cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a motor home on eBay

Does this look like a scam? The is advertising her motor home for sale from EBay Logistics Dept???

The RV is already at eBay Logistic Department in Montana, created and ready to go. The Logistic Department will deliver the RV to your home.
The payment will be made through eBay. I'm under Contract with eBay which states that we can close the deal using their service.Very Important, Only after you will receive the RV, eBay will release the money to me.The money will be sent per eBay instruction and you will give the payment details only to eBay. They will verify the payment and when the money is confirmed they will notify me to proceed with the shipping process. After you receive and see that the RV is the one you want, you just notify eBay to give me the money. They have it all wrapped up in a container. In my situation, I find it easier to let them deal with it. Please do understand, it's nothing personal. If you want, I can still have them send you the invoice so you can get more insight on how this works, with no obligation to buy it. Thank you!”

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Did you find this motorhome  on CL or another non-eBay site and they promised you eBay was handling the sale and shipping? 

This is not true. 

eBay doesn't hold payments until the buyer says to pay the seller.

There is no Logistic Dept.

eBay doesn't handle payments on vehicles.

The fake invoice you'll get is sent to you by the scammer if you give them your email address.  They're trying to steal gift cards. The phone number and email in the fake invoice connects to the scammer.

Forward it to spoof@ebay.com and report the listing on the site you found it. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Run Forrest Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most common scams going.  Others will fill in more details, but it is not legit.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Did you find this motorhome  on CL or another non-eBay site and they promised you eBay was handling the sale and shipping? 

This is not true. 

eBay doesn't hold payments until the buyer says to pay the seller.

There is no Logistic Dept.

eBay doesn't handle payments on vehicles.

The fake invoice you'll get is sent to you by the scammer if you give them your email address.  They're trying to steal gift cards. The phone number and email in the fake invoice connects to the scammer.

Forward it to spoof@ebay.com and report the listing on the site you found it. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I have put this out before, and it seemed helpful...IF you are buying ANY motor vehicle on ANY website, tell the seller you would like to have the vehicle inspected prior to purchase.  If the seller starts to give you reasons why it CANNOT be inspected prior to funds being transferred stop communications and move on.  Any reasonable, trustworthy, ACTUAL owner/dealer/seller will accommodate your request...there are services that do these inspections for online motor vehicle sales...too many scammers to not have this done...

Good Luck!!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any transaction that begins on a site other than eBay (craigslist, facebook marketplace, letgo, offerup, et all) where the "seller" tells you it will be completed on eBay is a scam, 100% of the time.  There are NO exceptions to this rule.  

Any "invoice" that is sent to you will not be from eBay, but from the scammer.

As soon as you give the scammer-pretending-to-be-eBay the payment information, your money is gone forever.

eBay ships nothing, has no shipping containers, handles no transactions on behalf of sellers.   

The bait is always a super low price, making the would-be buyer think, "I had better jump on this great deal before someone else does."

There is no motorhome, only pictures the scammer lifted off the internet.

I hope you haven't fallen for the scam and I'm glad you came here to ask your questions.  Best of luck to ya.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks so much for your advice & no way did I fall for this that is why I put my question to the forum.

let’s shut these scammer/thieves down!!!!

I really appreciate you guys!!

Merry Christmas 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"It's all wrapped up in a container" 

Must be a pretty big container!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Marketplace it was through the marketplace

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The original post here is dated 12/17/20.

If you've run into a similar problem, like finding something to buy on another site, not eBay, feel free to either return here and give details, or. better yet, start a new post.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply