cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms for buyers - is there a dictionary we can refer them to?

This is one of those "someday this will be funny" stories (not now of course):

A woman bought a vintage rhinestone necklace from me.  She sent me a message today (3 weeks after purchase) and said that she took it to a pawn shop and the owner said it was "fake".  Well so did I! I listed it as rhinestone in COSTUME jewelry.

So that got me to wondering that maybe she didnt really know what rhinestones are or costume vs fashion vs fine.  I know I have had issues with buyers in teh past who thought that gold filled meant "filled with gold" and should be solid gold.  I even had a seller who truly thought that amber and jade were colors not gemstones.

So is there a dictionary of terms that we can refer buyers to or should we just state the stupid and obvious in the listing - "This isnt a diamond it is a fake piece of glass" or "this is only gold on the outside and not solid gold" in all our listings?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Terms for buyers - is there a dictionary we can refer them to?

Suggest they google costume jewelry before making an assumption!
Minsatisstuff Hodgepodge Collection
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

LOL sorry Rix but I'm over here laughing. Reminds me of a bar patron a few years ago who very indignantly informed me "There is no vodka in this margarita."

I wouldn't change anything or overstate the obvious, that's what ASQ is for. Seems those buyers are infrequent; I'd just let them sort it out themselves.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Just wondering.  Did they purchase the item while on their phone?  I'm noticing more and more complaints from buyers that purchase while using their phone as the device  they view ebay on.   They don't get to see all the details, notes or???  Maybe they don't read through everything because it's not as easy to see everything. 

Not it sure how she could have thought they were diamonds.  Lol. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately too many people just don't actually read anymore . They either don't have the patience, a broad vocabulary or are functionally illiterate.  When you used a word with more than 4 or 5 letters they have no comprehension of the word . 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agree, people don't read. I sold a Victorian, gold filled and garnet ring as is, it was missing 1 stone and another was a two small replacement. I had closeups of the problems with arrows and notes in the photos as well as in the description. The high bidder returned the ring then gave me negative feedback saying it was not as described.

She just didn't look at all the photos or read the description!

Luckily, since it clearly was as described, ebay removed the neg within minutes of my calling them.

PS, too funny, I just ran spell check before hitting post, and "ebay" comes up as misspelled Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

This same buyer is now asking for half her money back and has hinted that it is so much trouble to file a dispute.  I say no to partials - return it and get a full refund or keep it and shut up.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Here are a couple of good ones.

http://www.allaboutjewels.com/jewel/glossary/index.shtml

and

http://www.langantiques.com/university/Category:Jewelry_Glossary

P.S. I wouldn't do a partial either.  Good luck.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply