cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This buyer doesn't see any benefit to leave feedback.

Some sellers leave FB when they ship, that's fair, but some sellers don't leave FB until I do.   I get messages from seller to leave FB and automatic reminders from Ebay.  I'm tired of playing the FB game.   

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You know it's optional/voluntary for either party, right?

Feel free to never ever leave FB again. It won't stop the requests you receive about it, however.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@islandtime-2 

Feedback is optional. Always has been. 

Since buyers can only get positive feedback, many sellers don’t bother. 

eBay’s Money Back Guarantee will get the buyer a full refund. Mentioning that process will result in those comments being removed, if reported. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@islandtime-2 wrote:

Some sellers leave FB when they ship, that's fair, but some sellers don't leave FB until I do.   I get messages from seller to leave FB and automatic reminders from Ebay.  I'm tired of playing the FB game.    

Although feedback is voluntary and neither buyer nor seller is required to leave it, if one side needs it more than the other, it's sellers. 

Since buyers can only receive positive feedback, buyer feedback is (essentially) useless but if buyers should leave it for sellers since it can be indicative of whether it's a good seller or a not-so-good one. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

As a seller who has been here a long, long time, I can remember when fb was important to me to build a good reputation.  After accumulating several thousand feedback,  it no longer seemed that important. 

I always believed that a seller should only give fb once the buyer left his fb.  How else would you know that the buyer was happy and they had no unseen problems 'pop up' that you needed to address? 

A number of buyers disagree, and some will nag you until you leave them something first, but it's just part of the biz.  Take the good with the bad.  Move on.

I have seen a number of sellers (who post on these threads) that rely on feedback, but not for themselves.  They like to see what kind of feedback buyers leave for others, those who either ask a lot of odd questions/ or post snarky comments on the eBay community boards, so that they can decide whether or not to block them. 

Some buyers seem to have a problem with almost everyone they deal with.  It's a funny world.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

As a seller, I'm happy to leave every buyer feedback, because I shamelessly use it to promote my store. My feedbacks all end with "You're always welcome back @ AJs C&A". 

It's super simple since it's pre-loaded. It takes just a moment. It leaves a positive impression. It is a chance to be remembered or a chance to serve as a reminder about my store. Best of all it's FREE.

Leaving feedback as a buyer? I'm happy to leave well deserved and earned feedback for every seller! I have an unusual situation ... Since MOST of my buying on eBay is sourcing for my business... and I end up doing A LOT of repeat business with sellers ... I figure leaving stellar feedback is just another bit to build the relationship with that seller. Some of the sellers I work with quite frankly are like my "golden goose" (golden geese). Sellers normally need to keep buyers happy to keep them coming back, I need to keep some sellers happy to make sure they let me come back! One guy puts on a lot of auctions. In 3 months I've placed like 13 orders for over $4700 from him. That's ~60 auctions and honestly probably 50% or more of the ones he ran in this time. Ive won a very significant portion of his auctions in the last 3 months, like literally 50% maybe more. So he may love having me as a buyer, but I probably need him more than he needs me. So if leaving great feedback adds to the seller liking me... i'll happily do it to keep in their good graces and to further support my own business goals. ... not to mention, as a seller myself ... i know how important feedback can be.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

You know it's optional/voluntary for either party, right?

Feel free to never ever leave FB again. It won't stop the requests you receive about it, however.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The less positive feedback you leave, the more those red negatives stand out on your feedback left for others.  That can make you look like a difficult buyer.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It's more important that I should look like a difficult buyer to you.  Not to me.  I am sure there are buyers that don't read what the sellers say about items.  And, I know they there are buyers out there that don't give enough details because I usually have to ask a lot of questions.   But, mistakes happen to but I am not talking about mistakes.  My most recent disappointment was a seller that listed glasses as "excellent vintage".   The glasses arrived one glass had big gaps of plating that was clearly missing.  I didn't bother to unwrap the rest.  I said that wasn't excellent and she said that her vintage disclaimer cover that.  She didn't want me to return them and then she tried to stick me with her shipping costs.  She should have listed them truthfully and mentioned the missing plating.  I wouldn't have purchased them knowing the actual condition.  I returned them and she turned around and relisted them as excellent again.   I now know that is a deliberate intent to deceive me.   Now that to me, is an untrustworthy seller.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Buyer only here-EBAY, pleased do not "threaten" me to leave FEEDBACK for something I have not received yet! I get these annoying emails to leave feedback when I haven't even gotten the item! 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@wbk461 

eBay is not here; this is a user forum.

Those feedback reminders are automated. If you do not want to receive feedback reminders, change your Communication Preferences.

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Sellers dont leave feedback until You do to make sure you dont ( after receiving positive feedback from them ) claim that You never got the item or it was damaged etc. Its a failsafe and basically the only tool a seller has to prevent a buyer from fully playing them and lying and saying the former or latter. The buyer always wins. If the buyer says an item without tracking didnt arrive, they get refunded. If they say its an open box with nothing in it, they get refunded. If they say its broken, they will leave a negative feedback and probably get refunded in order to get the bad FB removed. So naturally the buyer always leaves feedback first if they are satisfied.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Receiving positive FB from a buyer is absolutely no guarantee that the buyer will not open an item not as described case later.  If that's the basis you are operating from, it's wrong.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Seeing that a buyer has left positive FB for a seller is absolutely no guarantee that the seller won't open an item not as described case.  Thinking that way is being delusional.

And refunding a buyer does not guarantee that the bad FB they left will be removed.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes! sometimes there are more important things in life than ebay feedback , like sick kids, bills, family events.

If you miss a feedback don’t worry we will get you next time 👍

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Missing a point here.  Don't exactly get your logic, but the fact that a buyer has left positive FB for a seller in no way prevents the buyer from opening an item not as described case.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply