cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oversized Word Paper Money albums?

I have been trying to find albums to store my oversized paper money i collect from all over the world. I have these huge Russian bills and lots of oversized bills that don't fit in the normal currency albums. I have searched all over. I can't even find protector sleeves for them. I would prefer an album but if anyone knows a brand or anyway i can find something to store these in so they don't get damaged. The Russian bills which are the largest are 10 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches in height.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Oversized Word Paper Money albums?

@zzlordraduzz wrote:

maybe 2 per page rather than 3 per page, something like that.

Is this the sort of thing you need? (NB I'm not a collector, and it isn't a recommendation):

https://www.safepub.com/currency-holders-albums/currency-albums/professional-currency-albums/ 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

The only thing I can think of right off hand are the so-called "self-adhesive" photo album pages.  You carefully peel back the page, lay in any size item you like, then carefully press the page down.  They work really well. I have several albums done this way, to accomodate mixes of photos and ephemera of varying sizes.  The ones I have claim to be "archival quality," and, in fact, after several years everything in them is still fine.

I am NOT promoting this particular one, but I link to it because it illustrates very well how it works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265472605481?hash=item3dcf667d29:g:9w0AAOSwdW5hykUr&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8M...

-

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Not to contradict but I would never put anything truly valuable or fragile within those pages. I go to many estate sales where thin paper bits have been entombed for 40 years and they get stuck sometimes. Some thin Victorian papers that are sandwiched together (like the ones used to assemble CDV mounts or cabinet cards) will pull apart depending on storage conditions. My thoughts are, would the Smithsonian put gummy-back pages up against a copy of the Emancipation?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I guess I wasn't thinking of it as a permanent fix because currency collectors want to see both sides of the notes -- and you are right that it is not a suggestion for long-term storage.

As for my own use, when I die all the albums will go into the nearest trash bin, anyhow, so I don't worry about the long-term, neither for myself nor for them.  As George Burns or Groucho Marx or someone said, "I don't even buy green bananas."

-

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Yea i wouldn't trust those types of photo albums i am thinking more like the regular ones where you just slide the bills in but larger pockets, maybe 2 per page rather than 3 per page, something like that. I'll even take an option of very large hard sleeves and maybe a box to put them in.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@zzlordraduzz wrote:

Is this the sort of thing you need? (NB I'm not a collector, and it isn't a recommendation):

https://www.safepub.com/currency-holders-albums/currency-albums/professional-currency-albums/ 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

My thoughts are, would the Smithsonian put gummy-back pages up against a copy of the Emancipation?

My thoughts are, would the Smithsonian stick a gilt-iron candelabra in boiling water?  innocent

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@zzlordraduzz wrote:

And you know, I just assumed OP had alrfeady exhausted such searches, so I was looking for at least temporary alternatives.   Once again, I guess my assumptions have made an ...  of me, as the saying has it. 

-

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And you know, I just assumed OP had alrfeady exhausted such searches, so I was looking for at least temporary alternatives.  

I may have misunderstood what he wants, because they weren't hard to find at all. Perhaps OP wants recommendations from collectors who've tried out different brands? The eBay coins & paper money board would be a good place to ask.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

You could use a binder with top loading plastic sleeves.

Also available horizontal.

Like these binders.

For information only.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3519243.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dunwell+Binder+with+Plast...

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

You would be surprised at some of the low-tech solutions used by major institutions.  Years ago I discovered that to clean prints they use de-ionized water (really, really clean water) and do a number of soaks to clean soiled paper. Most (all?) have a de-ionizing water unit in their conservation department. I buy my de-ionized water at Whole Foods.

Many of those same museums produce videos showing how they restore items (for information only).

Some restorers use protein enzyme (saliva, spit) to clean delicate areas.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

As long as the  sleeves are archival. I've used cellophane for years but never thought to check. I guess I should.😎

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Many of those same museums produce videos showing how they restore items (for information only).

Hmm, I guess I missed the "beneficial effect of boiling water on gilt-iron artifacts" episode. But I'm just being mischievous (and off-topic).

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for all the suggestions, the leather ones are kinda out of my price range but all these ideas sure sent me in the right direction. I think i found a solution by using 2 slot pages designed for graded currency, I'm asking sellers if they have the sizes i need. Also thought of using regular hard sleeves and putting them in a photo album might work as well so the stickyness won't stick to the bills. thank you for all your feedback.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@zzlordraduzz wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions, the leather ones are kinda out of my price range

It wasn't actually the leather albums I had in mind, it was the individual stock pages further down. It looked to me like they were for sale separately (but I could be wrong about that, who knows).

Message 15 of 25
latest reply