cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in the ID of this necklace, and the stones it has.

This I thought was an easy one but can't find anything like it, can anybody please guide me to find a similar one or with ideas on how to describe it, and also the name of the iridescent stones used in it, it seems to have a signature or mark, but also could just be the pliers  when it was done,it measures 19 1/2" L.

thank you all.collarcollar1collar2

If plan "A" Didn't work. The alphabet has 25 more letters! stay cool.
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Need help in the ID of this necklace, and the stones it has.

Personally, I think calling labradorite a moonstone is like calling a garnet a ruby and then saying well they are both red.  It has been my experience that creating "trade names" for something when it isn't that thing, is generally done as a keyword and then has caught on.  Then people that really know better start calling it by the "trade name" because people search that word and their items sell.  Unfortunately, calling something, something it isn't, is simply another way of misrepresenting an item because everyone else is.  JMHO

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I agree with aĺl that 100%.
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Those stones look like moonstones to me, not labradorite.  I have never seen such pale labradorite, if they are...

Both stones have a certain appeal to them, but neither are particularly valuable, so I don't see why people would bother misidentifying them (unless, I guess, one is wildly more popular than another)...

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Deception or ignorance on the part of the sellers,number of websites with trade names.  Google "fake gemstone trade names".

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Thank you all for the responses ,here is a picture I just took outside, sorry it's about to start pouring and there is no sun. After checking on lots of images, this looks like a moonstone.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0301.JPG

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

By reading this I believe the stones are (moonstones and)  real and not man made/fake gemstones. am I right?

http://invoguejewelry.blogspot.com/2015/05/moonstone-or-opalite-how-to-spot.html

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Yes, I do believe those are genuine Moonstones and not Labradorite.  They are too milky for Labradorite.  Just my opinion and it would be impossible to know for certain without testing them, but it is a pretty educated guess.   

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Trying to id a stone by a picture alone sometimes is like trying to get blood from a turnip without having the piece in hand.  Especially when that stone could be two or more types of stones.  Everyone here has given there opinions on your necklace and the stones they think are in it.  Again, the only way you will know for sure is to take it to either a jeweler, a gemologist or a rock hound.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

its moonstone 🙂

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@rubiano98 Have you seen the countertops they make out of labradorite? Mama mia!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@gauntlettgems wrote:
@rubiano98 Have you seen the countertops they make out of labradorite? Mama mia!

Now THAT sounds like a countertop to command attention Smiley Surprised Me, I'm old-fashioned, have tile countertops.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

They are so beautiful!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 28 of 28
latest reply