cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a jewelry question but a 1099 question

Okay I have heard two separate things.  I was told that all sellers who sell more than 600.00 on Ebay will get a 1099 form in January of 2024 so they can report any sales over 600 to the IRS.     Then I was just told that no that is not going to take effect until we file our 2024 taxes so not until 2025.  I have looked and cannot seem to find which one is true. Anyone on the board know which one is true?  

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Not a jewelry question but a 1099 question

@mimiwells 

It's true that the IRS has announced a delay to the implementation of the lower $600 threshold at which payment processors (like eBay) are required to send a 1099-K. On Nov 29, 2023, the IRS said that the current threshold ($20,000 and 200 transactions) will still be in place for tax year 2023. They are planning to use a $5000 threshold for tax year 2024, as a phase in leading to implementing the $600 threshold for tax year 2025.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-delay-in-form-1099-k-reporting-threshold-for-third-party-...

eBay has not yet made an announcement about whether they will comply with this delay. the thresholds are the minimum amount; there is nothing in the rules that says payment processors can't send a 1099-K for a lesser amount. But given how hard eBay has been lobbying against this, I don't think there is much chance that eBay will send out 1099-Ks if they are not required to. Last year, eBay didn't make an announcement acknowledging the delay until Dec 29, 2022.

Remember that some states already have lower thresholds, so eBay has to follow the state threshold if it is lower than the federal one.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Not a jewelry question but a 1099 question

Thank you so much that does make it clearer.  I appreciate it.  I was confused about which way it was going to happen.  Either way most of us report our earnings anyway.    Thanks again.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply