cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shreve & Co. Sterling Tea Pot

Anyone know the approximate year or decade this is from? It says sterling on the bottom but there are a couple small spots of discoloration (See close-up photo). It is 10 inches tall and has the 76380B on the bottom. Any information will be helpful.  Thank you. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Shreve & Co. Sterling Tea Pot

Shreve, Treat & Eacret  was not the same company as Shreve & Co.  See here:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SFC19120716.2.145&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1 

and here:

http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSS.html 

The Shreve, Treat & Eacret stamp places it between 1912 and 1941 (if the second above link is correct).

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Also, I believe it's a coffee pot.

Janet

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

But still Shreve as it changed over the years with the name Shreve in it.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

What I was trying to say is that Shreve has had a number of different partnerships over the years, even Patek Philippe, and if you are out in the field on the hunt and see the name Shreve in any configuration it is a sign of quality and if not overpriced, one should buy it.

Those darn red warnings

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

But still Shreve as it changed over the years with the name Shreve in it.

Well, I don't know. I'm just going by the information in the two links I posted, and it seems to me that these were two separate businesses. As I read it, a member of the Shreve family (formerly of Shreve & Co.) left the company and went on to join Treat & Eacret, which changed its name to Shreve, Treat & Eacret  after he joined. I don't believe Shreve & Co. itself was affected by this. I think it continued to trade independently as Shreve & Co. during the entire period of Shreve, Treat & Eacret's existence (and of course afterwards, as well).

firm.png

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

So you are saying there were TWO George Shreves? OK, your newspaper report would be right then. Never heard that. My point was that the name Shreve has always represented a certain quality within the trade and whenever I find a piece of antique silver with the name Shreve on it, in any configuration, I always do well financially.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Slow down a minute.  The article does not say George Shreve cloned himself.  He left Shreve & Co. and joined Treat & Eacret, which changed its name to Shreve, Treat & Eacret.

Janet

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Got it.

But still

"My point was that the name Shreve has always represented a certain quality within the trade and whenever I find a piece of antique silver with the name Shreve on it, in any configuration, I always do well financially."

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

If polished, these spots will most likely disappear or at least be toned down enough to be tolerable. Many sterling items of this age can have spots like this. What does it weigh? From a dealer's POV the scrap value weight is an important consideration when placing a value on the object itself.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It weighs 2.2 lbs but it does have the inside liner which adds to the weight. I included a photo of the liner...it isn't sterling, right?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

If you are referring to the third picture it does look maybe plated. A picture of the entire liner would help.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

The liner is definitely a different material than the sterling on the outside. This was my Grandmother's and has her initials on it. Can anyone give this an approximate date please?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@eclecticloset wrote:

Can anyone give this an approximate date please?

Well, like I said in my first post, Shreve, Treat & Eacret  existed between 1912-1941. That sounds a long time, but it's only a 30-year time window. And if those are your grandmother's married initials then you can probably date it after her marriage, since I would guess it was engraved at the time of purchase.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

So, how much does it weigh w/o liner?? And a picture of the liner. Any marks on the liner? Pic?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply