cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaring Downhill - Brick Wall Ahead

It's been a long time since I last posted here and things have been deteriorating rapidly.  On top of all my other disability issues, I've just found out I have uncontrolled diabetes.

Because I have the worst doctor in the world, I have no idea what to do now, where to go - tried checking information on the internet, but, man, oh, man, there's a billion pages and links to links to links to links and you're buried so deep you are in danger of never coming out!

I'm going to try and stay away from eBay, as my comb buying is getting a bit out of control.  What I tend to do when I feel desperate is buy antique combs.  Makes sense, right? :o(

Haven't sold a Rag Tag Critter in so long can't even remember.  And now my hands are so bad I can no longer sew.  Did sell off a few of the hair sticks I'd originally started off with and can no longer make.  but they're about gone and don't think i'll post anymore of them, either.

In honor of Mother's Day - my mother has dementia which is progressing.  she considers me her "rock" and so i'm trying to keep her from completely going off the deep end with her daily mostly incomprehensible rants.  at least it gives my dad a break.  i'm housebound (mostly hospital-bed ridden), so am very cut off from "real" people.

there's really nothing any of you can say to this.  i suppose i'm not really even asking - just a rant while the bissell tries to clean up the carpet where the dog has been sick last night and this morning....

honest to god, it doesn't seem to end!  but at least i had a clue what to do about my other issues and now this.  i eat once a day, how can i spread that out?  it's cereal!!!

sorry.

peggy e.

door county, wi

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Roaring Downhill - Brick Wall Ahead

Peggy I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes too. I did the same thing you did with the internet. I settled on the National Diabetic Association website. It's the least commercial and has tons of good information.

I used to eat once a day too. I've had to change that and it hasn't been easy. I also used to eat when I was hungry and I can't do that any more either. I eat one main meal a day and I eat snacks. The snacks are usually fruit, nuts, cereal or some sort of sugar free thing. I don't do much of the sugar free snacks because they are expensive. The meals vary from salad to a full-on meat and potatoes or pasta thing or fish. I manage to keep my food cost around $10 a day doing this so some days are splurges and others are really limited.

What I can tell you is that I am feeling better. Change is never easy but in my case it's been worth the struggle. I used to have maybe 3 or 4 hours in a day where I could be up doing physical things. Now I can go 5 or 6 hours. Not every day, especially when it's something really physical like cleaning or doing laundry. 

If you are on Medicare you can get a lot of help from them. You can also get all your supplies free. If there's anything I can help you with, just let me know. The good thing about diabetes is it can be controlled. It's actually the only disease I have that can be treated.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Happy to see you posting Peggy

A lot of us are going thru difficult times here. What we like about this group is when letting some pain out like you are doing is ok here. We all feel your pain and are comforting to one another. The ladies even created a "Group Hug". Where else can you get those?:^O

I find a lot of help looking things up on:

www.wikipedia.org

The thing that works best for me is to go to a place where they are not trying to sell me something.

The most popular topic in our group is:

http://groups.ebay.com/topic/Disabled-E-Bayers/Problem-Solving-Solutionsworkarounds/Problem-Solution...

By reading thru the postings you will find people talking about lots of health issues. I've read them myself a few times and find help there. Nobody's trying to sell anything here.:^O

The birds are getting ready to come looking for me. My pretty wife is here to get me outside.

Happy Mothers Day to the ladies,

DWB

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Glad to see you posting Peggy ... sounds like the old adage of when it rains... it pours.  You have had your fair share of problems ... hope you can get the diabetes under control.  Like DWB says ... you will find lots of support here ... just keep posting and if there isn't a topic to post under you can always create one.  Hope to hear more from you.

Kate

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Nice to see Peggy's posting back up the top. This describes a lot of us sometimes. 

Been learning  more about things in our group than most other places. The one learned recently was to "Keep It Simple". Nobody said this. it just occured to me while communicating with others. It seemed when reading postings, the thing that was working for some of us was to "Keep It Simple".

Kate did you see my posting about the Cortizone Cream on the tailbone theory? It is amazing how much it helps me.

Gotta go to the Rehab today be back probably in the later day or morning. 

DWB

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes, thanks DWB ... right now I am using a prescription strength rub called Lidocaine ... I have three jars of it ... it is most helpful but I will keep your tip in mind when this round of prescription runs out.

Kate

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Kate the doctor gives us a prescription for 2.5 strength Cortizone cream also. 

They want me to mix it 50/50 on my finger and rub it all into that painful region twice a day. Make sure you get the "Cream". The other ones stay sticky and are horrible. The Cream one sinks in pretty fast so its not un-comfortable like those others.

This has really helped me a lot. At the P/T in the Rehab they have this ultra sound ball thing. It feels like it is sticking tiny points in and out. Not painful it actually feels good. They have Cortizone Cream on the Ultra Sound Ball. And they keep moving it all around and carefully massaging the region with this process for 10 minutes.

This we prescribed by our doctor. It has become the best thing I have ever tried. Non invasive. Not a drug. Just a simple thing like that. And Medicare will pay for it 14 times a year. So I go in there about once a month for it.

Hope you are feeling better.

On this Memorial Day Weekend lets say a prayer and be thankful for all our troops, veterans, missing, wounded, and those who lost their lives to help keep us all safe in America.

Our street has our colors flying in front of almost every home.

DWB

Message 7 of 7
latest reply