cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if pressed amber has seams?

I've had this lying around for quite a while.  The beads have seams so I keep wanting to throw in a junk lot, but it looks so much like genuine amber that I don't.  This weekend I made a bowl of salt water to test a couple of necklaces which had potential.  For grins & giggles I threw this one in & to my surprise, it floats.

I also put acetone & alcohol on it....didn't turn tacky, so not copal.  Is the salt water test supposed to be 100% accurate?  Also, would pressed amber have seams (I looked at some pressed amber listings & can't see them, but you can barely see them in mine either)?

Apologies if pics are too large, but it's been years since I posted here & I'm a bit out of touch.P1010003 (114).JPGP1010020 (120).JPG🙃

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Does it float in regular tap water? 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

No, I had a bowl of un-salted water along side this one. Didn't float in plain water.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Thanks. That is consistent with amber then so I can see why you are curious. 

I have no idea if pressed amber has seams and will be interested to see what you find out. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thanks!  I keep reading all of these amber info sites, but none mentions the presence (or lack of) seams in any amber, pressed or otherwise.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

What do they look like under a UV light?
If they fluoresce then they could well be Amber.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I think I'll have to go to you tube & watch more videos, but I can't detect 'fluorescence' even in the examples shown there.  When I think of things fluorescing, I think of how Vaseline glass looks under a black light.  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Floresence is can cloudy pale colour for Amber.

@arlene_v has posted images before.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks much!  That might make a big difference in how I view the videos & my own efforts.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I looked really close at the beads. By seams do you mean the layer lines within the beads? Like internal crazing? I have a necklace made of what looks like natural small nuggets which has crazing.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

No, not on the inside.  They can barely be felt with your fingernail, but they are there & look like actual seams, albeit low relief.   Each one has a seam up one side and down the other, as though two halves have been merged.  I'll try posting one more pic & hope that it shows at least one of the seams.  Believe it or not, I tried deliberately positioning some of the beads with seams face up, hoping they would show in photographs.

The large darker mottled color bead, showing at about 3:00 position in first pic & approximately 1:00 position in second pic, shows the most obvious seam line (in these pics, but easier seen on most beads in person).

P1010022 (121).JPGP1010023 (122).JPG

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

One is amber and one BakeliteOne is amber and one BakeliteDifference under black lightDifference under black light

Here are the pictures I have posted before.

The bottom  strand  in this picture is amber, and the top one isn't (it is Bakelite).

You can see that the amber strand looks quite different under UV light compared to  its appearance in normal light, and also compared with the strand that isn't amber. Maybe you can experiment with a known example of amber just to get an idea of how amber behaves under UV light. That is what I did when I was first figuring this out.

Lots of experimenting.

I can see the seams in the beads in your pictures. These might be some kind of reconstituted/pressed amber, rather attractive looking beads I think.  Not seen anything like this before with those seams, so this is quite interesting! 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Learning here too.  This kind of picture is super helpful.  I've always heard that amber has florescence, not sure what I am seeing.  Need a bit of hand holding...

You mentioned the one "underneath is amber", but I'm not seeing much of a light reaction to the one underneath.  ( So the milky blue/white one is Bakelite?) 

Edit:  Now thinking you meant "underneath" as in "the bottom of the photo"... not "underneath the other necklace" ??

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@lucille.b  Hi Lucille, I am sorry that my post was not very clear, I can see how that might happen.

To answer your question the strand that is brighter under UV light is amber, that is how the fluorescence shows.  The Bakelite strand is the one that exhibits no colour change, the amber strand appears milky white.  I hope this clears the confusion!

I love being hands on so I have tested different colours of amber and Bakelite  and plastics to see how they react to UV light.

Not all amber  reacts the same, and some plastics do have some fluorescence as well just to add to the mix, but they will not pass the other tests for amber like the flotation test for example.

Here are a few more pics to show you what I mean.

I have taken photos of amber and Bakelite in natural light and then under UV light for comparison.

So you can see them as "before and after" pics in a way. Please note that I do not use the flash when I take the pics of the items under UV light. 

Bakelite spacer, inside it is an amber link braceletBakelite spacer, inside it is an amber link braceletUnder UV light the amber is might brighter than the BakeliteUnder UV light the amber is might brighter than the Bakelite

Now here are two facetted necklaces that look quite similar in natural light, but react very differently as you can see under UV light. 

Facetted necklaces, the one on the left amber, the other one is BakeliteFacetted necklaces, the one on the left amber, the other one is BakeliteThe one on the left is the amber  under UV light, and the other is the Bakelite oneThe one on the left is the amber under UV light, and the other is the Bakelite one

Next we have the example I have show before: These both look like amber at a quick glance, but the story comes out under UV light. Note the colour change of the amber necklace on the left under UV light. 

The necklace on the left is amber, the other one is BakeliteThe necklace on the left is amber, the other one is BakeliteUnder UV light, the one on the left is amber, on the right is BakeliteUnder UV light, the one on the left is amber, on the right is Bakelite

More pics of amber under UV light 

All these beads are amber under UV lightAll these beads are amber under UV lightAmber in normal lightAmber in normal light

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Wow, these are helpful examples.  A very distinct look in the result.

Thank you, Arlene!

(Now I just have to find some amber, lol!)

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 15 of 17
latest reply