cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you recognize these riding boots?

I bought these boots at auction, I tried to google lens them. It didn't work. Do you recognize the brand? Also, where is the size in the code shown?

IMG_3696.JPGIMG_3697.JPGIMG_3684.JPGIMG_3695B.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Do you recognize these riding boots?

Can you get a close up photo of the embossed text/logo on the soles?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That ‘A” looks like the Aigner logo, but know absolutely nothing about if these are authentic or not. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

On second look, the legs on the bottom of the Aigner horseshoe logo seem to have a little crossbar that’s missing on these, so best to see if some else can identify. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@gardensgrey wrote:

That ‘A” looks like the Aigner logo, but know absolutely nothing about if these are authentic or not. 

If you mean the stitching on the side, that is to attach the pull loops, so that you can pull the boots on with boot pulls (because they normally fit snugly in the calf).

Etienne Aigner boots are fashion boots, inspired by but not intended for horseback riding, so they would not have pull loops in them. At any rate, the stitching is shaped like a horseshoe (like the Aigner logo) but there is no cross bar to make it a letter A.

These are generic riding boots, not any particular brand, since they don't have a logo on them. Unless there is one on the sole of the boots, but OP hasn't provided a close up of what might be a logo on the sole.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I knew someone much more knowledgeable than I would give the OP some good info. I appreciate your explanation! 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I didn’t post as these boots are out of my wheelhouse but IMO they are not generic and are branded but worn off. They’re extremely well constructed American riding boots. That’s not an A IMO-it’s a horseshoe. If you really want to ID them start searching horseshoe logos and calling equestrian riding shops. You can also just list them as vintage Black Tall Shaft Black Riding Equestrian Boots Horseshoe Stitch but you need to figure out the size. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The two well-known brands of English-style riding boots made in the USA are Dehner (Omaha, NE) and Vogel (NYC). These boots are not made by either of them. Their logos would still be visible even when the boots are completely worn out (which takes decades of hard use).

Neither of those companies used horseshoe shaped stitching to attach the pull loops. I don't think this stitching can be used to identify the brand, as different companies may have used the same shape of stitching. It was never something that we looked for, anyway. I just checked around, and Dehner used two curved lines like this ) ( , but so did some unbranded boots. Vogel boots didn't always have visible stitching.

These appear to be from the last quarter of the 20th century, probably the 1970's or 1980's from the shape of the topline and the height and shape of the leg part. Later styles would usually have been taller, and curved upwards on the outside edge, and had narrower ankles as well. This shape is more traditional.

The quality and craftsmanship of riding boots in that time period was generally very good, even if they weren't name-brand boots. Otherwise the boots would wear out too fast, with the hard wear they got. I still have my riding boots from that era (and continued to use them at formal riding events), while my newer ones from this century wore out in a few years, even the "better" brands.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply