cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Porcelain Doll - Age & Maker?

This doll belonged to a neighbour of my mother's. When she died, my mother received this doll from the woman's collection. It has been sitting in a drawer for quite some time. We know nothing at all about it altho my sister thinks it is an "American Beauty" doll? My mother thinks an "Eaton Beauty"?

Hoping someone out there can identify it - when it was made/age of the doll and possibly who the maker was and if it might have any value.

Pushing up the wig at the back, there are the numbers 390; A 3 1/2 M and also the hand-written B10. Pretty sure the word under the hairline is GERMANY. The letters I found behind the right ear look to be the end of a word and look like EILLE. The B10 is also hand-written on the back of the neck of the doll and also inside the hole where the head is supposed to be.

The face is all painted although there are some eye lashes of "hair" remaining on the edge of the eye lids. It is a "sleeper" doll - the eyes close when she is laid down/open when upright. Not sure what the wig is made of - the hair is very coarse. Could be horse's hair; dirty human hair.... just do not know. SHe has an open mouth and is showing teeth.

The head and hands are porcelain. The arms, legs and body appear to be some composite material - the body is hard - not a stuffed soft body. The arms and legs are also "jointed" with balls - see photos.

I believe the costume/dress to be original to the doll. The dress, to me, looks like late 1800's or early 1900's (up to 1920's?) Believe the shoes are original as well, altho she has lost the "cardboard" sole on one of her shoes. Also has the pink "straw" hat with flowers & ribbons.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

MORE PHOTOS

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi skyhart,

Your doll is a product of the Armand Marseille factory ( the name sounds French, but, it was a German company). She dates circa 1890's-1930's, the 390 model was a popular doll.

https://dollreference.com/marseille_armand_dolls.html

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for that relieved... Anybody have a clue as to what the A 3 1/2 M stands for? Assume the A & M is for Armand Marseille but what is the 3 1/2? I see some listed for sale on ebay and they have other numbers like the 3 1/2....

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You're welcome, skyhart. The 3 1/2 is probably a size number.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply