cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Saturday childhood memories

Just thought this thread might be fun to share some of our favorite SATURDAY childhood memories.

I loved it when I could spend a Saturday morning watching cartoons.

They had the best cartoons in the 60's and Saturday mornings were cartoon marathons.

Some of my favorites were the Flintstones, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Road Runner

and I always wanted to live in a Jetsons world, LOL, still do.

Back then, it was ok to eat sugary cereals like my fav, Cocoa Puffs. heart

If I wasn't watching cartoons,I was out grocery shopping with my parents which

I really didn't like. But I did like going to the bakery and the meat market.

Both were always crowded and you had to take a number and wait, wait, wait.

I'll never forget the meat market had saw dust on the floor and the bakery

smelled like heaven. I usually saw a classmate or neighbor at one of these

stores and there was always the sound of happy chatter all around you.

Well, that's a bit of my fav Saturday memories, so let's hear yours.

so 

TEX
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

LOL - this proves I am strange - Sabbath Afternoon naps, original run Star Trek and Hockey Night in Canada.
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

OCN, I don't think that's strange at all. I didn't appreciate Star Trek until I was older.

My mother and I were outnumbered by my dad and three brothers so ST was a must in our house.

LOL, but I got even with them with That Girl.

TEX
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Hard to choose a fav Sat morning cartoon..I watched em all (50`s-60`s)   Totally lost on any of the new ones or super heros, etc.  

Gimme Yogi, Huckleberry Hound, Flintstones, Jetsons,  Quick Draw McGraw, etc any old day!  Matter of fact I have been watching for the complete Flintstones series to buy LOL

But my Sat afternoons were reserved for Scary movies or The Outer Limits Cat Very Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

I'm 62 and remember the days there were only 3 black and white channels.  My sibs and I would get up early Saturday mornings and wait for the "target" to go away and programming to begin.  In those days, they didn't broadcast all night.  Looney Tunes were my all time favorite and they still are Smiley Very Happy!  Saturday afternoons were spent outdoors.  I'm glad I grew up during those times.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

"I'm glad I grew up during those times."

AMEN!

Dream, I'm right behind ya in age and also remember just a few channels.

Funny, tho, there always seemed to be something good on to watch.

Now there's hundreds of channels with a lot of cwap on them. 

TEX
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Boy, are you right about that, tex!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Tex, that is funny my husband watches That Girl (on MeTV), not me 🙂
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

How fun . I grew up in the 70's - 80's and I remember all these show also . I don't think there is an episode of The Flinstones or Jetsons that I haven't  seen . Of course I loved Looney Tunes . Marvin the Martian is my all time favorite . I also remember Fearless Fly and Mighty Mouse . Oh yeah and ISIS and Shazam , those were played on Saturday's too . 

My favorite thing to do on Saturdays was go to the flea Market . Back in those days they were always outside . When I was 2 - 12 I lived in Honolulu Hawaii and there was a huge flea market around the outside of a stadium in the parking lot . We moved to Surfside Beach , South Carolina and I started jr, high there . We had a flea Market right across the street there ( it's actually still there ) . Back in those days people just threw down blankets to put their stuff on or if they were lucky they might have a few tables . It was all open air back then . The times have changed , haven't they ? 

I guess this treasure hunting bug has always been with me . I've always enjoyed it . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I grew up in the 70's/80's and clearly remember waiting for Schoolhouse Rock to start on 1 of the 3 channels that we got. My brother and I may have had to adjust the aluminum foiled antenna once or twice to get the best picture too!

We grew up on the Gulf Coast, so my all time favorite memories were of the Saturdays where Mom would declare "let's skip the cartoons and clean really fast so that we can go to the beach today". Never saw two kids so eager to clean a house :):):)

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.~Horace

Favorite quote ever! Lori
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Reading all these posts have put a smile on my face I'm a 70's baby too (born in 67) I remember all of those great cartoons After cartoons I would go outside and play til night came without a care in the world My daughter was born in 1989 and I wouldn't let her out of my sight, ever!! I do not know how my mom did it

I did pageants and dance I won my first pony when I was 6 It was love at first glance We ended up having a small ranch with all sorts of horses and cows I absolutely wanted to spend every waking moment riding and chasing the chickens around

Children always want to grow up so fast I tell my nieces and nephews to cherish every thing that is being a child It goes by too fast and being an adult is not all it's cracked up to be
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

MY FAVORITE MEMORIES OF SATURDAY WOULD START ON SATURDAY MORNING WITH CARTOONS AND I WOULD COLOR.  MOTHER & DADDY WOULD GO TO THE SUPERMARKET FOR GROCERIES AND I COULD NOT WAIT FOR THEM TO COME HOME BECAUSE I GOT A NEW COLORING BOOK & CRAYONS ON SATURDAY, BECAUSE I COULD COLOR ONE UP IN A WEEK.

AS THE DAY WORE ON WE WOULD CROSS THE ROAD TO PLAY IN THE FROG POND, CATCHING TADPOLES, FISHING WITH A STICK MADE FISHING POLE WITH TWINE OR SHOOTING MARBLES.  SOMETIMES WE WOULD PLAY SOFTBALL, BUT I WAS THE YOUNGEST CHILD IN MY FAMILY SO THEY WOULD ALWAYS QUIT WHEN IT CAME MY TURN TO BAT, JUST TO WATCH ME CRY.

SATURDAY NIGHTS ACROSS THE ROAD WHERE THE FROG POND WAS, UNDER THE BIG OAK TREES WE WOULD ALL GATHER WITH THE NEIGHBORS AND THEIR KIDS TO HAVE A WEINER ROAST.  EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT THAT IT DIDN'T RAIN.  EVERYONE BROUGHT SOMETHING, MARSHMALLOWS, WEINERS, BUNS, CHIPS OR SODA. THE ADULTS WOULD SIT AROUND AND TALK, SOME WOULD PLAY RADIOS AND DANCE, WHILE ALL THE KIDS PLAYED TOGETHER.

I REMEMBER ONE NIGHT MY BROTHERS & THE NEIGHBORHOOD BOYS CAUGHT A BIG HOOT OWL THAT WE TOOK HOME AND KEPT IN A BIRDCAGE FOR A FEW DAYS UNTIL DADDY MADE US TURN IT LOOSE.  IT WAS SO PRETTY WITH THOSE BIG EYES!  I WAS FASCINATED.

THOSE DAYS WILL LIVE IN MY MEMORY FOREVER BECAUSE THERE WILL NEVER BE DAYS LIKE THOSE AGAIN EVER IN THIS WORLD.  LIFE WAS SIMPLE THEN AND GOOD!

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Interesting thread and I'm enjoying reading all these memories.

I was born in 1963 in South Africa.

South Africa in 1963 might as well have been 1910 because we were stuck in a time warp due to draconian government censorship over virtually every aspect of our lives. 

Due to government censorship over the media, there was no TV permitted until the late 1970s, so we would listen to the radio. Some of the programs were quite hilarious, like the Goon Show. That was a riot.

Sometimes we would go to the city centre on Sat. mornings. My mom dressed to the hilt like Audrey Hepburn and she would dress my sister and I like two little dresden dolls in matching outfits. We would go to a store called Garlicks which was truly the epitome of style. We would have tea and scones at the restaurant and it was all so glamorous that I felt like a little Princess.

In my teen years Saturday mornings were basically for getting over the party from the night before. We would listen to "Sugarman" (Sixto Rodriguez) LPs  for hours and pretend we lived elsewhere, somewhere interesting like Spain maybe or the USA.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I kept saying "Awww" to myself as I read these.  Thank you for sharing a precious part of your life.

I just want to add a bit more of mine. Back then, not many kids had more then a few pairs of shoes.

We had shool and dress shoes (sometimes they were the same pair) and plain, white canvas sneakers

for the summer. IIRC, Ithe sneakers were 99 ¢ and I remember cleaning them (didn't really clean them, just covered up the dirt marks) with some white liquid shoe stuff. LOL, then you had to wait for your sneakers to dry.

Did anyone have to wear galoshes? The zippered boots you pulled on over your shoes. I had the ones with the "fur" around the top Smiley Very Happy.....and the dang zippers were so hard to pull up.

TEX
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Ok, one last last thing. Trick or Treating rocked back then. We started right after school and it went on for hours.

It was safe and sooooooooo much fun. The favorite place to hit was all the corner taverns because they 

gave you beer nuts, LOL, or tossed some change in your bag. And there was one house everyone called haunted.

No one ever answered the door and we'd dare each other to run up to the house and ring the bell.

TEX
Message 15 of 39
latest reply