cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if pressed amber has seams?

I've had this lying around for quite a while.  The beads have seams so I keep wanting to throw in a junk lot, but it looks so much like genuine amber that I don't.  This weekend I made a bowl of salt water to test a couple of necklaces which had potential.  For grins & giggles I threw this one in & to my surprise, it floats.

I also put acetone & alcohol on it....didn't turn tacky, so not copal.  Is the salt water test supposed to be 100% accurate?  Also, would pressed amber have seams (I looked at some pressed amber listings & can't see them, but you can barely see them in mine either)?

Apologies if pics are too large, but it's been years since I posted here & I'm a bit out of touch.P1010003 (114).JPGP1010020 (120).JPG🙃

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Does anyone know if pressed amber has seams?

Answering the original question.  Pressed amber, or reconstituted amber should not have seams.  Pressed amber beads are fused amber that is cut to size and then drilled.  So it's not molded.  There are a couple different kinds of reconstituted amber, but they're all pretty much cut to size rather than molded.

The beads don't have the patterns and structure I'd expect to see from reconstituted amber.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Does anyone know if pressed amber has seams?

Thank you all for the helpful info!  Especially the pics and further instructions about the black light.  I've ordered one, so just waiting out of curiosity but it seems that this even though it floats, this is not amber.  Sorry for being so long returning, but I didn't realize the thread had continued posts until I came back just now to post another question about another item, lol.😄

Message 17 of 17
latest reply