cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOLD SELLER GOT AWAY AFTER SELLING A DEFECTIVE EXPENSIVE COIN

Seeking by sincere advice I’ll tell only the facts to this community:

1. the seller’s listing showed among other pics, a pic of the coin completely unattached from the bolo tie made of elk horn, so it suggested that the coin was only attached with prongs as it looked in the other pictures. The listing title reads” Mexican Gold Centenario 50 Pesos Elk Horn Bolo Tie”

2. contrary to my expectations, the coin arrived tightly glued to the bolo tie bone. It took me weeks to carefully remove the glue and clean the coin only to find out that the supposedly pure gold coin had silverish big spots on the reverse.

3. After contacting the seller, she agreed to replace the coin but I had to wait for a month after she was back from vacation. (there was not an eBay option “item not as described” as there usually is), so I contacted the seller directly.

4. I decided to explain my concerns to the eBay community about such a long waiting time of a month for the replacement of the coin.

5.- The eBay community unanimously suggested asking for a refund since the long waiting time proposed by the seller looked more like a stalling strategy.

6. When I asked the seller for a refund, she insisted to replace the coin for a similar one without problems since she had more coins like that, but the exchange couldn’t happen immediately but until she was back from vacation; the seller also suggested that in the meantime I looked for a jeweler to check for the authenticity of the coin, in order for her to prove that she was acting in good faith but didn’t know that the coin was defective, and after believing in her good faith I accepted to have a replacement instead of a refund.

7. I checked the coin with a jeweler who agreed that the coin was authentic but defective since it had such silver spots.

8. I communicated with the seller about the jeweler’s opinion and she ( the seller) made a sudden move by calling the eBay representative to close the case. ( I am positive that the eBay representative didn’t read all the texts that we both had exchanged about her accepting to replace the coin. The case was closed in seller’s favor.

My problem now is that when I try to sell that defective coin, I’ll have to disclose such defects to the prospective buyer and the price is going to go very low.

As an honest seller myself, I’m not going to cover up such defects as she did by gluing the coin to the elk bone again in order to sell it.

After she got the case closed, I told her that I was going to share the whole experience with the eBay community. The seller sent me the last message and closed her arguments by saying that my wife ( when I Pass away) is not going to have a problem when she tries to sell the defective coin since she ( the seller) didn’t have any problem when she sold it to me. Also, she recommended I tell the eBay community the facts as she conceives them, or none of the eBay gold sellers were going ever to sell gold to me. This was really insensitive, cynical, and preposterous because I trusted her about giving this coin to my wife as an inheritance when I pass away.

Thank you very much to you all.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: GOLD SELLER GOT AWAY AFTER SELLING A DEFECTIVE EXPENSIVE COIN

Is the coin real or fake??

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@bioethical 

Sorry that happened, but the seller stalled long enough that the MBG had expired.

If you paid with Pay Pal, they give you 180 days to file a claim or contact your credit card.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I know nothing about peso coins, bolo ties or elk horns…

but, a couple of questions…

you stated it was suggested it was attached in the photo. 

as you weren’t sure how it was attached, did you ask seller before purchasing “how was it attached?”

when you received the coin, did you open a return BEFORE you started to detach the coin?

and, you stated the coin is authentic as verified by a jeweler. 

so, again not knowing what value the bolo tie and elk horn added…

was it the coin you were purchasing or the coin + attached items?

if you were unhappy with purchase when received, you should have opened a return and not altered the item so you could have returned.  

altered items are not returnable…thus, your return was closed. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your questions.

In one of the pictures, the 37.5 grams gold coin was completely unattached from the bolo tie, in the other pictures the coin looked supported by four prongs ( there was no way to see the glue). it wasn't until I received it that I found out the coin was also glued and also secured by the four prongs. Obviously, the seller glued the coin after taking the pictures and the listing never explained that it was glued.

I was interested primarily in the coin,  not the bolo tie. The bolo tie doesn't have an interesting value.

eBay first suggested that I tried to get a solution by contacting the seller, which I did. I didn't hesitate to get a replacement from the seller since she is a very reputable one.

In other words, I bought a $2,700 value coin. The bolo tie was only an accessory to show the coin.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The jeweler that checked its measures, weight and acid tested, told me that it was real but defective. it's a 37.5 grams gold coin whose value is $2,700.00

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you very much for your advise.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply