cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

It's like brothers fighting brothers....aren't we all in agreement that sending comics through the mail to other, like-minded individuals is what's important?!?

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

;-)
Message 301 of 533
latest reply

Yes, getting orders to buyers is important, but they should be mailed in a legal manner, and mixing them up with legal media mail items just is not legal.
Message 302 of 533
latest reply

I don't think legal and illegal are concepts that apply to mailing this sort of thing. Let's get some perspective and keep the hyperbole down to a roar.
Message 303 of 533
latest reply

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that the only true answer to this question is the one you get from the clerk... No, wait, let me rephrase that. The only true question is: When you hand the clerk your package and say "Media Mail, please," do they take it or not? Mine do.

Meanwhile, it's fun seeing people try to quote The Regulations to gifflefunk, who's spent more time and energy, intelligently, than anybody I know, and that includes you, me, anyone else posting here, and for *dang* sure any clerk you hand your package to.
Message 304 of 533
latest reply

As a Buyer (in Canada) I have had quite few packages of comics arrive with paperwork attached that details the contents and specifically the date or dates of publication, so there must be something to the idea of an exemption for "obsolete advertising" at least with some outlets used by some USA Sellers. Different understanding(s) of the rules in different states? Counties?
Message 305 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
Here, here, whbjr!!

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 306 of 533
latest reply

lemurion287
Enthusiast
I have a copy of a DC Showcase Presents collection sitting beside me and it fits the definition perfectly. No ads except for other Showcases.
Message 307 of 533
latest reply

Meanwhile, it's fun seeing people try to quote The Regulations to gifflefunk, who's spent more time and energy, intelligently, than anybody I know, and that includes you, me, anyone else posting here, and for *dang* sure any clerk you hand your package to.

Except he fails to tell you that THERE IS NO RETAIL STANDARD MAIL. As you are a retail customer, NOTHING you ship qualifies for standard mai.

And while he continues to say the phone jockey agreed with him, I'm sure he didn't point out to the phone jockey that he himself does not qualify for standard mail rates.

definition perfectly. No ads except for other Showcases.

This is not the only qualification for media mail. If the items are registered as periodicals, they cannot be shipped media mail.

You can dance around all you want, and make excuses why you should be able to break the rules all you want. Send them BPM rate, which is also cheaper than PP (most of the time).
Message 308 of 533
latest reply

Let's run this through once again, for those of us who are a bit slow on the uptake.

You walk into the post office, and hand a package to the clerk. "I'd like to send this Media Mail. It contains material which qualifies as Media Mail (e.g. sheet music), and it includes less than one pound of material which could be sent as Standard Mail (as per E713 1.2)"

The clerk says "By golly, you sure have done your homework! That'll be (some low price) - do you also need to buy stamps today?"

At no time have you asked for "retail Standard Mail," and you certainly have not broken any rules.
Message 309 of 533
latest reply

At no time have you asked for "retail Standard Mail," and you certainly have not broken any rules.

You are simply trying to justify this activity which is not allowed by USPS. Simply because the clerk is unaware of the regulation, does not make it correct. It does not mean it won't be checked somewhere down the line, and does not mean it will not show up postage due.

YOU KNOW nothing you ship qualifies as standard mail, and therefore cannot include it. There are other qualifications for standard mail, which would also remove your eligibility, but to pursue them is moot.

You cannot ship standard mail, thus nothing you have qualifies as standard mail. Period.
Message 310 of 533
latest reply

greatwhitebookhunter, I believe you are wasting your time arguing with these people. They are going to rationalize their shipping methods, but I don't like to see them mislead people that may believe they know what they are talking about. Dated periodicals cannot go by media mail, ads or no ads, and they do not qualify as standard mail.
Message 311 of 533
latest reply

yes, I just did it at the post office they approved. It is a graphic novel. That's media.
Message 312 of 533
latest reply

SO WHAT IF YOUR PORT OFFICE ALLOWS YOU TO SEND COMICS MEDIA MAIL.....
READ THIS:
Many post offices think that since comics have advertising inside they don't qualify for media mail rates. The question arises concerning old comics where the advertising is obsolete, does it still remain disqualified for media mail? I have yet to get a confirmed yes or no from postal authorities.
But Keep in mind that it is not just YOUR post office you have to be careful about when sending items media mail. Your post office may allow you to ship comics using media mail, but beware! The receiving post office employees are allowed to OPEN and EXAMINE items sent media mail to make sure that the items fit into that qualified category and if the postal employee on the receiving end wants to disqualify the shipping rate used by the sender, then the receiver/buyer has to pay the difference of the current going rate placed by the postal employee which is usually a default to first class mail or parcel post rate. Either way, a 12 lb. box of comics media mail for $6.00 may cost the receiver an additional $50.00 if the post office feels it is justified in doing so. OUCH! So, if you feel comfortable sending items media mail and want to risk the receiving (or any intermediate post office for that matter) the chance of opening your package for examination and if they open it, I can just about guarantee that the person you sent the disqualified media mail comics to will be really upset when he gets hit with a HUGE POSTAGE DUE amount because of incorrect shipping methods used. I don't know about any of you, but I prefer not to have some post office junkie meandering through my golden or silver age books or high grade modern books for that matter just because I wanted to save a few bucks. Also, you have to keep in mind that media mail is often hammered by postal employees. They figure these boxes and just old paper and so they are harsh with its care, and it doesn't matter how many times you write 'fragile' or 'do not bend', media mail was not designed to ship fragile or archival items. Since comic boxes are often heavy, once I saw were a long box was mailed and you could see where a fork lift arm went right through the middle of the box.
The point is: Using media mail to send comics is a time bomb, sooner or later you'll get burned.
Message 313 of 533
latest reply

I send them media mail regardless. I tell the post office that they are graphic novels - comic books reprinted in book format. They can't argue it. Comics are considered periodicals is why they can't be sent media mail. Take your chances. The probability is low and once they take it - 99% of the time it doesn't come back. If you use paypal for shipping labels, etc - you only have to drop them off - not stand in line all day to get waited on.
Message 314 of 533
latest reply

a book can contain advertising and be sent media mail only if the advertising is for another book or a video the same way but top gun with tom cruise that has a pepsi commercial technically would not qualify or all those old paperbacks with the cigarette adds in the middle of them. the problem is the post office does not understand their own regulations, you ask 5 employees the same question you will get 5 different answers, i don't think it too unreasonable to require the post office to claify their regulations it would make trying to figure out postage when listing a comic or magazine a lot easier
Message 315 of 533
latest reply