cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant on selling clothing

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Rant on selling clothing

Aw, snow looks so nice as long as it's somewhere else.

As a long time clothing seller (reluctant) I wholeheartedly agree with what's already been said here.  People do not want dryer sheets in their packages--many people are allergic or get asthma attacks from them. Others just detest or are sickened by the smell that intensifies from being in an enclosed package.

Also, do not use stock photos.  I think it's against ebay rules anyway because of copyright issues.  You are supposed to take the pictures yourself.   Anyway, it's better to take your own pictures because the buyer wants to see what they are getting.  Your own pictures may not look as great as a picture got from a website (or wherever) but it's the actual item.   When a buyer can see the actual item, they are more trusting of you and they don't get a false impression of the item's appearance--hence, fewer returns.

Clothing is very very competitive now on ebay.   Don't waste your time or money on fancy packaging (clothing sellers used to do that--tissue paper, ribbons, little gift enclosures, notes) and don't oversell your item with stock photos or effusive descriptions.   I like your descriptions where you simply list the features.  And you do include the measurements.   

I don't get many returns at all and the few I've had were usually for high end items.   I wonder if that could be part of your problem (over which you have no control.)   Some buyers who can't afford the high end items, will "rent" them, wear them once, and then make up a reason to return them.    I've had to come down to mostly items in which I can afford to take the loss.  

You can use NWOT if your item is new and has never been worn.  NWT still has the original tags.  I sell mostly used and I call it Used even when the item appears absolutely brand new.   Selling clothing is time consuming and there often is not a lot of profit but when you get feedback like, "I LOVE MY NEW JACKET!"  or "THIS IS JUST PERFECT" it helps to make it worthwhile.   I don't expect to make a lot of profit but I usually do make enough.    Good luck!

Message 31 of 77
latest reply

Thanks Savanna! 

I'm not that savvy when it comes to computers - does anyone know why sometimes I can see photos that are posted in the forums/community & sometimes I can't?  They sometimes come up as blanks.....is it my notebook? Update needed? Any thoughts appreciated.

A family member recently quit selling on ebay. They sold clothing. I have 8 tubs, (each the size that could fit a couple of large adults in them), filled & waiting to be listed. Most are new with tags.  I just can't seem to raise the lids.........I know what's on the other side of listing them 😉 

Message 32 of 77
latest reply

Holly, from what I have gleaned here on the threads is that plus sizes do extremely well, especially if you price them to sell fast.  Good luck!

Message 33 of 77
latest reply

Holly, wish I knew how to advise you regarding pics. On my older model smartphone, I would only be able to see 75% of what was posted and chalked it up to not being on a computer. A month or so ago, I had to update my phone and wow, what a difference.

This phone actually has better access than the laptop, which is an older model and updated as much as it will ever be (Apple).

As for the clothing, if you've got wanted sizes, which I think is just as important (if not more so) as trendy styles, you'll probably do well.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 34 of 77
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion  that would be a good starting point, all the bins are labeled by size too so maybe just open the one 😉

When I started selling it was mainly clothes, I learned much.  I don't mind selling clothes, it's just more time consuming to list & measure & the troubles were greater than with other things I mainly sell now. I still sell a little clothing but my preference is jewelry, books, vintage items etc. 

I will add, my only star dings came from selling a new item & I'm positive it was someone selling the same thing.  I checked my dsr's, June, and saw someone had dinged me.  All my feedback was positive. I thought it must've been from some vintage jewelry I'd sold as opinions can differ.  I ran a report & it was for a new sealed body spray......there is no way it wasn't as described, it was listed as it was.  She left positive fb & said all was great - but dinged me.  I check fb that she'd left for others & none, just me & new acct. w/few buys.

There were some family needs at that time & I'd caught it shortly before time would be up to have it removed.  I called, they assured me it would be. Too long of a story, but after a runaround turns out it wasn't & then it was too late. 

The ebay lingo - dinging my stars 😉 only other ebayers would understand

Message 35 of 77
latest reply

What a lovely picture!

Message 36 of 77
latest reply

I'm glad someone can see it on here  🙂  I can't, lol!  The snow is beautiful to look at & I don't mind the cold but I've weathered enough years of driving in it.  I hope to be a snow bird someday

Message 37 of 77
latest reply

Oh my!! Absolutely gorgeous! Your yard is full of Christmas trees!
Message 38 of 77
latest reply

I look out there every day & appreciate the beauty but have never thought that gagnon, 😉 through the eyes of others....  The wildlife is amazing too - we have just about anything you can think of out there, most welcome & some not so much

Message 39 of 77
latest reply

Apologies for briefly hijacking your thread  

Message 40 of 77
latest reply

I have been selling clothes for 16 years.   considering how much I sell, I don't really have a lot of issues.  there is the occasional doesn't fit.  I may or may not accept the return. It depends how long it was from when they got the item to when they contacted me.  I had a buyer claim an item didn't fit and she had the item for almost a month.  I declined that.  

I also do not understand why people do not read everything before buying.  I know it is hard for women to buy clothes without trying them on. However, there is enough info to make an informed decision.  In the old days, you could sell with no measurements and no specifics.  The more info you give, it seems the worse it is getting.

for me, there is a lot of profit in the clothes because I know where to shop.  If I could sell as much in other items, I would drop the clothes but I haven't found anything to replace the clothes and will keep selling until I can't do it anymore.

Message 41 of 77
latest reply

@urdi27 wrote:

This is a rant, aka politically incorrect string of words. Now you've been warned.

I am selling out my clothing. As mentioned in another thread, it's a part of the process of becoming minimalist.

Most of worn garments have already been donated, selling only name brands, new or like new.

I try to get all the measurements in the listing, also describe as best I can.

Each piece of clothing is put out on my screened porch overnight to air out and make sure there are no smells of my closet on it.

Also, when packaging, I always stick a drier sheet in the garment, with fresh ocean breeze smell.

I pack in brand new silk paper, which I purchase at a local store, and ship Priority even when stated Standard.

I add a "Thank you" card, also purchased retail price.

Selling relatively cheap, always cheapest among same items listed, probably annoying other Sellers, because I dont have a profit margin at this point, just a margin of how little I am willing to get paid for inspecting, preparing for shipping, packing, investing in bubble wrap, silk paper, gas and my time. Basically, do I want to sell for a lollipop worth net or not.

I have also sold some art and other designer no clothing items, never any problems, only happy Buyers.

On the contrary, selling clothes has already got me to a point of wanting to stuff everything in a bag, donate all together and sleep in peace.

How do you manage selling clothes? I must say I am stunned over the experience, and greatly respectfull to Sellers who sells clothing on eBay on regular basis.

So, I have already had 2 INAD returns of Free People dresses, mind you: never worn, which I know for sure since these are my own clothes.

The reasons for returns are what I find so stunning:

- A distressed, mineral washed Free People dress, NWOT, never worn. INAD reason: "Looks washed." Hello?!

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it smells bad and has pet hair on it." (What pet? What smell?)

- A cut out, NWOT, never worn Free People dress.

Return reason: "Doesn't feet like on the model."

Doesn't fit like on the model, Sweetheart? Do you have a mirror at home...visited your bathroom scale lately?

Not a good reason? "Oh, then it is not as pictured, the back part is shorter than pictured" Checkmate.

Now getting ridiculous offers on a listing WITHOUT Best Offer of $400.00 Ivan Grundahl jacket.

Asking $55 plus shipping (previously 65 and free shipping), getting offers of $50 with free shipping.

Are people out of their minds? Is this a Flea Market? Are Sellers viewed as a bunch of desperados?

I used to run a cosmetic store for many years, so I am used to "Find me a lipstick that will change my life" expectations, but I had at least the option of not taking returns once something had been used, and accepting returns on unopened items didn't cost me a load of money. This situation here on eBay is like taken straight out of a Kafka novel.

I have now started listing the clothes as worn and in need of cleaning, even taking the tags off.

I will remove all the model photos on NWT clothes, also understate every clothing item in the listing, feel even tempted to write: "May smell, may look worn and dirty, may have pet hair, beer stains and what not" in an attempt to protect myself from bottom feeders scammers, though surely there would still be something to complaint about no matter what.

But really, at this point I don't care anymore about not receiving negs, will just sell as much as I can before my feedback gets ruined, no more bending forward and backward for no brain no pain reasons so that the remorsed Buyer can save his precious 5 bucks in return shipping without ethical remorses.

Just wonder, where other Sellers find the patience and the professionalism to sell clothes in the long run and to deal with this kind???

End of rant.

Sell slow - meaning few items.  Concentrate on every peice of info that you have on that item.  Welcome questions.  Do NOT offer returns.  Do NOT seek eBay discounts, just sell your stuff for what you want for it or don't sell it at all.  

It is NOT true that you have to take returns on everything you sell.  You can turn that off your listings.  Just know your turnover will be a lot slower and painstaking per client but if you aren't here for rapid profit but to clearout you closets, then do it my way as it works.  Slooooooowly.  

There are some things that have rapid turnover because they are cheap when used like baby supplies.  Women's clothing is not like that unless it is work related or the people have caviar dreams on a beer budget and want to mess with sellers.  The LAST thing to be on eBay is needy or you will get eaten alive by the sharks.

This is the attitude of someone who is not doing this as a business.  

Message 42 of 77
latest reply

Thanks again for all your thoughts, comments and ideas. 

It is so warming and makes the whole experience feel less lonely when reading others run into similar situations.

Beautiful picture! Haven't seen snow for a while...

gentle_offers, thank you for your input, this has really made me stop and ask myself what am I doing here on eBay.

I am not a professional eBay Seller and do not have any requirement for turnover what so ever - still, got cought up in the thrill of selling and ended up offering rare designer items at Walmart prices in the heat of the run.

Your post has straighten up my perspective. I don't want Buyers looking for the cheapest to borrow for the weekend then return with false claims.

The items I am offering are not mass produced versions for export, but made for and purchased at designer stores in Europe. They are oriented towards mostly Collectors and Buyers looking for quality and design, who will hopefully not feel the urge to request me to sell a nearly new $600+ designer jacket for $50 Priority shipping included, because they know what they are looking at.

Selling it like a Flea Market event will understandable bring me a specific group of Buyers, which is not my desire.

I am tired of borrowing or gifting items and paying for the "pleasure" - know of better ways to get rid of stuff fast that will not cost me money in the end.

I have been working all Sunday, picking only the good stuff and placing it nicely in empty closet in my guest room, all clothing in protective bags, etc.

Just had to get it out of sight in order not to lose motivation in minimalizing my world.

Will list just a few at a time as adviced, and without compromising on prices.

All of the other stuff will be donated, and some of the more common clothing will be listed in huge bulks to a spot price, NWT or not.

This will let me get back to looking at selling on eBay as a tiny hobby and without fear for negs, star dings and what not - just ding it, i don't care, my business is elsewhere as my full time job.

I have also copy-pasted a couple of statements from your listings, due to my poor English.

Please let me know if this bothers you and I will remove.

On the thrift store advice: Tried it, placed a NWT $150 RL skirt at a local thrift store. Didn't hear from the lady so I went to ask and was informed my skirt didn't sell and she didn't know where it was. I just didn't have time to exchange bad energy over a skirt and so I left. 

Peace, love and great sales to All 🙂

Message 43 of 77
latest reply

Feel free to copy from everyone as long as it is true for you, of course - I am sure I picked up ideas from other sellers when I searched for things I wanted myself.  I cannot promise to be an expert here - so many people are way beyond me on eBay with their sales of beautiful things.

I too got caught up in the insanity, but it is very true that many different types of sellers exist on eBay and no one has all the answers for everyone else.  My rule of thumb is to treat my customers as I would like to be treated and have enjoyed being treated, without returns/refunds.  It is scary to buy from a stranger especially  if the item is high end and has no returns on it.  That is why I say be very very careful piece by piece - and you seem to have made a very good friend in gopetersen who can help you with your English.

If eBay ends up not to be the right place for everything you sell, after a while you can branch out to other venues.  I actually think eBay is better than a few others I have tried despite some issues.  

Best of luck and FUN.   You sound lovely!  So happy you are here at eBay!

Message 44 of 77
latest reply

@urdi27 wrote:

Thanks again for all your thoughts, comments and ideas. 

It is so warming and makes the whole experience feel less lonely when reading others run into similar situations.

Beautiful picture! Haven't seen snow for a while...

gentle_offers, thank you for your input, this has really made me stop and ask myself what am I doing here on eBay.

I am not a professional eBay Seller and do not have any requirement for turnover what so ever - still, got cought up in the thrill of selling and ended up offering rare designer items at Walmart prices in the heat of the run.

Your post has straighten up my perspective. I don't want Buyers looking for the cheapest to borrow for the weekend then return with false claims.

The items I am offering are not mass produced versions for export, but made for and purchased at designer stores in Europe. They are oriented towards mostly Collectors and Buyers looking for quality and design, who will hopefully not feel the urge to request me to sell a nearly new $600+ designer jacket for $50 Priority shipping included, because they know what they are looking at.

Selling it like a Flea Market event will understandable bring me a specific group of Buyers, which is not my desire.

I am tired of borrowing or gifting items and paying for the "pleasure" - know of better ways to get rid of stuff fast that will not cost me money in the end.

I have been working all Sunday, picking only the good stuff and placing it nicely in empty closet in my guest room, all clothing in protective bags, etc.

Just had to get it out of sight in order not to lose motivation in minimalizing my world.

Will list just a few at a time as adviced, and without compromising on prices.

All of the other stuff will be donated, and some of the more common clothing will be listed in huge bulks to a spot price, NWT or not.

This will let me get back to looking at selling on eBay as a tiny hobby and without fear for negs, star dings and what not - just ding it, i don't care, my business is elsewhere as my full time job.

I have also copy-pasted a couple of statements from your listings, due to my poor English.

Please let me know if this bothers you and I will remove.

On the thrift store advice: Tried it, placed a NWT $150 RL skirt at a local thrift store. Didn't hear from the lady so I went to ask and was informed my skirt didn't sell and she didn't know where it was. I just didn't have time to exchange bad energy over a skirt and so I left. 

Peace, love and great sales to All 🙂

Your English is waaaaayyy better than most members here.  As is your attitude. 

Don't know about Ebay but you'll go far in life.  Wish you the best, and hope you stick around the forum.

Message 45 of 77
latest reply