cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I kill crazy ants?

Good morning all,

It is spring and already I am fighting ants coming in the house. I am not sure of their real name, but they are tiny and when you get around them they scatter in all different directions. I think that they are called crazy ants or sugar ants. They are driving me crazy. I have used gel killer and they will gather around it and eat it, but in a couple of days more are back. Is their a product that you know of that is effective? Thanks in advance.
~ Nancy ~
Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

**good_rockin_faith**
Trailblazer
Junkhunters, those little ants are here every Spring in the bathroom & Kitchen. They literally cover everything with their lil' bodies that they can find to eat. This year was the first year they left but it was also the first year I used Vinegar/water to spray the counter tops & mop the floors with. I never thought about them until this thread. They will drive you crazy. LOL

I used Terro before & it worked great. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Live simply that others might simply live. ~ Elizabeth Seaton
Message 31 of 48
latest reply

I recently have killed 2 big black ants in here. I will have to try some of these things. In the past I have just bought the "ant traps" and they disappeared. Another thing is to find the nest and pour alittle gas on it, and light it. Yep, it works! As long as it's not close to the house of course.

Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten
~~~~~~ Cree Prophecy ~~~~~

"Mercy to Animals means Mercy to Mankind"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
- Albert Einstein
Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten
~~ Cree Prophecy ~~
Hate is like burning down a house to kill the fleas. Not worth it!!
Message 32 of 48
latest reply

justwannabuythis
Enthusiast
O M G U alll R 2 FunnE

My mom has these in HOUSTON. I was so scared to move them into the NEW house, since I too had them. The were even more abundant after "RITA". I had the new place fumigated, indoors. Now I have Different bugs and critters to deal with outdoors. I NOW know its just part of rural living.

Tried the gel Motels, only a temporary fix, for me atleast. Read that cormeal is the best, ants cannot digest, will take 2-3 days to actually KILL 'em.
Message 33 of 48
latest reply

justwannabuythis
Enthusiast
Tried the gel Motels, only a temporary fix, for me atleast.

I ment for the ants.
Message 34 of 48
latest reply

😄
Message 35 of 48
latest reply

ant bait recipe:

1 part yeast
10-15 parts sugar

if you find a lot of dead ants near the bait area, reduce the amount of yeast. The ants eat the sugar+yeast mix and ideally carry it back to the colony and feed it to the queen. Once the queen eats the yeast it will swell inside her and kill her. Once the queen is dead, the colony will die off as well.

That being said... our town is in the middle of a major "sugar ant" infestation right now. The stores are out of ant baits, and the ants avoid pesticides as well.

after killing off a bunch of ants with the yeast and sugar bait, I finally blended sevin dust with sugar in equal parts, and now almost all ants I see are dead by the time I see them. I'm just praying for colder weather to come and kill the rest of them off!
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

Actually you take a magnifying glass to see through and tweezers. You ants usually march in a line and as each one marches by you pinch their head off.

All God's creatures great and small.

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

after reading all those answers, the magic word was "vinegar"in which i am a firm believer! So, I got my own cleaning spray bottle [50% vinegar+50% rubbing alcohol] and spraied the area where I just saw them and around, sprayed the cats' beds...nothing moving. Will respray in 30 minutes just to make sure! and this night when every one follow me to the bedroom, I will spray boric acid..I have a 12 guage, but I will use a "trow-flame"[lance flamme] Have a great day!

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

By the way, last year we had an invasion of the normal ants [thru the kitchen wall]. Expensive pest control guy was summoned..paid..and I am sure the ants were back before he returned home!>>>Bounce sheets! It works!

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

10 hrs after I posted this message about spraying the area  with my spray [50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol]..NO ANTS..They are gone..try it.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

those ants will pass by sugar there are only two things they want. Water and some meat to eat buf or other other bugs. So feed em.

They seem to love turkey brest  So feed em just get a slice of turkey breast lunch meat spread some boric acid on them I use Hot Shot  ant and Roach Killer.  Very easily found. Got mine at Lowes.. Sprinkle it on the meat and put it where you see ants.  in about 30 mins you will see a ant trail going back to nest pay attention to it.  Take out the nest and your problems won't reappear unless there are other nests around So the ants eat your Turkey Breast lunch meat  and take it back to the queen and babies so to speak they dine on it to. Bingo they all die. Good bye nest.  Spraying will never work. Feed the queen. 

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

Common dish soap and I use amonia to with water. will kill just about any bug super fast. use a mist for flies and drain knats. a spray for bugs like ants and **bleep** roaches. Near instant death. How does it work. most bugs breathe through their skin or outer shell.  A spary of dish detergent will clog the pores they need to breathe and the amonia will blind them.  Try it don't every buy a commercial bug spray again. It really does kill every bug I have come across.

@marcejen wrote:

after reading all those answers, the magic word was "vinegar"in which i am a firm believer! So, I got my own cleaning spray bottle [50% vinegar+50% rubbing alcohol] and spraied the area where I just saw them and around, sprayed the cats' beds...nothing moving. Will respray in 30 minutes just to make sure! and this night when every one follow me to the bedroom, I will spray boric acid..I have a 12 guage, but I will use a "trow-flame"[lance flamme] Have a great day!

Way to expensive. Water some dish soap and amonia. Near instant death.  They will die in front of you.  Roaches may make a scoot to die about 30  seconds later belly up on their back.

@marcejen wrote:

Boric acid is a powder not a spray.  Whatt happens is the ant or bug will walk in it get their dirty little paws coated with it and they will try to lick it off and in the process kill themselves.  What is better is to give em a final meal they seem to love turkey breast  lunch meat.  Take a slice of it and put it where you see them.  Soon you will see a stream of them going back and forth to the nest. Pay attention to it.  But if successful they will feed the queen with your  boric acid rubbed bait and she'a a gonner.  So is the nest. 
Message 42 of 48
latest reply

Florida has crazy ants year round! They certainly are a nuisance. I spray my stove top and counters with peroxide and water, but thee vinegar could work too. The big problen when the get in the cereal in bagsv in plastic containers. Go right under the seals. Waste expensive food. Put ground cloves and bay leaves in and on shelves. Still get them. Suggestions?
Message 43 of 48
latest reply

I've had crazy ants for two weeks all over my home well last Night one of us got the bright idea to spray repel bug spray all over the floor and all the ants are gone this morning I'm so happy you can't even imagine
Message 44 of 48
latest reply

Just curious ... before trying a product designed specifically for that, what else did you try?

Message 45 of 48
latest reply