cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in the ID of this necklace, and the stones it has.

This I thought was an easy one but can't find anything like it, can anybody please guide me to find a similar one or with ideas on how to describe it, and also the name of the iridescent stones used in it, it seems to have a signature or mark, but also could just be the pliers  when it was done,it measures 19 1/2" L.

thank you all.collarcollar1collar2

If plan "A" Didn't work. The alphabet has 25 more letters! stay cool.
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Need help in the ID of this necklace, and the stones it has.

Check out  the gem Rainbow Moonstone

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Thank you so much!!!

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I think the stones are labradorite.

Is the metal sterling? That would make sense with labradorite stones.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Hello back, I just tested it and yes, even when it's not hallmarked it's sterling silver,  the stones do look iridescent but a pale iridescence on them, thanks for the leads!

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

collar4collar5

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

looks like moonstone
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

The whole necklace is very amateur/student/hobbyist made. The mark on the jump ring is over heated solder disolving the silver.Rainbow/blue flash moonstone are trade names for labradorite.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

It's moon stone made in India
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I too believe this is labradorite.  You might want to read this:

http://www.jckonline.com/2016/02/19/labradorites-blue-rainbow-moonstone

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

It's Moonstone.  Not Rainbow Moonstone, just Moonstone.    

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I think it is nicely made.  I once posted a ring and was told it was amatuer craftsmanship and that it should have gone on the scrap pile to be redone, but I contacted Nevada Gems and they explained in detail that it was well-crafted and the silver "pitting"  could be because it was crafted from a silver ingot.  So opinions are just that, enjoy the necklace!  🙂

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

For those that don't have the time, or the will, or the patience to read the article I posted, thoroughly.  I'll post this from the article.

“People who use the term ‘labradorite moonstone’ or ‘rainbow moonstone’ are on a ‘red emerald’ track,” says Hänni. “The historical and global agreement of the term ‘moonstone’ is used only for orthoclase. Labradorite is not a moonstone.

Moonstone is a potassium sodium feldspar. Gemologically, it has a lower refractive index and lower specific gravity than labradorite. Blue and white are the only colors for a moonstone’s sheen—there is no yellow, orange, or purple.

Labradorite, on the other hand, is a calcium sodium feldspar. It’s also called spectrolite because it produces spectral colors. These colors are produced by interference and diffraction off labradorite’s peculiar lamellar (flat plate-like) growth, not by scattering off albite inclusions. Labradorite has a higher RI and SG than orthoclase moonstone.

“The composition, identification values, and the reason for the light effect are different between moonstone and labradorite,” says Hänni. “There is no reason—except commercial—to call labradorite a moonstone … it’s confusing, and incorrect.”

I have handled both moonstones and labradorite and love both stones.  Looking at your pictures, I still believe these are labradorite stones.  The one sure way of knowing for sure is to take it to a jeweler or even better a rock hound.  The difference is pretty evident when seen in person.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

"Rainbow/blue flash moonstone are trade names for labradorite."

Thank you for that clarification.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I got interested in labradorite a year or so ago, and did some research on it, because I wanted to buy some loose stones. Labradorite fascinates me. I did buy some large stones (about the size of small chicken eggs). I recognize labradorite when I see it.

The quality of the stones in the OP's necklace is very poor (sorry!) compared to what labradorite can be.

Images of loose stones:

https://www.google.com/search?q=labradorite+stones&biw=1280&bih=837&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0a...

Message 15 of 28
latest reply