cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is This Sewing Item?

Morning!  I know..this is not  the right board..but searching around I wasn`t finding any 'action' for sewing questions anywhere..so hoping some sewers here. I searched online for Dritz sewing tools..no luck

This was in an old button box..what in the world is it/ what`s it used for/ or is it just a part of something else? Since it has a hole in it..my brain is saying it is 'part' of something..but not sure.

Tankee! 

DSCN9641.jpg

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: What Is This Sewing Item?

Seam ripper? How big is it?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

It`s 3 3/4" long & 1/2 wide. 

I don`t think it`s a seam ripper...I have several seam rippers, but none look like this. It`s the center hole that makes me think it`s part of something

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Weaving shuttle?
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Hmmmm....I think ya might be onto something there, 106576. 

I see lots of wooden shuttle sticks on google (no metal ones) but the shape/design is the same.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

My best guess is part of a buttonhole maker.  But having never made a buttonhole I have no idea how they work. It's all I can do to sew in a straight line.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Possibly used to adjust some metal part in/on a buttonhole maker? I'll see what I can find. How big is it?

A.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

It is a weaving shuttle. 

Vic

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Good idea but I think must weaving shuttles are rounded at the tips. Also, this tool doesn't have anywhere to spool the yarn around the middle.

I ran across some point-turning tools but none of them had two ends.

Still looking...

A.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Ok... here's one last thought -- remembering some of my mother's sewing things. When you're inserting elastic into a waistband you've just created, you could use one or the other end to hold the fabric tube open with one hand while you stuff elastic in with the other.

Grabbing at straws here. I kinda think I've seen one of these things but not sure where, when, or the context. I don't think Dritz made anything other than sewing tools and accessories.

A.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

It`s 3 3/4" x 1/2"

After 106576`s post..I started looking at the shuttles..here`s just one pic of many I see..but all I see online seem to be  made of wood & no hole.

shuttles.jpg  

I don`t think is anything related to a button holer either..at least none like I`ve ever seen.

It`s no biggie if we can`t find it  I just thought when I listed the button box I would add it & wondered what to call it😊

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Could it be a tying shuttle for needlework? I’ve seen plastic ones but not metal. 

Vic

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for all your help! 

It sure looks like a shuttle of some kind..so guess I`ll go withan 'unsigned/unknown beauty' route as we do on jools!  🤔🤓

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

It's definitely an embroidery or weaving/tatting whatsit. I'd be wondering about it being part of a tatting shuttle.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I also thought tatting as my aunt used to do that but did not think of a part of the piece. Another idea that I had was it might be a knitting yarn place holder of some sort?
Message 15 of 25
latest reply