cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller's Item IS A FAKE. A REPRODUCTION.

Greetings to All,

Sellers are responsible for the items they list.

This responsibility includes, but is not limited to :

Item's Authenticity.

Accurate Description--Including Condition. 

Over the past few months, I have noticed long time sellers listing items as Vintage, when, in fact,  identical items are being sold in malls and shopping centers.

If a seller can't list more than two blurry photos of an item and a one line description, that seller needs to think about clicking CLOSE MY ACCOUNT.

Another Gripe.  Sellers, if you actually believe listing a 4 ounce item's shipping cost SKY HIGH is going to result in more sales, you are sadly mistaken.  $60.00 to ship a 4 ounce item?  Get Real.  Get Prozac.  Get Something.

As soon as I see a ridicuously high shipping fee, I keep scrolling and you had better believe other buyers feel the same way.

I surveyed 40 friends.  eBay Customers.  I asked them if shipping costs was a factor that would impact their decision to buy an item.  YES.  FORTY TIMES.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Seller's Item IS A FAKE. A REPRODUCTION.

Do you know the expression "preaching to the choir"? But, vent away if it makes you feel better.
Janet
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I think you have spotted some good flags to warn you off buying dubious items so continue to avoid purchasing items that display these features. However, all you can do is report a listing to legal authorities or rights holders and let them  decide if it is legitimate.

Someone overcharging for postage will be paying 14% to eBay and PayPal on the postage  as well as enhanced listing fees so that could eat into their profits:

item $20 + $100 postage =$120

pay PO $100

pay eBay and PayPal $16.80 (ignoring the listing fee and upgrades) 

leaves $3.20 for the greedy seller.

Of course, many "gougers" don't buy the expensive stamps they have charged for so pocket more.

My example also shows why I am becoming wary of listing items with high international postage because if they don't sell well that 14% on a large postal bill devours the profit and can result in a serious loss.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"Over the past few months, I have noticed long time sellers listing items as Vintage, when, in fact,  identical items are being sold in malls and shopping centers."

----------

I guess that would make those items, Vintage 2018

Right?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Do you know the defintion of vintage as it applys to items sold -  "a period of origin or manufacture".  So something made to today is vintage 6/27/18.  Anything and everything manufactured is vintage.  It is a word that is greatly over used but it's not a violation to use it on EBay on newly manufactured items.  

As for price gouging on shipping, no such thing anymore.  The price anything for sale on EBay is the  item price PLUS shipping/handling.  So all you and your friends need to do is look at the total price.  If the item is worth it, then buy if not then don't. 

Say you are looking for a widget that to you is worth $100.   You find 2 available.  Seller one has his priced at $90 plus $10 shipping for a total of $100.  Seller two has his priced at $1 plus $99 shipping for a total of $100.  Which is the better deal?  Both are going to pay the same EBay/Paypal fees.  Your cost is the same on either one.  

Now I don't use either of those but neither is a violation or a ripoff

Message 5 of 5
latest reply