cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butter Dish ID?

Hello.  I had researched this Vaseline dish a while back and now can't find my notes.  Cambridge drape pattern and a number, like 1105, if my memory hasn't completely left me.  Tray is 7 3/4" x 3" x 1/2" and the lid is 6" x  1/4" x 1 3/4".  Anyone know the pattern ID?  Many thanks for bailing me out!!

7.JPG1.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Butter Dish ID?

Your piece is Cambridge Glass "Caprice" Yellow #300 ... early 1950's

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you thank you. I was way off on the number but Caprice sounds familiar. Guess there's hope for half my brain. Have a wonderful day. The weather here is perfect. 

Kind regards,

Glenda

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

What a beautiful piece.. wonder what it retailed for?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

• Thank you. I don't know what is originally sold for. It wouldn't last a day of use in my home with my crew. There would be glass in my butter!  I'm not finding many with the rectangle shape. Lots to pick from in the round shape. 
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

According to my "Cambridge Caprice" book, this butter dish (Item #52b) was introduced by Cambridge in 1954 in crystal. It was reissued by Imperial and Summit. My "Colors in Cambridge Glass II) book shows a few pieces in yellow or gold, although none in the Caprice pattern. I guess it's safe to assume that your butter dish was made from Cambridge molds by either Imperial or Summit in the fifties or possibly later.

bb

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Caprice Butterdish

Approximately 31 of the original Caprice pattern molds are now owned by the Summit Art Glass company of Mogador, Ohio. The 1/4 lb. butterdish (Fig. 1), original Cambridge #52, is one of the molds that has been used in production. Some of the Caprice molds, but not all, have been reworked to produce a small raised bump on the new pieces of glass (Fig. 2). This bump is supposed to identify the pieces as new. As a practical matter, though, these small bumps are easily removed. A better way to catch new butterdishes is to examine how new and old are made.

To begin with, original Caprice butterdishes were never made in Moonlight Blue. According to the best evidence available, Caprice pattern butterdishes were made only in crystal -- all other colors should be highly suspect. In addition to simple color, another good test of age is to check the seam lines around the butterdish handles. The handles of originals were polished and have virtually no trace of a mold seam; seams on new butterdishes are obvious (Fig. 3).

The new butterdish also suffers from a characteristic found in almost all reproduction glassware -- a slick, greasy feeling surface. This is caused by large amounts of sodium in new glass formulas. The sodium attracts moisture to the surface of the glass which in turn attracts airborne dust particles. The dust and moisture combine to produce microscopic 'mud' which creates the greasy feeling. It occurs on all colors of new glass and is found on pressed as well as blown glass. The slick feeling is almost always proof of a glass reproduction.

THIS INFO CAME FROM THE SITE "REAL OR REPRO".... Might help you determine if yours is Cambridge or not... That, and any history you might know of the piece... like when the original owner bought it.

oH, AND I ALSO SAW THAT IT IS BEING MADE IN JAPAN NOW... And is marked "Japan"

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Great info on glass!
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This piece fails 2 of the 3 tests. It has obvious mould lines around the handles and what I thought was an air bubble on the tray, is actually the raised dot. It isn't slick or greasy feeling. Thinking now that it is a pretty butter dish but not Cambridge. Thank you for the lesson and the reference sites. Lots of great information that I'll use in the future. Living in Ohio, I find lots of great glass, and sometimes, a knock off. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. Looking into Summit and Imperial as possibilities. It isn't an original Cambridge butter dish. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply