cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi from a newbie!

black65182696
Enthusiast
I recently got into glass (EAPG, Depression, etc.) and have only a few items (Normandie Grill plate, Mayfair creamer, Stippled rose sugar, Cameo handled plate, Banded rings 80 oz pitcher, etc.). I love the colors and patterns. I have a question: Do all DG items glow under a UV light or is it just certain colors? Sorry if it is a dumb question. Just curious. -Chris

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi from a newbie!

Hello Chris - Welcome to the Group! You are on your way to a fascinating and interesting collection! Congratulations!!! Glass that glows under a black UV light is referred to as Vaseline Glass. It does this because there is actually uranium in the glass. Not all Vaseline Glass is Old. Some companies are still producing small quantities today. Mostly Vaseline Glass will be a greenish color in normal lighting. Some other colors are made too but I can't remember which ones at the moment. We hope to hear from you often at group. Sharing is fun!! :-) Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi from a newbie!

vaseline glass is yellow and looks like the old vaseline looked...when you look down it it will appear kinda wet...like vaseline...
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi from a newbie!

hi waving~~~~<~@
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi from a newbie!

lakeeriebeachglass
Enthusiast
Hello! I am new to the group, too! Hello Carol! I collect beach glass and am always trying to educate myself on differant glass etc. Any way, here are a few pieces of UV glass that I found that come in a couple of differant colors. I find some that are light green, opaque green like jadeite and white. Oh! Not pictured is an interesting yellow/orange I found that glows orange under my black light! I'll try to post that one later!:) Jodie Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi from a newbie!

jodie hi!!! yanny is here also ..this is where i met her!!! i have a bag of beach glass i picked up on lake michigan last summer...i never thought of checking for uv...it seems it sells better on ebay in the winter ...if i could have found mine i would have sold it...of course now that i see notta going on i found it...lol hey maybe you can give us a mini class in the mosaic group about beach glass ....i dont think picking it up for one afternoon a year gives me a lick of knowledge...
Message 6 of 6
latest reply