cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is it??

Anybody have a clue what the heck this is and/or what it is used for? No markings, other than the measuring increments anywhere on it. thing.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What the heck is it??

@dbfolks166mt,

I found an image of a larger metric taper gauge. Still not as large as yours, but this is clearly what you've got.

image.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

...the measurement is in centimeter...it's something to be used for measure in Europe or Asia where they used centimeters instead of inches...(my best guess...sorry...!!!)

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

It reminds me of this item we used in high school science class.  I have a few, but can't think of the name.  Used to measure volume, I think.  

001.JPG 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It is a bore gauge. When you want to know the diameter of a bored hole, you push the flat tapered part down into the hole and whatever number lines up with the edge is the bore diameter. It's made to use quickly for accurately measuring holes, where an internal micrometer would be slower and more expensive.

I would have to know the overall size to tell what the markings are, if the widest part is about 6", then the markings would be in millimeters.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy,

FYI, that's a scale. It's used to weigh things, you hang the device up by the loop at the top, and then hang the item you want to weight on the hook at the bottom. It's calibrated in grams, and the max capacity is 1 kg, (kilogram).

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Anybody have a clue what the heck this is and/or what it is used for? No markings, other than the measuring increments anywhere on it. 

I have to vote for the bore gauge here. Why not measure across any of the lines with a metric ruler, and see if the edge-to-edge measurement at any point agrees with the stamped number in the middle?

If this was a spring scale, it would not need to be tapered, and the numbers would be increasing toward the bottom rather than toward the top, since a heavier item would pull the pointer (which is not present here) further down the scale.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@oneblindcat, good one! I'll bet you've got it.

I wondered about the size as well, and I figured that the markings were probably mm. I was thinking more about something like a trowel for planting bulbs, which sometimes have markings so that you can measure the depth they are being planted at. I didn't think of measuring the width, but I think you're right, if the size matches.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Oh it's clearly one of those widgets!
Just kidding, in all honesty I am going to side with the bore gauge folks.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

It's used to get husbands off the couch when chores need to be done.  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Hole gauge. The tapered sides allow you to see where it is in the hold to get the size which is in the middle.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I am voting a piece of a scale or balance too.  I don't know why there would be a hook on the end for a bore gauge, and the tapering appears too gradual for a bore gauge.  I am totally guessing though since the only bore gauge I ever saw was for a gun.  I thought the tapering on this could be a design element or a result of camera angle. The numbering increasing toward the top makes sense if this is the moving part and the complete scale also had a needle (the missing part) that was stationary since the heavier the weight that hangs from the bottom the farther down it would go relative to the needle.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@evry1nositswindy,

FYI, that's a scale. It's used to weigh things, you hang the device up by the loop at the top, and then hang the item you want to weight on the hook at the bottom. It's calibrated in grams, and the max capacity is 1 kg, (kilogram).

I thought that as well, but there is no little metal slider peice that would point to the weight (unless it is missing)

As to the bore guage, while it sounds plausable, why the hook on the bottom?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@downunder-61 

I thought that was a Cotter pin on the bottom. It still didn't make sense, though...

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@redtwincds wrote:

I am voting a piece of a scale or balance too.  I don't know why there would be a hook on the end for a bore gauge, and the tapering appears too gradual for a bore gauge.  I am totally guessing though since the only bore gauge I ever saw was for a gun.  I thought the tapering on this could be a design element or a result of camera angle. The numbering increasing toward the top makes sense if this is the moving part and the complete scale also had a needle (the missing part) that was stationary since the heavier the weight that hangs from the bottom the farther down it would go relative to the needle.  

the hook is to hang the item up... most likly added later. Most just have the hole to do so...

Bore or hole gauge is the correct description... I have different taper gauges, that do this (hole or bore measurement) as well as for taper side holes as well....

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@evry1nositswindy,

I thought that as well, but there is no little metal slider peice that would point to the weight (unless it is missing)

@downunder-61, to be clear, I was referring to the picture that @evry1nositswindy posted, which is a different gadget that she thought was similar to OP's gadget.

Windy's item is a spring scale, for weighing things. The indicator to read the weight is inside the clear tube, just below the spring, as shown below. The scale is clearly marked on the right side from 0 to 900 (in g, or grams) and then 1 kg (= 1,000 g). On the left side, it is marked 1 through 10 in hg (hectograms, 1 hg = 100 g) With nothing on the hook, it is reading zero grams as expected. You can only see one unit marked, the kg at bottom right.

image.png

@downunder-61 wrote:

@dbfolks166mt's gadget is pretty definitely a bore gauge or hole gauge, for measure the internal diameter of a hole.

The "hook" on the bottom may be a shaped loop, used to hang the gauge on a peg board when it isn't being used so it doesn't get lost.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply