cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying my mom’s Antique Doll

Hello community, I’ve exhausted my search for the manufacturer of this antique doll. My family believes that the doll is of French origin dating back to the 1850’s. The only marking I have been able to slightly see is what looks like an “R” and maybe an “A” on the doll’s back left shoulder, but it’s so faded I may be just seeing things.

Im hoping some of you who are more expert than I can identify a manufacturer and or the Doll’s name. Please let me know what y’all think. My mom and I would be so thrilled to know more about this family heirloom!

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You have what doll collectors refer to as a "French Fashion" doll. French fashion dolls usually have bisque heads, so, your mother's doll is a less commonly found version. She dates circa 1850's-1870's. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You have what doll collectors refer to as a "French Fashion" doll. French fashion dolls usually have bisque heads, so, your mother's doll is a less commonly found version. She dates circa 1850's-1870's. The doll might be the product of Madame Rohmer, but, I'm not 100% sure, that's just a guess on my part. She's a gorgeous doll, no matter her maker.

https://dollreference.com/rohmer_mme_leontine_dolls.html

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Another possibility for your doll's maker: Barrois, who also made dolls of the french fashion type with china heads. Sorry if these multiple posts are confusing, I just want to make it clear that other companies made this type of doll.

https://dollreference.com/barrois_eugene_dolls.html

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Not confusing at all, thank you for updating the info! Madame Rohmer Was one of the names I came across who’s dolls looked a lot like this one. I’ll check out the examples of Barrois dolls for comparison as well. Thanks for the links and the info! Very interesting about the materials commonly used!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply