cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bakelite nightmare..Can the experts please weigh in ?

After having spent 1,200 + tax on 12 pieces of what i thought were genuine deeply carved bakelite bangles, i am now discovering that what this Taiwan seller sold me were MOLDED plastic fakelites that have been treated with chemicals to pass the simichrome test...yes i know, buying from a seller in Taiwan who seems to have a NEVER ENDING supply of the same identical grade, deeply carved CHARACTER bangles should have raised flags, but i went against my better judgement because i was so enamored by the pieces. Its really been a nightmare scenario but i would appreciate any of the experts on this forum to check out one of several items this seller is selling - i would really appreciate your comments and suggestions - thankyou

items 114303054820, and 114270395683

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Bakelite nightmare..Can the experts please weigh in ?

I don't know. Maybe I'll see her sometime, but all shows are postponed for the time being.

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

UPDATE: After much back and forth, seller has agreed to take items back, PP has assured me of a refund if items are shipped back to address on file and if items are trackable..BUT seller wants me to drastically reduce value of items for fear of being hit with Customs tax in her native country. Ive argued by saying i can include a letter saying that i am infact returning the goods back to seller, so customs will be made aware that the items are NOT the other way around (me selling it to the other person). She insists that Customs will not go for that. What do i do?? It will be shipped via Priority airmail so there will be tracking history, but given that its a large sum of money (to me anyway) i want to protect myself as best i can..any suggestions?

thanks

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Personally I wouldn't reduce the dollar value, the seller knew what they were doing was wrong. I looked at the listings and they stated that this was vintage and not modern. Getting them to admit they lied had to be quite a task-kudos to you.

I'm not sure if this applies BUT it is illegal to ship counterfeit items thru the USPS. Now would these be considered counterfeit or knock offs?? From what I read it's OK to ship knock offs but not counterfeits??? Bakelite is a brand name, so they did sell them as Bakelite, wouldn't that make them counterfeit? 

I was looking at the photos supplied by dream and I was like OMG that's my bracelet! Bummer 😫 but then I enlarged the pic and there are differences in the pattern. I would really have been bummed if it turned out that it was a ewer carved piece

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

He is selling on Bonanza now

Message 34 of 34
latest reply