cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off site? Replacements Ltd

I use a link for research and I found they have field people and thought that it was a possible way to sell items that didn't sell in my listings. I got a letter from them and there is a membership fee (a large one!) and a quota, etc. I believe that must be a rip off. What do you think?
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Rip off site? Replacements Ltd

elodiejane
Enthusiast
Yan, The image doesn't work in this: http://www.bulls2.com/indexb/howtomakealink2.html I'm not sure what it's referring to. Elodie
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Hi Elodie, I'm not quite following you, do you mean that the html code didn't work on the practice board? Or did you try to put a link in an auction? -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

elodiejane
Enthusiast
Hi Yan, There is an example 1/4 of the way down the page that doesn't load. I tried right clicking on it to view the image by itself but I get this message: "Not Found The requested URL /index/ebay/auctions.gif was not found on this server. Apache/1.3.27 Server at bulls2.com Port 80" I was thinking I might list some things on my other ID during the Thanksgiving to Christmas period. I don't have a clue about html so any tidbit of info helps. Elodie
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Hi Elodie, Don't go by the examples given, instead try makeing your own link and then go to the Practice Board (I hope it's working today). The author of these tips is recently deceased but the family has made efforts to keep the information available. Some of the links given as examples might not work. I would love to give you an example of the code to use that would place a link in your auction descriptions but it just won't work. The way things are set up in groups the code words would be translated and all you would see is the link. Here's what I'm trying to show. I will write a code here for a link to Bev's auctions. You will see the result will only show the actual link. Please visit my Friend bb_le_strange for more interesting items To get this link I went to Bev's page of items then copied the URL or Address from the browser bar at the top of my page. I pasted this url/address after the beginning code < a href = then closed with a > Next I wrote the Words, Please visit my Friend bb_le_strange for more interesting items and then closed the code with < slash a and another > I hope I'm not confusing you. It's very difficult to explain. I learned using the instructions on Bob's Tips. I had many trials and errors but once I got the hang of it ... Bam! Piece of Cake! :-D -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Hi, guys! An update on selling to Replacements. I called them with a list of things I have, they told me which pieces they want, then they emailed me a formal offer, good for 30 days, that says what they'll pay for each piece. I pay the postage, but there was no mention of any fee, as we discussed in this thread way back when. In the offer, they say what they'll pay for each piece. Some are worth it, some not -- it all depends on what they already have and how much demand. If you look on their site, you can almost tell which things they're likely to want based on how many they already have. I boxed up some plates today -- will get $30 from them, minus the $13+ for the shipping. Only sent the things that would have netted me less on eBay. I'd have had two more plates in there at $6 each, but just sold them -- TWO for $6 -- on eBay. 😞 We're not talking big bucks here, but I'm glad to get some of this stuff OUT. So what do I do as soon as the box is taped up? Head over to the resale shop and pick up even MORE stuff! Yikes, what an addict! later, Bev
Message 20 of 34
latest reply

Hi BB, Good to know that you could sell something to Replacements without it costing more than it was worth. It is sad isn't it that eBay has taken such a nose dive that even Replacements can do better for ya. Just a mental note from when I've been visiting the "R" place lately looking for ID help. There seems to be less and less patterns listed under each manufacturer and there are many posts that do not even have a photo. 😞 Is it just me? -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 21 of 34
latest reply

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Hey bb! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't they nice at Replacements? I called them last year to give them a listing of some of my stuff but they told me I had too much to give the item listing over the phone! HA HA HA HA HA! So I sat down to do a partial list of glass that I wanted to sell & became overwhelmed myself! TEE HEE HEE! From what you tell us--I regret not following thru w/it! BIG SIGH is being emitted from this hog! And yes, Yanny--I, too, noticed there are fewer real pics on that site. I wonder why? They are a relatively small business, correct? At least that's what they told me on the phone. I remember venturing into the actual site a while back but can't remember how many work there. But I do remember that they DID want a lot of my glassware. Guess I was just too lazy but now you, bb, have renewed my interest. Sure would be a lot easier than having that dreaded yardsale. Heavens to Betsy--I am actually dreaming about it now w/dread & it isn't to happen until at least April! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Hedgie
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

Hi- 

In regards to the negative comments;... Let me give people the possitrive 

Here is a quick picture of company.

"Replacements, Ltd.,. The company, which began in 1981, had an inventory in 2011 of 14 million items from more than 340,000 patterns, with annual sales of $80 million to 10 million customers"

I've read the comment preceding mine; I've never had a problem their service.

• They haven't they always wanted what I had to sell but gave me nice checks for what they wanted.
  • Their supplier program: You can't access the web portal unless you’re in program. YES You Do Have To Pay to JOIN PROGRAM. (Would you pay ebay a yearly fee to sell?) YES I WOULD.....
  • Lastly; I've never had a bad experience with their employees. Actually I've only had good transactions. 

To make good money with replacement you need to have a strong knowledgebase of the different periods that glass was make. I use their site to educate myself also. Also like anything worthwhile it takes hard work.

I rarely comment on people’s bad attitudes............................ BUT PEOPLE THAT ARE NEGATIVE Instead of complaining read a book on glass collecting or something that will help you reach your goals. 

Now go list some Merch or get acouple books on Glass. You can only blame urself if you don't achieve your goals.  

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

years ago i inquired directly from them, they will send you a huge catalog, that has the prices they would pay you for each piece, mostly were pennies on the dollar, and you pay shipping. i have a friend who had a catalog and said it wound up to be too much time and not enough money,for her, to go looking for items to sell to replacements, buy, and ship etc... it is a volume earning. it was worth more to just lower her prices on some items in her local booth. i do not know if they addtionally have employees who go out and look also.call them and ask for more current info. replacements is not a rip off, it is a business. 'replacements' prices are rather high if you are thinking to buy and flip, but are fair if you need to complete a collection....think of how many years someone would have to look, in order to find that one, last, special piece. am thinking replacements also has quite a few leftovers, which would explain for their lower purchasing prices from catalog/ 'field people'.
🙂
Message 24 of 34
latest reply

Shipping to Replacements is a terrible idea. Fill a box truck or something similar and drive it down. Of course the shipping would eat a ton of $$ profit. The reason there aren't many people saying positive things is..... They don't want to lose this niche. Of course it not for everyone. If it doesn't fit for you just move on to something that you like. Lastly, the area you live in might be slim on valuable glass/ pottery. I live in Ohio. Glass, pottery ect is abundant. So your friends correct. It's a terrible idea; so just let it pass.. Or not
Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Yes picture are what I send. I've sold them several Glassware Sets. I've never had an issue speaking with their employees. I think the problem is People think a business process should be what they want it to be. Kinda a fairy tail. Two suggestions 1) Learn what is really valuable vs trendy or reproduced. 2) follow directions. (Seriously their sales of $80 million to 10 million year. i've read one seller wanted to read them a list over the phone? Learn how thing work and repeat. STOP talking to these people that are not successful. Or not....
Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Yes it is you. I use the site all the time to get info on items I have to sell. I also sell to them. They have 340,000 patterns AS OF 2011. By now it's gotta be over a half million. Use google images to identify items. Also learn the terminology relating to your items. Do that and then Ask Google. If you know they key words you'll find your item 3 outa 4 times. Learn how to really use Google's search power. It Free...
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

Thank you. Its not for everyone just as internet sales doesn't work for all things. Low margins / high volume..you're right on the money. Just as Low volume / High margins. In the end, if you do what you like you'll be successful. For instance, I wouldn't ship what I sold to them. Instead I would file a box truck and drive to North Carolina. Shipping surely will kill profits. Blessings
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Not sure why the response regarding Replacements after such a long time (did you even notice the dates?), but I feel I have to respond, too.

First of all, since my question about selling to Replacements YEARS AGO, I have sold items to them on several occasions. I haven't joined anything or paid any fee, so I have no idea where THAT idea came from. I just submit the name of the pattern(s) I wish to sell, and they send back an offer for the pieces they want. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping sometimes exceeds the potential income, so I just don't bother.

Second of all, I take exception to the comments about being negative and, good grief, "buying a book on glass"!? Those two people used to be very active on this site, and one of them was a site manager. Between them, they probably own more glass books than you can even imagine, and I wouldn't doubt that they've FORGOTTEN more about glass than you could ever hope to know!!! Get off your high horse, and, for pete's sake, look at those dates before sharing your great wisdom!

bb

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Dates aside.. That matters little in the scheme of things
I always chuckle at you saying " I wouldn't doubt that they've FORGOTTEN more about glass than you could ever hope to know!!!" How do you measure the amount a person's forgotten? Also Albert Einstein said ...There is no reason to memorize what you can find in a book. Add the internet and it's all the easier. I still love books though. I'm smart as hell; don't hate.
Message 30 of 34
latest reply