cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP! - ANTIQUE CHINESE HAND CARVED WOOD IMMORTAL? VERY OLD!

I recently purchased this item at an estate sale and was told that it was found in an old WW2 era trunk along with various military related items.  I believe it to be Chinese and that of an Immortal but any information would be extremely helpful.  It appears to be extremely old and even professionally repaired with various wood wedges.  Any insight will be helpful!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: PLEASE HELP! - ANTIQUE CHINESE HAND CARVED WOOD IMMORTAL? VERY OLD!

He is not one of the Eight Immortals, but one of The Three Stars (Sanxing) deities.  He is Shou.  (The three are Fu, Lu. and Shou.)

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you!  Any idea on age / value?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@antiquemaster203 wrote:

Thank you!  Any idea on age / value?

There is no possible way to accurately say that from a photo, none. In fact, without verifiable provenance, with these sorts of Chinese items you are always safer to assume that they are clever forgeries made to look old rather than actually being so.

The only way you will ever get an accurate/reliable appraisal is tot ake it to an expert, hand it to them and agree to pay for it as they don't do it for free. You may get lucky and find an "enthusiast" that has a bit of knowledge in this area but that still requires them having the piece in their hands in order to accurately say really much about it other than who it depicts.

Chinese antiquities is a filthy, nasty area of the business and honestly,myself having 30 years in, unless I get something basically for nothing, I don't go anywhere near it!

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
latest reply