330 REPLIES 330

How many Nam Vets are there here with us on this board

SSG, USAF, 14th Air Commando Wing, Nha Trang AB, RVN. 3/67-3-68
Message 226 of 331
latest reply

jdh112350
Enthusiast
USN. River Rat 1st tour, 2nd tour aboard USS Constellation CVA-64 (Ships Company) as IC2. I was being drafted so I went ahead and joined the Navy.
Message 227 of 331
latest reply

slvspur
Enthusiast
I was drafted into the Army on August 8, 1967. Went to Nam in June of 1968, left in June 1969. Served with the "A" company of the 716th Military Police Battalion in Cholon. They were hurting bad after TET '68, having lost more than thirty men. I was a replacement, though I had not had MP training. I worked in supply, but also got on the job training in MP work as I did 12 on, 12 off shifts protecting BEQ's, BOQ's, ammo dumps, etc. all over Cholon and Saigon. I am proud of my service, no matter how mundane it may seem.

Carl
Message 228 of 331
latest reply

slvspur
Enthusiast
While in Viet Nam, I ordered a LeMans Blue 1969 Camaro SS 350 at the Saigon PX. Paid a total of $3377 with $250 down. I picked it up in San Fransisco after DEROS in Oakland. Drove it home to Redondo Beach, Calif. What a homecoming that drive down the coast was! I still have that car and all the memories. I was 21 then. Now I'm 60.

Carl
Message 229 of 331
latest reply

slvspur, do you like the smell of fish? I went through Cholon a few times. Is your Camaro worth at least ten times what you paid for it?
Message 230 of 331
latest reply

slvspur
Enthusiast
That rotten fish smell is memorable to say the least. I took pictures of the fish market, in it's muddy stinking setting. I swear I can smell that stank each time I see those pictures. And yes, my Camaro is worth about seven or eight times what I paid for it.
Message 231 of 331
latest reply

Did you eat any of the local food there? How about that fish sauce. Hang a bunch of little fish on a clothes line in the sun. Let the flies at them while the drippings are caught on a piece of corrugated tin. Save it in a jar and pour it over your rice for lunch. Yum. Slice open that French bread your hootch maid brought you and kick out the bugs. Slap some peanut butter on it and wash it down with a canteen full of Start instant breakfast drink. I guess if you could down that warm Falstaff beer you could stomach anything.
Message 232 of 331
latest reply

vet67-68
Enthusiast
I served in 67-68 with the 195th assault helicopter company based out of Long Bien
I was a crew chief doorgunner with the gun platoon flying c models gunship with the call sign thunder chickens .
We supported whoever needed gunships that day .
Spent 6 months flying MACSOG supporting special forces teams going into Cambodia at the time.
I went back in 1996 to deal with my demons ,ended up moving to Saigon in 2000 and stayed until 2004 unfortunately I still have the demons .
Learned a lot about Mr. Ho Chi Minh which a lot or most of us Vets did not know when we were there .
He and his Viet Minh (later to be called the Viet Cong) were spies for the U.S. forces in China during the Japanese occupancy of Vietnam .His intentions were to become allies with the U.S. to have Vietnam free.
He wanted to model Vietnam after the U.S. and have democracy for Vietnam but we decided to let the French back into Vietnam after WW2 and turned our back on him ,forcing him to the Russians and Chinese for support .This info is all documented in his life story .
If we understood the cultures better that we decide to go to war with it would probably make things a lot better for the tropps to understand what we are dealing with .
Any way three wives later the V.A. is still trying to figure me out ,good luck .
I ride a 05 soft tail fx less grief than the wives .
Message 233 of 331
latest reply

U.S.M.C MCRDSD Pt2048 from 3/69 to 5/92 I will never for-get them YELLOW FOOT PRINTS.......
Message 234 of 331
latest reply

Darn near forgot about them yellow footprints...MCRD Sandy Dego.

B-)
Message 235 of 331
latest reply

I was in Platoon 2222.
Message 236 of 331
latest reply

(To vet67-68) Ho Chi Minh helped form the French Communist party in 1920. How much democracy do you think he was intersted in in 1945, or 1954.
Message 237 of 331
latest reply

I'm a Nam vet, 100% disabled. OH-6 Crewchief/doorgunner for Warlords, Chu Lai, 1968. It was interesting...
I now spend my time (retired you see..) battling moonbats with the Gathering of Eagles. The stuff done to us will not be tolerated today. Never again, not on my watch.
Message 238 of 331
latest reply

automanjim
Enthusiast
2nd bat 5th marines motor trans 73/77
Message 239 of 331
latest reply

Co A 2/27 Wolfhounds- 1968-69
Message 240 of 331
latest reply