cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app not supported on older systems

If you have been notified that your eBay app is no longer supported here are some steps to get the latest version onto your device. To get the most up to date version you need to have Android 6 or higher on your device.

Android 6 and up get the latest version from the Google Play store

Android 5 get an older version from the Google Play store and we recommend you upgrade your system to Android 5.1.1.

Android 4 and below we recommend using the Chrome browser and visit ebay.com.

If there are difficulties getting the update to download please try the following:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9037938?hl=en

Thank you

Message 1 of 142
latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Re: Android app version no longer supported

@clocktickfixer 

Please uninstall the app, follow all the steps here

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9037938?hl=en

Now reinstall the app

Message 61 of 142
latest reply

New bug on Android app, trying to Leave Feedback it won't let you enter a comment and instead jumps back to the item and out of the 'Leave feedback' screen. Has been like this for a few weeks now. Tried uninstalling app and re-installing but this didn't fix the problem.

Message 62 of 142
latest reply

I left my reply to the first post.
Message 63 of 142
latest reply

I had been using the eBay Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for a little over two years mostly without issues. My phone is running a customized Lineage OS 14.1 ROM (based on Android 7.1.2 AOSP code.) I do not use GApps: which means I don't have Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, etc.

For over two years I've used eBay's Android app without any Google services on my phone. Rarely any issues. Having the eBay app was great... I increased my buying habits on eBay probably ~80%. Before I installed the eBay Android app, I used eBay for the occasional hard to find item; with the app I started buying a lot more from eBay and got into the eBay bucks program. Sadly, eBay has changed something in their app which now REQUIRES Google Services Framework (GSF.) The eBay app has always told me with a pop-up message that "this app requires Google Services to work." But I always ignored that message because it the app worked fine without Google's spyware. Maybe I had limited functionality, but it worked and I enjoyed the eBay app.

Now that eBay has changed their app so it really does require GSF (a proprietary privacy invading software that I won't use) my one eBay purchase was to use my remaining eBay bucks.

I'm here to tell eBay that this app change is a mistake and I will explain why. I realize I'm a small fish and their are not a lot of privacy conscious people like me (AKA: to eBay, losing me and the like-minded Android dev community is an acceptable and negligible loss.) I do want to point out that my fellow Android devs are not the kind of people eBay should alienate because we are the people who make code commits to Android's source code that shapes it's future functionality and we make the apps that mainstream everyday Android users use. But this is not the backbone of my argument against eBay's business decision with their recent Android app changes. The real reason this is a mistake is that the eBay app will no longer function on older Android devices (which cuts out a lot of budget devices that normal people use, especially the financially intelligent working class people who cannot spend (or will not waste) a $1000 for a new phone: the very same people who often turn to eBay to save money; especially with COVID-19 leaving a lot of people unemployed.)

Me personally? I can access eBay via Mobile browser (I had to use my mobile browser to spend my last eBay bucks that I had accumulated with the eBay Android app.)

The eBay app made using eBay so easy that I bought a lot more from eBay due to sheer convenience. But now that eBay blocked the older eBay app versions (they "require an upgrade") but the new app version will not run without the closed-source Google apps (GApps) I personally won't be using eBay much anymore (just occasional odd items.)

But eBay doesn't care about me (it's not personal, it's a business of scale and online appeal to the mainstream masses.) Well, I can tell you that breaking the eBay app for older versions of Android is a big mistake. Most people cannot just upgrade their device's version of Android... Android upgrades start with devs from Google, going through code changes by OEM device manufacturers and then left to cellular carriers to make final changes (like locking a phone to the carrier) and then the cellular carrier gets to decide if they will push an update to older Android phones or not. This is how Samsung's many phones that flood the used phone market at low prices in perfect working condition are (not) updated. That is a lot of cellular market share to not have your mobile application platform working on.

Even if you know how to upgrade your phone's Android version (like I did to my Galaxy S5) it cannot be done in most cases due to cellular carriers having locked the device's bootloader (the hardware will not boot an OS that isn't signed by the cellular carrier's private keys.) Some phones can be "hacked" using a variety of exploits to get around this and load a custom ROM despite a locked bootloader. But the type of people who can do this (like me) wouldn't do it just to make eBay more convenient to use: do you know why? 🤔

I'll tell you why: because you have competition in the online auction space. Most people will just get Amazon Prime and use that instead of eBay. I personally hate Amazon for several reasons; but I hold no such grudge against eBay. On the contrary, I respect eBay because eBay (unlike Amazon) was always respectful to me when I was a seller on eBay years ago. But it's more than just Amazon... do you (eBay) really think you have a monopoly with online resale auctions? All it'll take is for a better platform to come along (I realize that's easier said than done) and eBay will be in the history books next to myspace and AOL.

I am posting this for two reasons: I am upset that I can't use eBay's mobile app anymore. The inconvenience of a mobile browser does upset me and will lower my eBay usage.

My other reason is because I genuinely care about eBay (or rather I care about preventing an Amazon monopoly) and I do honestly believe eBay is making a huge mistake here. When somebody installs the eBay app and it doesn't work right away: they'll uninstall it and move on to a competitor. They won't stick around like me and other people who have successfully used eBay's mobile app in the past, hoping that newer eBay app versions will work for us now. eBay is losing potential customers every day... I don't think eBay realizes how important mobile devices are in many people's lives and how many people shop on mobile devices. Either that or eBay's management/executives are too busy padding their bonuses and (to quote another post here) something about a circle jerk 🤔.

I probably won't get a reply from eBay. I do hope that somebody high up with eBay reads this though. I have a question for somebody high up enough in eBay to know the answer to this: why did you make this FORCED change to the eBay app?

I'm guessing it has something to do with using GSF to get location information from eBay app users. I haven't been able to get the eBay app to work at all on Android 9 (a different phone with my own customized Lineage OS ROM... a phone that incidentally I bought on the eBay app back when it worked.) However I did get rid of the message about the eBay app not working without Google Services by using some signature spoofing and feeding the eBay app some location data 🤔. Which tells me that this change in eBay's app is because eBay wants to track the exact location of their users... but why? eBay: you have my home address and credit card, why do you need to track my phone's location? Is eBay doing this in the hopes of selling aggregated customer data for profit?

That is not eBay's core business model. Successful businesses stick to a plan. eBay wouldn't be able to compete against Google with Big Data analytics. Google gets all of this information (and much more than eBay could with their app.) Google would be able to sell a much more comprehensive customer analytic data profile than eBay ever would be able to. eBay should do eBay.

Is it not enough that I am logged into my eBay account linked to my name and address? Does eBay need my exact location every minute of the day, despite having access to my data already in my eBay account?

Seriously I would like it if eBay would show me the respect they've shown me in the past by providing an honest answer to my questions here. It doesn't have to be a public answer, feel free to send me an email.

Is it a fraud prevention mechanism? 🤔 I can respect that... but I know a lot about fraud (I'm in cybersecurity, I have fought against fraud.) But let's be frank... anybody who trys to commit fraud on a cellular device is just asking to get caught. If eBay's reasoning for this is as an anti-fraud mechanism: then I'm calling **bleep**. Unless carders and other online thieves have recently become stupid; then they would not be engaging in criminal activity on a cellular carrier (and Google) controlled device with a built-in GPS 🤔.

I honestly would like to help. The Android Open source community is truly a special group of talented developers who give their time to projects asking next to nothing in return. I bet an open source eBay mobile app would gain a lot of developer attention and would be greatly improved by the community. Obviously eBay has to keep some parts proprietary, but a developer API with eBay's servers could make for some pretty cool eBay integrated Android apps. I personally have had interest in making an eBay Android app, but that is out of my skillset. An open source eBay app could be made by using WebView and some good UI (user interface) designs. I am not a designer... if I made an eBay app, it would just be a single sandboxed WebView app that opened eBay.com's mobile website; which is nothing more than a glorified (Google) Chrome browser tab in an app. Maybe I'd replace eBay's ADs with my own ADs 😂 (this is a joke just FYI.) I'm not going to make an eBay app and even if I did, nobody would use it. I could modify the existing eBay app... but quite frankly it would be time consuming and probably would be against some rules (at least ethical ones) but a simple mod to add a dark mode would be nice 🤔.

I'm sad that my easy buying experience on eBay appears to be gone. I might get the eBay app working with a virtual environment and location spoofing on my new phone... but this is too much work for me just to make it easier for me to be your customer. I refuse to buy from Amazon... I guess I'll get more things from local stores like the old days 🤔.

Message 64 of 142
latest reply

DuckDuckGo's browser is based on (Google) Chromium source code... that is the same codebase that makes up "Android System WebView" (or "Google System WebView") system application on all Android devices.

It is highly likely that I recent version of Google's System WebView has a change (or a bug) in the code that (for whatever reason) does not work correctly with eBay.

Firefox (unlike most browser apps) does not use Android's built-in WebView to, well... view webpages lol. Firefox has its own webview engine called GeckoView (GV.) This is why many things that don't work in Chrome (or apps that rely on Android WebView) will work in FireFox.

There are really two web browsers: Firefox and Chromium... all other browsers are based on the source code of one or the other (usually chromium.) Even Microsoft gave up on web browsers and MS Edge is just Chromium codebase.

The update that messed things up for you... could be because of an update to WebView; if you go into settings and view all apps (even system apps) find "Android System WebView" system app and see if you can "Uninstall updates" for it. It won't let you disable it as it is an important app and almost nothing will function correctly without it.

You could also try searching Google Play for "Google Webview" (it has a gear icon last I saw and reviews from people asking why they have it and what it's for.) Install Google WebView and reboot phone... Google WebView might overtake the built-in system webview and maybe fix your issues.

A browser I like is "Privacy Browser" it is open source... here's a link (rules on links? idk)

f-droid.org/packages/com.stoutner.privacybrowser.standard

This is the browser I'm using now. It blocks ADs and allows you to change the user-agent string so your browser can appear as a certain model of desktop browser or mobile browser... it can "trick" a website into giving you a full desktop webpage this way. I think Privacy Browser uses WebView... but I'm not sure. Probably it does because the APK file is so small (thus a lot of the code is probably from system webview.) This is why Firefox is such a big APK size... it has it's own web rendering engine.

Message 65 of 142
latest reply

That's a friggin'  joke..... Still not working on 4.4.2 version android.

Message 66 of 142
latest reply

hello yes I know I haven't updated the app in a while but I have a reason I can't update anything my Google account that I'm using for this has gotten deleted can I please get a chance I really want this app

Message 67 of 142
latest reply

Not happy 😐

Message 68 of 142
latest reply

Very disappointed you are discontinuing the Ebay App, hate using browser. This will lead many to stop using Ebay as I probably will too.

Message 69 of 142
latest reply

Don't know why I'm getting this message my android system is 7.1  so why are you telling me this ???????

Message 70 of 142
latest reply

I  have  a very  old Samsung  android  tablet  so I  wasn't  surprised  to get this message. I uninstalled and opened my ebay full screen for tablet app. It works.

Message 71 of 142
latest reply

Looks like support for anything running any version of Android 4 has been dropped. "We are sorry but this version of the app is no longer supported. Please take a moment to update to the latest version."

Translation - "We see you're using an old version of our app because we won't allow our newer versions to run on your phone. Our best suggestion is to tell to you to do something we know you can't. Please go away."
Message 72 of 142
latest reply

why would you force me to buy a new tablet? I don't understand why you'd be so irrational?

i've been using version 5.3.0.11 for many years on my solid 4.4.4 workhorse, until you pushed me out a few months ago. this version was lightnkng fast and nice. the only bug, sometimes not fully rendered preview pix was solved with a workaround of putting the app into background and foreground again, so due to its speed, this was nothing .. 

I then found the version 5.10.0.11 as the only one that can still run on my system. it slowed down tremendously compared with the earlier one - but - well, the web version was even much slower and incomparably more troublesome, so ...

now today you're pushing me out your app altogether. what's going on? am I not one of your most loyal customers, both buyer and seller?

please explain. why do you force me to buy a new tablet with lollipop on? my present kitkat works perfectly with all the other things I use (fb, yt, the works ...)

it's shocking what developers are up to these days. aren't you working against the interests of your own employer by alienating those who're actually using your kit? it's a far cry from the accessability and compatibility ethos that programmers used to be so proud about.

this must be accounted for not by soothing words of 'sorry'. I want an app that still works. it feels like you're switching off my chip and that is very dark doomsday stuff indeed.

regards,

reinhard_schleining

Message 73 of 142
latest reply

Having been a long time user of e bay and a regular buyer, I wake up to find a forced update on my phone and when I try to update a "this app is no longer compatible message," and a use the browser solution. I am sure I'm not the only one who finds this unacceptable, my phone is the same as it was yesterday and does e bay think I'm going to rush out and buy a new phone because of them? Gumtree did the same thing last year and I haven't used them since.

As for using a chrome browser to access e bay, its totally useless on a phone, believe it or not that's the reason we have apps for mobile devices.

If ebay cannot update and still support existing customers then they need to find better software (engineers?) jokers maybe a better name.

Pierre Omidyar (e bay founder) maybe able to just pop out and buy the latest mobile device when he feels like it most of us cannot. 

Message 74 of 142
latest reply

this is completely devistating for the disabled we cant aford new phones crome dosent work at all

this update is racist and violates the american with disabulitys act by taking something that is saposed to be ava8lable to the public but only if you spend a bunch of money on this or that product

is ebay gona buy me a new phone so i can use.the app what about fixing the stupid web site so it actualy works

i guess ebay just hates the disabled and the poor and people of color

thats why you forced us to stop using your site

Message 75 of 142
latest reply