cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer beware!!

I bought a corolla catback back in february. I was able to get it installed last week by a mechanic and came to find out that it was 12" short. I contacted the seller not to return the exhaust but to ask for advice on how I could fix the shortage on the exhaust. I sent various emails and not one reply. I was hoping to buy another piece separately from the seller to make up the gap. I had to get the mechanic to fabricate a piece to fit. So, what had seemed like a plug and play upgrade turned out to be more involved than I expected. I hope my experience can help someone in a similar situation.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer beware!!

You could have returned this for refund, or just bought an extension to fill the gap. You or seller got their measurements wrong. Extensions have saved me many of times doing this type of work in my younger days on my hoopies. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Well that sucks!

Any chance that either you or the seller confused 4-door with 2-door model? (Just a guess, as it seems like that would account for a 12" discrepancy. But either way, the seller should have responded.

This is why, when it comes to large items which are expensive to ship, I only buy locally. One problem, and lose any benefit of the few dollars you saved, and it usually ends up costing more than if you just would've dealt locally.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The exhaust can vary by engine option and even vary on the same  model year and engine. Maybe one version for a Federal 49 state model and another model for the Big Brother state of California.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Where is the cat converter? Would that happen to be where it goes or is it located in another area of the exhaust?  Regardless, an extension is quick and easy to fabricate and install.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I wondered about the converter, too.  The space that is shown is about what you would expect with a converter missing.

You mentioned that it is a "cat back" system.  What year?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Pardon my ignorance, but, a cat-back on a Corolla does exactly what besides cost money and do nothing?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You just get out of hibernation?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The cat back was bought to replace a  stock rusted out exhaust system on a 95 corolla. The system was advertised as fitting 93-97 corollas. At the time it seemed the best option to replace the whole system but if I would have known that I would have to hunt down more parts after buying the kit, I would have bought the whole thing locally. Needless to say I still have not received not 1 response out of all the emails sent. All I wanted was advice on how to make up the gap.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply