put them on to beat the system. He eventually was caught when he was stopped for speeding. He had not gone to court at the time of the article. It was a felony to do what he did.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It turns out they only collect the tolls going the opposite direction I was going. They still stick you on the bridge right before that one but at least it's "only" for $15 and you can pay cash at the toll booth.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

In Florida I use SunPass....

Message 10 of 10
latest reply