eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

What perm would be best on fine, colored hair.

I have fine hair that is also colored. I want to find
a gentle perm that won't cause my hair to frizz. I really
just want a soft wave. thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What perm would be best on fine, colored hair.

in reply to piddypaddy
Be very careful with ANY perm on colored hair!

I work in a salon and wanted to add a little body to my fine, colored (blond) hair.
My hair was a bit longer then shoulder length.

So 3 of my fav stylists pick a gentle wave perm for colored hair.

As the rods are being taken out so is my hair!

Long story short I ended up having no choice but to cut it ALL off! I mean all of it. I had about 1 1/2 inches of hair left.
Also a perm takes out the shine from your hair. It looked sooo dull.

So just be careful.If you covet your hair like I do I would hate to see that happen to anyone else.:-x
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
ozzy a similar situation happened to me. i'm 20 years old and i have premature graying [it's about 25% right now] so i color my hair every 6 weeks. i permed my hair once and it literally just killed my hair. it also like thinned out my hair. it was a gentle body wave perm too. :smileysad: after 4 months my mom had to just cut the permed parts off. i had boy short hair for a loong time. it's finally grown out and i promised myself never to do that again.

however my mother perms her hair [been doing so for years] and her hair is just fine. she doesn't color her hair though.

overprocessing and too much chemicals to the hair in my opinion aren't great.

i'm back to sponge rollers before i go to sleep for a curl. takes 5 minutes to put the rollers in but don't have to worry about frizz, roots, or my hair being fried.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Please use plain text.
dull*women*have*immaculate*homes
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
My DH gives me a perm ever 6 months or so. I like the Precisely right perms. Have never had a problem, and I color my hair. The trick is in the roll-up. If you roll it too tight, it will break as the curl sets.
Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
Biolage for color treated hair is WONDERFUL. I'm a cosmetologist and have never had a problem... it's very gentle!

But one thing, don't EVER perm hair that has "Sun In" in it... it's a metallic dye and perms will ruin hair with it in it!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
I would ask your stylist. Any home perm I guarantee you is going to be very damaging on your hair.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
OMG don't do a home perm. If you meant a salon perm Biolage is a good one Redken also has great perms for color treated hair. The key is leaving it on for a short time. usually no more than 5 minutes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to piddypaddy
A better idea may be large rollers or finger curling - neither will cause as much damage to your hair as a perm would, and if you don't like the way it looks, you just have to wash your hair to take the wave out.

If you're blow-drying your hair every morning, then trying rollers/finger curling a few times won't add too much time to your routine. If you can find yourself a portable bonnet-type hairdryer, you may find you even save time, because your hair can dry while you're running around doing other things.
Don't laugh too much at the idea of a bonnet-dryer either, they're becoming more popular again because they're more gentle on the hair than a hand-held dryer, or heated rollers. (the heat isn't directed right at the fragile ends) You can also use them to provide heat for deep-conditioning treatments:smileyhappy:

If you still want a perm, you'd be best off waiting about 6-8 weeks since your last colour, and getting a few deep-conditioning treatments in the meantime. You should also wait at least 3 weeks after the perm to dye your hair again.
Before you have the perm done, get your hairdresser to do a test curl - it's where one small piece of hair is curled to see how the perm takes, so you don't find all your hair ruined if the perm doesn't go well. If the test curl turns out fine, you're all set:smileyhappy:

If you find you have visible roots in the meantime, there are ways of covering them:smileyhappy:
If you dye darker, a "lasts up to 6 washes" temporary dye without peroxide or ammonia will do it - all they do is deposit pigment onto the hair, so they won't damage it.

If you dye your hair lighter, or redder, you can get away with only dyeing the roots at your parting and hairline, provided the perm doesn't also cover those areas.
Please use plain text.