cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

Re: Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

I have to live near the most anal PO's in the country. Whenever I bring in any media mail, they always ask me if I'm sure it is media or not, because they will be checking. If it is found not to be media, they'll bring it back to my house the next day. I then have to take it back to the PO and pay the additional fees. It seems like they are trained to automatically scrutinize any package, media or not, to try to figure out a way they can charge more money for it. I've literally gotten into verbal arguements with them about what is considered media and what is not. One PO even refused to take my package until I printed out a generic description of what classifies as media mail on the USPS.com website and took it to the Post Office and showed them.
Message 406 of 533
latest reply

What i don't understand is the people who will waste the time to continue to post here over and over and over and over what the technical qualifications for media mail are. Like it's the most fascinating freakin' subject in the history of civilization. We all know.

Comics don't qualify, will in most cases squeak through, but you are taking your chances.

Can we move on now?

Message 407 of 533
latest reply

We all know.

Comics don't qualify.

It's not the answer that's confusing (of course your answer is wrong), but the question. Some comics do qualify. A more correct question would be, what makes a comic qualify as Media mail?
Message 408 of 533
latest reply

kitpzyxm
Enthusiast
A more correct question would be, what makes a comic qualify as Media mail?

Trade paper backs(TPB), hardback books, graphic novels or any other comic that does not have advertising in them can go as media mail
Message 409 of 533
latest reply

gary131951
Enthusiast
Where can i find Richie Rich Adventure(s) Digests?
Message 410 of 533
latest reply

What i don't understand is the people who will waste the time to continue to post here over and over and over and over what the technical qualifications for media mail are. Like it's the most fascinating freakin' subject in the history of civilization. We all know.

Comics don't qualify, will in most cases squeak through, but you are taking your chances.

Can we move on now?

No. The secret rule is that the thread is all about somebody coming up with the undeniable answer to end the thread. That party is the winner.

We're not going to let you win that easy.

(I am a Level Five Threadkiller. My powers were forged in Rickroll, tested by goatse and blessed by Godwin.)
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 411 of 533
latest reply

Where can i find Richie Rich Adventure(s) Digests?

Have you tried eBay?
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 412 of 533
latest reply

It's not the answer that's confusing (of course your answer is wrong), but the question. Some comics do qualify. A more correct question would be, what makes a comic qualify as Media mail?

Whatever. I deal in comic books. 16 saddle stitched pages (and the occasional square-bound). None of them qualify for media mail, they all squeak by, and I get on with my life. Every once in a while I feel a need to comment on how mundane this topic is, or that if it were a dead horse it would be beyond pulp by now, but that's my problem. If the intricacies of postal code are so fascinating for so many, who am I to say ye nay?

Message 413 of 533
latest reply

I've got a pre-order in with Amazon for the upcoming DMM.

They have it three days before the Post Office!!!
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 414 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
for gods sake can this just be put to rest!!?!!???

I ship comics 1st class, priority mail, and media mail--entirely depending on the volume in question. If it's a larger volume, it goes media mail. I've never gotten a 'definitive' answer about it from any postal employee and until someone can clarify things positively OR they actually start enforcing a loosely-interpreted policy, I'll continue shipping in the manner that I do.

At this point, the benefits outweigh the risks.
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 415 of 533
latest reply

for gods sake can this just be put to rest!!?!!???

Nope. Everybody wants the last word.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 416 of 533
latest reply

Nope. Everybody wants the last word.

So true.
Message 417 of 533
latest reply

Indeed.