cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help Idg mark (star+writing) on gold tone circle pin with gemstones.

I hope I am on the correct board to post this question.  I had been away from Ebay for awhile and upon my return find that the boards under community have really changed.  If I am at the wrong board, please direct me to the correct one.

The circle pin may not be anything much (gold tone open work in a circle with two flowers embellished with lt green gem stones in the petals and leaves. ) There is a mark which appears to be a star with additional writing but the photo I have shown is the best I can offer.  Any info on Iding the mark, etc is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Joci

starclose.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Need help Idg mark (star+writing) on gold tone circle pin with gemstones.

Hi Joci,

You have indeed found the right place! Navigating this new set up is a pain, isn't it? The old boards were so much easier, now we have all kinds of groups. 

I think the reason you have had no positive ID is because the mark is too blurry for any of us to recognise.

I'm seeing a plated brooch here, the closed back setting showing in the picture of the mark suggests rhinestones.  I would say this is a vintage brooch, and if you could get a clearer picture the maker would likely be identified. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks Arlene for your reply and for reassurance that it is not only me who is having a hard time finding and navagating this new board format.  Sorry about the hallmark on the pin but honestly that was the best I could do.  I even put the pin in my copier on the printer to try to get a better photo and also used the micro setting on the camera.  The hallmark is definitely a star with either letters or numbers inside the star and outside.  I will try to attempt a better photo and if not successful I will accept your reply that it is a plated vintage brooch with rhinestones and an unknown star hallmark.  Thanks again.  Joci

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Unfortunately without a clearer mark it is impossible to be sure, but if I absolutely had to guess, I think it might be a mark for gold filled jewelry (maybe)...

Try resting your camera is not 'zoomed in' when you take the photo, also try resting your camera on something (like a tissue box, etc) when you take the photo as that can help you hold it steady.  If nothing else works, you could try making a drawing of the mark and take a photo of the drawing, so we can see it more clearly.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have had luck in the past by focusing through my loupe.  I know it sounds tricky, but has worked for me on things such as this.  I put the lens of the camera right onto the loupe and moved around until I got good focus. 

Worth a try

Photobucket
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@treasuresformeandyou wrote:

Unfortunately without a clearer mark it is impossible to be sure, but if I absolutely had to guess, I think it might be a mark for gold filled jewelry (maybe)...

I was also wondering if it could be 1/20 12k for example, with a maker's mark. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, that's what I think I'm seeing...  A "14K" inside the star, and then a "1/20" something something down underneath the star... but I'm just not totally sure due to fuzziness of photo.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

treasures...thanks for your reply and sorry it took me so long to get back to my post.  I am having a hard time getting used to finding these boards with the new set up.  I also am reading what you have posted.  "14K" inside the star, and then a "1/20" something  underneath the star".   With the 14K mark would this still be gold filled or 14K gold?   Hopefully I will get a reply from you and now maybe with the marks ID a designer will also be ID.  Thanks a bunch.  Joci

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This would be gold filled, not solid 14k.

If you want to see your recent posts, click on your username in Community,and you'll see a list of all your posts, starting with the most recent ones first. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Arlene, thanks for your reply confirming gold filled.  Also thanks so very much for your instructions how I can easily find my way back to my post on the boards.  Much Appreciated.  Joci

Message 10 of 10
latest reply