cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horsman DOLL Fairy Skin face: To clean or NOT to clean?

Thank you everyone for your time. I have a vintage Horsman doll that has never been played with, stored in original box, but the face is sticky or gummy to the touch.

She does have the fairy skin.

She is to be sold in the future, so my question is: Should I clean the face, OR leave her ~as is~ for her new home? If cleaning is suggested, what are your best recommendations? 

Thanks so much in advance! 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Horsman DOLL Fairy Skin face: To clean or NOT to clean?

It should come off with the dawn and gentle elbow grease, lol.

I had a Barbie that did that, it was stored in the attic.  I'm thinking the heat makes the vinyl/plasticizers do that, oozing out or something.  

Be careful around her eyebrows and lip paint, cause it may come off with too much scrubbing.  Sometimes, sometimes not.  Just go slow if you are not comfortable.  

You will be surprised that the spa treatment will get rid of a lot of that yellowing also.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi tickledpickins.

If She's vinyl, I would use a tiny tiny drop of Dawn dish soap on a damp, very damp washcloth or a piece of an old tee shirt.  Work in circles and rinse with a clean wet cloth.  Don't soak or dunk the doll in water.  Be careful around her eyes, don't let water get in them. I've had much luck with the Dawn.

I googled the fairy skin tag and it does say it's vinyl and washable.  

If you are not comfortable doing this, sell her as is and let the buyer clean her.  

Do you have a pic of her for us to see the dirt?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hello tiny_tailor, this is the best pic of her skin that I could manage. It's not necessarily dirty as much as it it sticky with a filmy substance. I just don't want to ruin it because she has never been played with, only admired. I spoke with the doll's original/only owner, and she said as a little girl she was not allowed to play with some of her special dolls. So, in the box she sat until recently. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just posted a pic of her face below! My apologies for the delayed reply. I'm new again to the boards.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It should come off with the dawn and gentle elbow grease, lol.

I had a Barbie that did that, it was stored in the attic.  I'm thinking the heat makes the vinyl/plasticizers do that, oozing out or something.  

Be careful around her eyebrows and lip paint, cause it may come off with too much scrubbing.  Sometimes, sometimes not.  Just go slow if you are not comfortable.  

You will be surprised that the spa treatment will get rid of a lot of that yellowing also.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'll try it out today. I love using Dawn soap, so there's plenty on hand to use. Thanks so much for your time!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply