cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 21 years at Ebay I am saying goodbye

Ebay removed negative feedback of a top rated seller and then lied to me why they did it.

I left warranted negative (but polite) feedback for a seller that foisted a used item on me as NiB. Ebay never allowed the feedback to even post. I contacted Ebay two days after leaving the feedback thinking something glitched and my review got lost in the mix, but was sent this:

We only remove feedback if we see that the feedback is inappropriate, according to our guidelines. In this case, the feedback was removed because it didn't follow our inappropriate feedback comment policy.

The feedback comment contained

-- links or scripts.

-- references to eBay or PayPal investigations.

-- negative statements that conflicted with the positive rating.

-- personally identifying information about another member.

-- political, religious, or social commentary rather than a genuine comment about the transaction.

-- a reference to a completely separate transaction.

-- profane, vulgar, obscene, or racist language, or adult material.

I told Ebay my review did not contain any of those listed items, and that I have been buying and selling on Ebay for 21 years and know the rules very well.  I told them if they did not reinstate my review that I would be leaving Ebay for good.  I got a second response a few minutes later stating...

As per the process, since the seller processed a refund voluntarily the system removed the feedback automatically.

This is a blatant lie because I waited until AFTER the refund to leave feedback, so "the system" automatically removed it simply because it was negative with no further consideration.

Also, at least to my knowledge, Ebay doesn't remove feedback simply because a refund was eventually processed.  They are lying, protecting a supposed TR seller.

Good riddance to Ebay.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Agree

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I agree   ebay is not giving equal time to problems identified by buyers.   

I won an auction as an only bidder.  Only after seller indicated the item was shipped (which it was not actually shipped), did the seller disclose the item was not as described in the listing.  Not the only time this has happened as an only bidder at the minimum asking price.  Sellers who do not get their bid prices often come up with excuses such as

1.   item broken while packing for shipment
  2.   oh  I am out of stock
  3. or in this case - the color is different.

When I gave negative feedback, the seller got it removed.

Makes me wonder how many times negative feedback gets removed by eBay rather than leave it there so potential buyers know the risk of dealing with certain sellers.   

My feedback should be put back in so other buyers know my views on this seller.  eBay should not simply remove buyer feedback based on only the sellers request.  If a buyer refuses to make changes to the feedback then eBay should leave both sides of the communications

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

The seller made a mistake and refunded when you brought the mistake to their attention. 

I wouldn’t stick around either. 
Who would? 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Indeed

I left a negative after receiving burnt coffee and insults from blue mcaw roasters.  I found many complaints and an f rating on the bbb .  However,  ebay removed the negative feedback

She has 100%   when in reality dozens of negatives have been removed 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I'm in the minority here, as I am mainly a seller.

For top rated sellers, negative FB can be removed if we process the refund in full.  To eBay, that is good customer service.  Sellers are not judged by their feedback.  If you opened a case to get a refund, that is what hurt the seller.  We are judged on the % of returns.

You might not want to hear this, but that's the way it is.  Sellers cannot just request to get FB removed and it happens.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

As per the process, since the seller processed a refund voluntarily the system removed the feedback automatically.

This is a blatant lie because I waited until AFTER the refund to leave feedback, so "the system" automatically removed it simply because it was negative with no further consideration.

Also, at least to my knowledge, Ebay doesn't remove feedback simply because a refund was eventually processed.  They are lying, protecting a supposed TR seller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP may have left the building, but for others reading in the future...................................

When a TR seller accepts the return, and refunds.................... as a perk .......   per eBay policy..................  neutral/negative feedback is auto scrubbed/not allowed

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I was complaining about my buying experience.   We sell hundreds of items.  The big problem as a seller is when people lie about the item and call it not as described.   I get stuck with shipping fees for the return . I had a cast iron skillet returned because they said it was cracked.  It was not cracked , but I get stuck with $18 shipping an Ebay dings my account 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Did you choose not as described for your return?  The seller pays return shipping in that case, not the buyer.  eBay did not 'ding' your account.  Buyers really don't get 'dings' unless they don't pay.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

im sorry for your experience. that seller ought to know better. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Although I'm sympathetic to You, I gotta say my final judgement would be this deserves a neutral feedback at worst. For all You know the guy bought that unit second hand and _He_ was also told it was NiB . On that merit alone, I say neutral at worst.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

So feedback is a scam.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply