eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

Hi. I am new to this board, but I thought you might be able to help.

A few months ago, I bought a CHI flat iron from an eBay seller. I have used a CHI flat iron before and loved the results. Well, this particular flat iron does not do a very good job. I was under the impression that CHI was supposed to be the best on the market.

My question: Is it possible that I bought a "fake" CHI flat iron? I know that there are a lot of fake designer handbags and clothing out there and I got to thinking that maybe the same occured with my flat iron.

Anyone have any thougths on this?

Thanks so much.

Melissa
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
well i bought a chi from ulta and it sucked. it didn't heat up enough to make a difference. i returned it and bought something else.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
Yes, it is possible to buy fake Chi's. I don't know if there is a Review or Guide here on eBay that tells you how to spot the difference, but it would be worth a look.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
the same thing just happened to me. I bought two on ebay they were mislead and fake, read my discussion above.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
yes i bought two on ebay they were fake, and the description was misleading, now the seller states they will not refund.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I think I may have just done the same thing. Maybe I didnt know enough about Chis. I didnt realize..but I think there are other flatirons that have the word "chi" in them but are not made by the actual company Farouk. I am disappointed. I got this thing called an X-chi.....and I think it may be fake=(
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I BOUGHT MY FIRST CHI FAROUK FLAT IRON AT A TRADE SECRET STORE...LOVED IT, WORKED GREAT..I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE ABOUT A WEEK AGO ON EBAY...I THINK IT MAY BE FAKE??

IT'S LABELED CHI FARUOK, SYMBOLS LOOK RIGHT, BUT THE ON/OFF SWITCH IS A LITTLE LARGER, AND THE CORD IS A LITTLE THINER...IT SEEMS DIFFERENT....?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I just recieved my CHI iron from a seller on ebay I am almost positive its fake. I own one that I bought from a salon and they look diffferent, and the boxes although almost the same, do have differences. It doesnt even heat up well, and one of the plates is damaged. I am returning it which is a hassle bc I lose like half of what I paid, and they are restocking it; even though it damaged and doesnt work properly. SO BEWARE! Spend the money and buy one at a salon! Its not work saving a few bucks bc its a huge hassle!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
Yes, i just bought one and the seller has mysteriously disappeared. If you have used a Chi before, you can immedaitely tell. The weight is different. The fake ones don't have the 3 pronged cord. Also, by the switch, there is a silver sticker on the fake chi. The real chi has all of the electrical information imbedded in the handle.
My advice, don't buy a Chi on ebay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
lol @ fake flat Iron!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
i just recieved a chi that i bought a couple of days ago yesterday. i have one from a salon but i wanted another for my daughter. i bought it from sculley_1. i no for a fact that it is a fake. and i no that i should get a refund because on the headline it had Farouk CHI Flat Hair Iron Straightener. BRAND NEW. that it totally misleading. the one that i had before from the salon on the box it says CHI &trademark; and on the one i just got Chi R also you can tell the box it copied it isnt the original. it didnt seem right when i used it either. do u think paypal or ebay will give me a refund?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen

CHI flat irons do not have a warranty if you purchase from EBAY or any other establishment that is not a salon or Cosmetologists only beauty supply.

My chi I had listed today was removed by the veRo Farouk "police"..
And being a LICENSED stylist I should of known better.

The info in the CHI flat iron box states there is no warranty if purchase off the internet.

Here is the letter I sent to FAROUK TODAY:
To whom it may concern:

I was notified by EBAY today that you requested that my ad for a CHI flat iron be removed for "copyright infringement".

First, let me apologize for this poor judgement on my part. As a licensed stylist and a salon manager for a major corporation, I never in any way intentionally was set out to violate anything. I was just trying to sell a flat iron that I just purchased for 1x use for a class, and had no use for it.

I contacted your corporate office today to find out why my listing was removed. I want to clarify that the picture that was posted in the listing belongs to ME. It was taken on MY camera, in MY house and was posted as such. I used information from the flat iron box to post the details of the flat iron and its features. I also read some of the other things people posted on their CHI listings and used certain words they used. I never, ever, took anything from your webite, infact I have never even visited your site in my entire life.

My question to you is, if you have removed my listing for "copyright infringement" what is it that I posted that you consider copied? When I spoke to a rep of your company and they spoke to a supervisor, I could onmky think that the onloy thing I really did wrong is sell a professional product to the public and YES now that I really realize it, is wrong and a poor decision on my part. I was not even thinking about that. I just thought it was just a flat iron and not shampoo. I am probably the biggest advocate for people like yourself that are trying to stop diversion and I have in the past reported CVS, Target, ect for selling Matrix, Paul Mitchell, ect..............I just never thought about a flat iron, and I sincerely apologize.

I have another concern. If you have removed my ad, why are there THOUSANDS of people on ebay still up today with the CHI FLATIRONS for sale and some selling your hair products, such as shampoo and flat iron sprays?

If it is not allowed, why are they allowed to keep their listings? If I can help you by reporting I will.

Again, I am sorry I used poor judgement and I want you to understand that as a professional stylist, I would never in any way intentionally or knowingly infringe or disobey any laws. It is not my nature. I am married to a deputy and we both are law abiding citizens.

Please accept my apology,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Live, Love, Learn, Grow.......cherish life......................"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
No wonder this CHI has done nothing for my hair!!! My god, it is completely fake!! $110 for nothing!! I bought it from perfekthair. Is there anything we can do to get a refund? ='( Unfortunately I already gave her (+) feedback! UGHHH
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
YOU MUST REPORT THIS PERSON TO EBAY! I am a hair stylist and there are counterfeit CHI's all over eBay just like there are counterfeit name brands and designer named items all over eBay. CHI will not support any warranty of any of their items bought online period - not just eBay. If you paid through Pay-Pal file a chargeback. Pay-Pal will get your money back for you. Don't take this sitting down. Let Pay-Pal know you were sold a counterfeit item. They will put the money back on your card. Next time you want an authentic CHI find a hairstylist who can pick one up for you at a professional beauty supply.
Judy

Photobucket

Judy@ApplianceCoverQueen
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I bought mine from the same person...however, she did refund me.
It' still frustrated.
I went to a salon and bought the "real" thing..what a HUGE difference.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
Save your money and buy one from a salon. I also bought one on ebay it was a fake. Luckily i was able to return mine for a full refund.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I just bought a flat iron on ebay, but have not yet received it. I bought it over a week ago and paid immediately; however i have not heard anything from the seller. This makes me nervous, especially after reading this discussion! What can I do? Is there any way I can contact ebay or paypal to let them know I don't want it anymore because I have not heard anything from the seller? I am afraid that I will not receive it and my money went to absolutely nothing!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I havent tried out the CHI yet, but I have heard its the best on the market, though I wont be buying it on ebay.

Also---do not buy under any circumstances--the True Ceramic Pro. This thing was a piece of junk that died within a week and all the red paint on the plates chipped off within that week. I have read so many horror stories about this iron online, and found out that the company went bankrupt and the irons were fire hazards and many caught fire or produced smoke. Be careful ladies! Sincerely,
Grace A.
Perfume Identification & Appraisal Services Available.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

****Proud member of the International Perfume Bottle Association****

Visit any of the 200+ Guides I have written on vintage perfumes
& vanity accessories!
Sincerely,
Mrs. Grace Hummel
Perfume Bottle Identification & Appraisal Services Available.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
To the user above that purchased an iron a week ago. Just email them and ask them if they have sent it. Paypal labels have been a mess lately. IF they are experiencing the Multi-Order shipping mess that I am and have for weeks now then it will be a bit late. Just thought I would mention this. Just email them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Fake Flat Irons??

in reply to mfredeen
I am a stylist and I own a CHI and a HAI but I keep them in my hair studio. I came across a flat iron here on eBay that I figured I'd try for home. I have very course hard to straighten hair and this flat iron rocks. Almost as good as the CHI. I ended up getting the flat iron for $10 which included shipping. I think the seller figured out he screwed up on the auction and I haven't seen it that cheap on eBay again. But here is what it looks like in case you're interested...don't let the little bottle of CHI product fool you. I think he tries to decieve people into thinking it's a CHI but it's not. Still a good flat iron.
Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHI-INFUSION-JDL-PRO-CERAMIC-HAIR-STRAIGHTNER-IRON_W0QQitemZ250180413047QQihZ015QQcategoryZ36408QQcmdZViewItem

Photobucket

Judy@ApplianceCoverQueen
Please use plain text.