cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vntg Asian block art ID help

Hello all. 

A friend gave me this large framed Asian (block art?) piece. 

He says he purchased it in Arizona about 40 years ago and thinks he was told it was done by a child.   Does the signature/stamp look familiar to anyone?   I can’t get the frame open but I see “movement”  so not a litho.  There are some pencil marks and no brush strokes leading me to believe it’s block art. 

Help is Greatly appreciated!

-mel

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Vntg Asian block art ID help

Bump 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a nice piece of art and I hope you find out more about it.

What size is it?

Any info on back?

The style of the work and the frame make me think 1970s.

Not the work of a child. It's very skillfully done.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

the art it’s self is 17.5 x 25”
Framed total it’s 30”x37”

Back is plain. I can say tho it is very well framed no nails/tape etc. it has metal spring clips I’ve never seen. U actually have to take the frame apart to get the clips/back out.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

image.jpgimage (1).jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the help so far 🙂 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Last bump 😎
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

There appear to be pencil marks sketched under the faces, which suggests that this is painted rather than a print. The edges of the black and dark blue on the lighter colors, and the lighter blue marks on the dark blue shirt, look to me like they were painted with a brush.

I agree that this looks quite sophisticated to be a child's work, at least probably not by a pre-teen. Student work, possibly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "block art" but I think this looks like a painting, not a print. The edge of the tan background over the green could possibly be a registration mark in a serigraph (screen print) or a block print, but based on the other indications that suggest a painting, that seems more likely.

At least in the 80s, when I took some fine arts classes including printmaking in university, many professional artists had and used chops to ID their work. So the presence of a chop mark (the printed asian characters) does not necessarily mean that the artist was Asian.

image.png

Message 9 of 9
latest reply