cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

Re: Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Here's another look at this issue:

DVD's CD' and VHS tapes all qualify for USPS Media Mail Rates, so it is not only for PRINTED MATTER. Here is what it says on their website:

"Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs."

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

Now, if we are to take this literally, Why can we send and buy VHS, DVD's AND CD's, all of which have advertising in them in various forms: Coming Attractions, Previews, Website Links, Special Sales, etc)?

In the back of most books, you will find advertsing from the publishers and authors for similar topics and books, with buying information such as order forms, website information, etc. BUT, we can send them via Media Mail.

And one last thought, I did not see in this whole thread, (though I did not read all of the posts): If you put a comic or two to 3 into an envelope, and weigh it, it costs about $1.67 to mail via FIRST CLASS POSTAGE, but the lowest rate for MEDIA MAIL for these same 3 comics, costs about $2.28.

Why on earth would a postal employee tell a customer to send at a lower rate if the buyer wants to pay more?
Message 421 of 533
latest reply

Why on earth would a postal employee tell a customer to send at a lower rate if the buyer wants to pay more?

Habit.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 422 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
OK. Last word here!

Bwa-haa haa!!
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 423 of 533
latest reply

What is worse, a great many sellers offering media mail are ripping their customers off by charging 2 or 3 times the actual charges.
I just wanted to pop in here and help beat the dead horse. I'm a full time comic merchant here on ebay. It's all I do for a living and I've shipped literally thousands and thousands of packages via media mail. I have NEVER had a problem...until today. For the first time I got an email from a customer who had his package opened by the postal inspector at his post office and he had to pay extra for the postage price difference. (We of course refunded him the extra cost.)

Anyway, I wanted to respond to two people here. The posts are old but nevertheless I thought it important to point a couple things out.

In regards to the person who claims all top rated sellers are being dishonest by shipping media. I'd say that's not always accurate. My return address says my company name on it (which has the word "comics" in it), and all the postal employees I deal with on my end all know exactly what I ship. I ship about 60 packages a day between ebay and my website, so they all know me personally and I've also asked them numerous times if comics qualified for media mail. They've all said that they do qualify unless I'm personally advertising in the comic. Now clearly it seems these postal employees are not correct, but if they are going to allow me to ship them and I'm being completely forthcoming about the contents of the package, then I'm not being dishonest. It seems the post offices across the country need to get on the same page as it's not the public's job to be postal "Lawyers". I rely on my postal employee to tell me what i can and can't do and anything further is not my responsibility. My only concern is whether or not my customers are being forced to pay extra by my use of media mail. Up until today that hasn't been the case.

I also wanted to respond to the person who said sellers who use media usually overcharge their customers. I can't speak for ever seller, but you guys need to keep in mind, that postage is not the only thing that goes into the shipping rate. Boxes alone can cost anywhere from 60 cents up to a few dollars depending on the box. Also,the corrugated boards we use to sandwhich our comics inside the box also cost about 20 cents a piece and we use at least two of them. Then there's the bags and boards, the tape, the sticker label, etc. All this stuff costs money. Additionally we also are responsible for any package that does get lost or damaged in shipping since ebay no longer alllows for optional shipping insurance. There's no way I'm sending out a $100 order without shipping insurance, so I build that into our shipping rate. Even with all that, we still only charge a flat $4.99 for as many books as you want. Technically speaking we actually end up losing money on shipping for about 25% of our orders. If you buy 50 books from us, and we send it media mail, $4.99 is a fantastic bargain for the buyer. Yeah, it's not so much of a bargain when you buy 1 book, but still, we really don't make money on shipping even with the single book orders since packaging does add so much to the cost. We don't skimp on packaging like a lot of sellers. We want our customers to get their books undamaged. This costs a little extra for us, but it's usually worth it.

Oh and yes we do use first class whenever the weight allows, but that's usually only for orders of two books or less.

Anyway, just wanted to give my two cents on this topic.
Message 424 of 533
latest reply

I just wanted to pop in here and help beat the dead horse. I'm a full time comic merchant here on ebay. It's all I do for a living and I've shipped literally thousands and thousands of packages via media mail. I have NEVER had a problem...until today. For the first time I got an email from a customer who had his package opened by the postal inspector at his post office and he had to pay extra for the postage price difference. (We of course refunded him the extra cost.)

Anyway, I wanted to respond to two people here. The posts are old but nevertheless I thought it important to point a couple things out.

In regards to the person who claims all top rated sellers are being dishonest by shipping media. I'd say that's not always accurate. My return address says my company name on it (which has the word "comics" in it), and all the postal employees I deal with on my end all know exactly what I ship. I ship about 60 packages a day between ebay and my website, so they all know me personally and I've also asked them numerous times if comics qualified for media mail. They've all said that they do qualify unless I'm personally advertising in the comic. Now clearly it seems these postal employees are not correct, but if they are going to allow me to ship them and I'm being completely forthcoming about the contents of the package, then I'm not being dishonest. It seems the post offices across the country need to get on the same page as it's not the public's job to be postal "Lawyers". I rely on my postal employee to tell me what i can and can't do and anything further is not my responsibility. My only concern is whether or not my customers are being forced to pay extra by my use of media mail. Up until today that hasn't been the case.

I also wanted to respond to the person who said sellers who use media usually overcharge their customers. I can't speak for ever seller, but you guys need to keep in mind, that postage is not the only thing that goes into the shipping rate. Boxes alone can cost anywhere from 60 cents up to a few dollars depending on the box. Also,the corrugated boards we use to sandwhich our comics inside the box also cost about 20 cents a piece and we use at least two of them. Then there's the bags and boards, the tape, the sticker label, etc. All this stuff costs money. Additionally we also are responsible for any package that does get lost or damaged in shipping since ebay no longer alllows for optional shipping insurance. There's no way I'm sending out a $100 order without shipping insurance, so I build that into our shipping rate. Even with all that, we still only charge a flat $4.99 for as many books as you want. Technically speaking we actually end up losing money on shipping for about 25% of our orders. If you buy 50 books from us, and we send it media mail, $4.99 is a fantastic bargain for the buyer. Yeah, it's not so much of a bargain when you buy 1 book, but still, we really don't make money on shipping even with the single book orders since packaging does add so much to the cost. We don't skimp on packaging like a lot of sellers. We want our customers to get their books undamaged. This costs a little extra for us, but it's usually worth it.

Oh and yes we do use first class whenever the weight allows, but that's usually only for orders of two books or less.

Anyway, just wanted to give my two cents on this topic.

Interesting post. Thanks.
Message 425 of 533
latest reply

Wow. Sorry, but I did not read this entire thread to see who or why a five year old thread was resurrected.
Speaking of dead horses!!

You can ship anything media mail if you chose to ignore or put your own spin on the wording in the guidelines. Just be prepared to either get a package back at you (postage due) or an irate buyer that received a package postage due, or (at the extreme possibility) a withdrawal of your ability to ship via USPS at all.

This thread started way back when bound printed matter was still an option for the small seller. It isn't now. I would very much rather media rate mail did not follow.

Comics have advertising. Even those that do not are periodicals...as in vol this issue that. Not media mail.

Radine
Message 426 of 533
latest reply

Not media mail.

Periodicals are not excluded from Media Mail. Moot point.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 427 of 533
latest reply

You can ship anything media mail if you chose to ignore or put your own spin on the wording in the guidelines.

Exactly. For many sellers, their hand is forced by the competition. When just about all of your competition is using Media Mail, a seller who sticks to Parcel Post & Priority Mail is losing bid money, as most buyers bid based on total price.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 428 of 533
latest reply

Today I received a package of comic books, with ads, shipped media that was stamped "Opened for inspection by the USPS". It was then delivered with no additional postage due. So there.

Message 429 of 533
latest reply

Today I received a package of comic books, with ads, shipped media that was stamped "Opened for inspection by the USPS". It was then delivered with no additional postage due. So there.

Yep. Has happened to me at least six times in the past six years. Each time, searched and delivered. They're looking for bowling balls, silverware and the occasional vibrator; not comic books.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 430 of 533
latest reply

Yep. Has happened to me at least six times in the past six years. Each time, searched and delivered. They're looking for bowling balls, silverware and the occasional vibrator; not comic books.

I've gotten several that have been inspected myself with no problem.Guess it only matters to a very small minority.
Message 431 of 533
latest reply

It all depends on which Post office you go to. I always ship a few comics Via Media mail with a tracking #, & Also place at least 6 Golden age backing boards for a sturdy protection, It also has to be 1/4 inch thick to qualify as a media mail shipment.
Message 432 of 533
latest reply

It all depends on which Post office you go to. I always ship a few comics Via Media mail with a tracking #, & Also place at least 6 Golden age backing boards for a sturdy protection, It also has to be 1/4 inch thick to qualify as a media mail shipment.

I usually ship a bagged and boarded comics in a HARD RIGID-JIFFY mailer, which is not that thick (1/4 inch) via media mail, and it costs $2.38 MEDIA MAIL postage.

Could it be making it through because the same package sent FIRST CLASS only costs $1.87?

I always wondered this...
Message 433 of 533
latest reply

I usually ship a bagged and boarded comics in a HARD RIGID-JIFFY mailer, which is not that thick (1/4 inch) via media mail, and it costs $2.38 MEDIA MAIL postage.

Could it be making it through because the same package sent FIRST CLASS only costs $1.87?

I always wondered this...

I've got to say that anyone who would ship anything that qualifies for 1st class by any other method is missing a screw or two.

Message 434 of 533
latest reply

1st class need to be over 1/4 inch thick to get dc.
Message 435 of 533
latest reply