cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who/what is this character?

Picked up this brass (?) whimsical dog holding a branch candle holder and have had zero luck in identifying it. Very detailed (needs to be cleaned, etc.) and heavy. It's a little over 11" tall. I think it's a female dog because it has what looks like a dress on - complete with a bustle looking thing in the back. Cute hat with a feather, scarf, etc. 

900-271 (6).jpg900-271 (5).jpg900-271 (4).jpg900-271 (3).jpg900-271 (2).jpg900-271.jpgIs it a character out of a Fairy Tale or children's book? There are some faint black markings on the bottom but I can't make them out. Some numbers on top and then some letters "Paw"? or Par"? It's really pretty neat but I'd like to know more! Thank you! Mark

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Who/what is this character?

Looks like something from Dr. Seuss.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please don't clean it. I'm seeing traces of an original cold painted surface and that adds to it's value (even if a little rough).

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the advice! By cleaning I meant just brushing off the dust and wax droplets. In doing more research into "cold painting" it looks like the metal most often cold painted was/is bronze. Is there a reliable way to tell what this piece is made of? I'm thinking now that it might be bronze rather than brass??? Still can't find anything similar. Could the "Par" on the bottom be "Paris"? so many questions!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

True, definitely do not clean it other than a light dusting. The writing on the bottom... is it written on with a pen or is it hand-etched or mold-incised into the metal base? In the image, the "par" looks more like "pair" - suggesting there may have been two of them at one time. Also, has the candleholder arm been damaged or reattached? It seems the candle cup should be level to properly show & support a candle. A very interesting item. Good luck!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Something tells me this piece is of English or French origin. It may very well be a popular character in one of those two countries. It also reminds me somewhat of the antique bronze Blackamoors in construction & style.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the input! Yes that "seam" you may see on the branch that has the candle holder on the end is actually a skillful repair I believe. The pieces come apart. The end of the upper branch part in the photo has a male threaded piece protruding that screws into female threads on the part of the lower branch section closest to her/its mouth.  The hat looks to be a Tyrolean hat so maybe German? I've looked at gazillion bronze candle holders and can't find anything similar. The numbers and letters on the bottom appear to be from a writing instrument - it's not in the metal. Mark

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thought I'd give an update. The Barneby's appraiser said this animal is a dog and that it was made in Austria in the Art Nouveau period (late 1800's - early 1900's). They said it resembles pieces made by Franz Bergman who I have since learned was a very popular artist known for whimsical bronzes in that period. Insurance value was listed as $275 even with the old repair. This has been a learning experience! Thank you again for everyone who gave their opinions and advice!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply