cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modern Forest Green pattern name?

I'm appealing to you geniuses for a pattern identification of a modern votive in A/H's Forest Green.  I recognize the pattern as one that was produced many years ago, but I believe this one is quite modern.  (I just love Forest Green items, A/H or not.)  I will make an attempt to post a phot; otherwise this post is futile!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Modern Forest Green pattern name?

You have a little bit of a quandary on your hands...

Your Toothpick Holder is a combination of patterns "S Repeat" and "Eyewinker"

There are many manufacturers.... L.G.Wright, L.E.Smith, Mosser Glass, some EAPG manufacturers, maybe Fenton, etc. on and on...

Most times, you see just Eyewinker, or you see S Repeat....

You say you think it is "modern"... Is that because of low quality glass or workmanship, or what ??

How tall is your Toothpick Holder ??????

Hopefully someone else on this board can pin it down for you, but you really should submit the measurments.

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Dear Linda,

It has been many years since someone so kind has made me feel so incredibly STUPID!  Toothpick!  Of course!  What caused my idiocy is that one does not find a vintage toothpick in a thrift shop for 49 cents.  Of course I thought it was a votive candle holder.  That shelf also had several pieces of A/H's Forest Green, which I also bought.  Thank you more than you'll ever know for making me feel so dumb.  It's a pleasure. 

Oh, size,  It stands 2 1/2 inches high.  The top diameter edge to edge is 2 1/4 inches, and the base diameter is 1 3/4 inches.  When I posted the original question, I hadn't even measured it yet, so set was I in claiming it is a votive.  As an additional excuse for my stupidity, I recently moved to somewhat rural Pennsylvania from metro Denver, Colorado.  That "older" items are found more often here escaped me until now.  I may just "hang out" here periodically to educate my dried out western desert brain.

Linda, thank you once again -- and I apologize to all you geniuses for being the exact opposite.

cealemelagli (Patty)

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Patty...

It was never my intention to make you feel dumb....

I am the one who feels dumb because I cannot positively i.d. your votive candle holder ... ooops, I mean Toothpick Holder Smiley Frustrated

Smiley Very HappySmiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

Ok, aside from the humor.... There is a chance that your piece is EAPG.... meaning older...

If you research, you will find the S Repeating & the Eyewinker (made by L.G. Wright...

But yours is a combination of both styles.

I truly hope one of the other folks here will chime in.

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Linda, again thank you.  I'm pleased that you recognized my somewhat sarcastic and self-deprecating humor.  That said, I did feel like a fool immediately upon seeing the simple word, "toothpick."  Perhaps some manufacturer purchased moulds and joined the two patterns?  As far as glass ID goes, I know just enough to be dangerous -- and mistaken.  I will be perusing the other posts to see if I can absorb some basic knowledge.  I do love this piece and am debating on whether to list it or not.  Maybe I'll keep it for a while as one of the "treasures" I've found at thrifts.

Patty 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

May I ask you one more question.
When you look at the glass - really look at it --- does it look like old glass to you?
well, 2 questions... does the pattern look sharp and crisp, or kind of beaten down like a reproduction would look. ???
It's hard to tell from your photo.
Best, Linda
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

not L.G.Wright not smooth enough. if you searcrh L.G.WRIGHT you can clealy see the difference .my geuss would be made in mexico I have seen alot of glass that has the same texture as this piece every time we go there. just a thought  . what dose the bottom look like? 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi Linda,

It's not sharp/crisp.  It's a slightly deeper green than the Anchor Hocking forest green, but very close.  I have  been thinking that it's a repro, but I've already shown how (un)knowlefgeable I am regarding glass patterns and age.  If I list it, it will not say "vintage."

Patty

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Hi,

Thanks for your input.  The bottom is flat with no designs.  I guess that confirms my belief that it is a modern repro...  I originally thought so, but being "switched" from my thought of votive to Linda's suggestion of toothpick got me a little more excited.  Perhaps someone else will love the design and color and not care about the probable age.

Patty (cealemelagli)

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

This piece is unquestionably a repro for two reasons.  Original Eyewinker was not made in colors, it was clear only.  In addition, in the original Eyewinker pattern there was no toothpick holder, that came later.  Could be from anywhere, but definately not an EAPG piece.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Patty...
Guess I just can't leave this alone. 🙂
Regarding what kevi_dento said.... It may confuse you when he/she says "not smooth enough". In so much as this particular piece, that may be correct. However, when a reproduction happens, it is in fact "smoother" than an original. Also, sharper crisper details.
One big thing I noticed on yours... If you look around the "eye" the dimples are inverted inward. On a L.G.Wright Eyewinker, the dimples are outward.
I don't believe L. G. Wright had the exclusive on the wording "eyewinker" so if you list it maybe you could use the words: Green Eyewinker Scroll Toothpick Holder" AND THEN, in your description be sure to list it as a "possible/probable reproduction"
I don't think I would use Repeat S (I think that is exclusive wording to the manufacturer.
Who knows, somebody might just like it for the novelty of having a Repeat S/Eyewinker Reproduction.
Best, Linda
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

meant to say, an original has "sharper crisper" details.
it's been a long day 😞
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It has a crude casting look. But I would buy it for a 1.00 at a garage sale in a second. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

As always, a huge thank you to ALL of you.  Hopefully, I will be able to write a description that does not allege untruths.  I so appreciate your willingness to share your incalculable knowledge with me.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply