cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are **bad ESN** phones allowed to be sold on eBay?

sdlovell
Enthusiast
These phones are, by definition, phones which have been identified by the carrier as stolen, lost, activated on another persons account, etc. I don't see how selling stolen property on eBay is a viable means of handing off these devices.

Yes, in some cases it's possible that phones can be flashed to other networks to get around the bad ESN tag and therefore still be used for their intended purpose, but it doesn't make any sense that eBay is allowing the auctions of so many devices with the bad ESN tag.

Require that the ESN status of each device be laid out and establish guidelines for selling cell phones. The carriers aren't all that helpful, but if a third party could get involved and guide or guarantee that the buyer won't be stuck with a non-working device, then we'd all be a little bit happier.
Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

Re: Why are **bad ESN** phones allowed to be sold on eBay?

I sell bad esn phones all the time. You people dont understand the business and how it works. The key word is "insurance" original owners are using this to scam local buyer and after some time report phone lost. Example: owner buys iphone7 On payment plan and sells phone to someone and the imei come up clean. Then after some months the phone is reported lost. Now seller just made 500 to 700. Now files claim and pay 200 for new phone. Profit 300 to 500. So before you blame people for trying to make their money back. Ebay allows but it has to be sold for parts only not working.
Message 196 of 220
latest reply

Some of the phones they are selling is not even good and telling you they are brand new. I just purchased a few phones and none of them are good the sad part I took them to another country, I'm thinking about not buying from ebay anymore and stick with Amazon stand a better chance
Message 197 of 220
latest reply

Some of the phones they are selling is not even good and telling you they are brand new. I just purchased a few phones and none of them are good the sad part I took them to another country, I'm thinking about not buying from ebay anymore and stick with Amazon stand a better chance
Message 198 of 220
latest reply

Message 199 of 220
latest reply

The system we use in USA is different from Europe's. Most of the rest of the world is on GSM.

Message 200 of 220
latest reply

Use SWAPPA. They make sure all numbers check out. I have bought phones from them andthey all check out fine!!! www.swappa.com
Mike Sharp
Message 201 of 220
latest reply

Buy your phones from Swappa. They check all ESNs and only whitelisted phones ready for activation are allowed on the site.
Message 202 of 220
latest reply

Most buyers can't even spell cdma
Message 203 of 220
latest reply

Your previous message

I am a disabled single mother of 2 and I saved up the Very little money I had and waited up all night to get the best deal possible and I picked You and I finally receive my phone and it comes back BLACK LISTED!!!! THEY LITTLE_STAR_ELECTRONICS Robbed me knowing full well that this was a stolen phone someone did not finish paying for so it's locked and Completely Useless and they did this to me and my kids! THEY Robbed a disabled mother blind for the holidays and I had to spend money to buy another phone and I am now broke for the holidays Christmas for us ruined thanks to SCAM  NOW I have NO MONEY FOR MY CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS hope everyone else has happy holidays but mine is DESTROYED 
Message 204 of 220
latest reply

Did they disclose the phone had a bad esn before you purchased? If not, file a PayPal claim for item received not as described and explain your case. If you were not made aware of the phone being black listed in the description, you'll get your money back!

Message 205 of 220
latest reply

Hi Yes I even gave ebay the Proof from Verizon and they said they would refund me After they get the phone back thing is I saved and waited up for cyber Monday NOW that time has passed so I had to have a phone as I am a mother of 2 children and needed a phone asap so I have to wait the little start electronics had the nerves to say oh sorry for the "INCONVENIENCE"  but they would not even send me a phone that isn't BLACKLISTED and no bad esn LIKE I PAID for it was listed as completely useable NOW I have $30 in my account for this whole month and No Christmas for my kids I'm sloop Heartbroken and extremely angry

Message 206 of 220
latest reply

Soooo not sloop sorry
Message 207 of 220
latest reply

Start charging criminal charges to eBay for every stolen phone or other item sold. An auction house is responsible for mankind sure they are not settling stolen property and can be charged for doing so. Same should be for eBay. And if they cannot be charged for allowing it then they need to be fined a recycled amount per phone like 1k
Message 208 of 220
latest reply

That's why are you letting them sell stolen phones that's receiving stolen goods you are committing a crime just by letting them sell them just as bad as people you buy a phone off it works a month 2 months down the road they stopped paying on the phone now you got a phone it's also blacklisted what are you going to do to protect us why should we buy this junk off your website that you're making money off of

Message 209 of 220
latest reply

You can ask every question in the world that's not going to change the fact you have dishonest Sellers that have leased phones they sell you the phone then they stopped making payments you think they're going to tell you that you better wake up. If you buy used phone you got a 50-50 chance of it being clear and no problems

Message 210 of 220
latest reply