cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I kill crazy ants?

Good morning all,

It is spring and already I am fighting ants coming in the house. I am not sure of their real name, but they are tiny and when you get around them they scatter in all different directions. I think that they are called crazy ants or sugar ants. They are driving me crazy. I have used gel killer and they will gather around it and eat it, but in a couple of days more are back. Is their a product that you know of that is effective? Thanks in advance.
~ Nancy ~
Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Boiling water?
Message 2 of 48
latest reply

I get those little brown sugar ants in the kitchen, I think their nest was actually inside the wall behind the sink. Terro works great, just make sure your pets can't get at it. I put a quarter sized dollop of it on a piece of cardboard way on the back of the counter near the sink at the first sign of an ant. Sometimes within an hour I would have to "feed" the little boogers again, they would suck up all they could and head back to the nest to feed everyone else. It takes a few days, but it will get them.

The little bottle I have is probably 20 years old, it doesn't take much at all. It's one of the very few chemicals or poisons I will use, that and wasp spray. Any other sort of insect life I just live with or swat, I figure they were here first, but ants drive me absolutely crazy!

I have the same problem. Ants are marching through the kitchen singing the picnic song just like in cartoons. Try mixing some boric acid with a pinch of sugar to attract them. This should take care of the problem in a few days. You can get boric acid in drug stores. This is good to get rid of fleas and roaches too.
Message 4 of 48
latest reply

screech109
Enthusiast
An old time method is to sprinkle coffee grounds around the outside of your house. Ants hate coffee grounds. You can also place shallow tins of honey outside to attract them away from your house.

Make sure your floors and counters are always clean. Ants are attracted to any sugar residue. Use full strength Pine Sol to repel ants and spiders.

Susan
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

I had some coming in through the window. Sprinkled cinnamon in the sills & now no more ants! (at least not since last summer) Blessed are the cracked...
In memoriam of grimalkin24 aka GrimmyImage hosting by Photobucket
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Blessed are the cracked...
for they let in the light

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In memoriam of grimalkin24 aka GrimmyImage hosting by Photobucket
Message 6 of 48
latest reply

I have them too and I thought it was because they wanted my new kitty's food. Anyhow my hubby bought ant motels and they were gone in less than 24 hours. He said they take the poison back to the queen and it kills the whole tribe.
The home of "If you don't need it I have it!!"
Michelle
Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Hi,

I have been using the gel killer on them. It clears them up for about a day and then they move to another room. They were in my bathroom cupboard today!!! Eating what I have no idea. I took everything out and scubbed the cupboard. I put down tons of little strips of tape with the gel in there. They make me so MAD X-(!!! I think and I mean, I am really thinking, about calling the exterminator! Ugh!!!!!! But I will try your advice first. Much cheaper :-) Image hosting by Photobucket
~ Nancy ~
Message 8 of 48
latest reply

mnswholesale,

What brand of motels? Thanks! Image hosting by Photobucket
~ Nancy ~
Message 9 of 48
latest reply

johnhssf
Enthusiast
Get some crazier anteaters .

.Pay Attention......................Do Not Feed The Troll

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Living is not about how many breaths you take, but how many times it gets taken away.
Message 10 of 48
latest reply

I am afraid to ask.............what are they? Bait traps? Image hosting by Photobucket
~ Nancy ~
Message 11 of 48
latest reply

rachelcoyote
Thrill-Seeker
N.D......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anteater

~~~~Judy~~~~
(AKA: Too_Many_Shadows)

Smile and the world Smiles with you

Smile and the world smiles with you.

~~~Judy~~~

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Yup...........that's is what I thought it was.........you're BAD!!! Rachel.......Thanks! Image hosting by Photobucket
~ Nancy ~
Message 13 of 48
latest reply

e.j.a.y
Enthusiast

Spray all your surfaces with Vinegar and let it dry.

It is environmentally friendly and gets rid of any residue of grease, which attracts ants
~ whereas they dislike the smell of vinegar and will avoid it

. . and if you plant Mint around your home, it should deter them from entering

If you do see trails of them marching up to your door with a battering ram
Use boiling water N.D. as a quick, effective, cheap detterent
Message 14 of 48
latest reply

A few weeks ago those little ants started coming in by my kitchen sink window. I was going to sprinkle cinnamon around, or maybe boric acid, but they were looking so hopeful I decided to "feed" them instead. I put a tiny puddle of honey near their entrance hoping they would not go beyond into the kitchen. They gathered around it and then when the honey was gone they went away. The next day they were back again and again I put out a few drops of honey. When that honey was all gone they left and they have not been back since.

I am still trying to puzzle that out. Is honey toxic to ants? _^..^_
Message 15 of 48
latest reply