cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie / TV Panavision Mirrored Clapper Board / Clapboard

I found what appears to be a vintage Panavision / General Cinemas Clapboard / Clapper Board(I see them called both). I feel like I've searched Google using  most of the  search terms that one who doesn't know much about movie memorabilia would use, and I'm stumped, which makes me think that it was made to be a decorative object(?). Does anyone have any insight? People out there have pretty terrible taste, so I guess it is entirely possible that someone had it in The middle of his living room.  It looks vintage, it isn't cheaply-thrown together, and one would obviously need to obtain the rights to use the Panavision and General Cinemas names; it is not, however, slate or a chalk board-like material. Thanks, all. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Movie / TV Panavision Mirrored Clapper Board / Clapboard

I'd say it's a decorator piece.  People love the "movies look" as you can see from this Google image search on movie home decor:

https://www.google.com/search?q=movie+home+decor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSo5K19_XWAhVD...

If you try similar searches, you may well find mirrors like yours.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hum...  I wouldn't expect a decorative piece to be branded with the logo of a real company that sells camera equipment.  They'd have to be paid royalties for that.

Debora

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

They may get some money if they find the user and if the user then ignores the cease and desist order from their lawyers.   You may both be right that this was produced for / by the company for some promotional purpose.  I'm just remarking that names and logos get used without permission all the time, sometimes innocently and sometime intentionally.   But otherwise, WDIK?    Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The film industry makes many branded items for trade shows like NATPE, etc where they are used as studio giveaways at the shows. I attended a few of these shows in the past and items like these would be part of the goody bag items handed out to higher ups at these events.  I was no higher up but I still have a set of The Grinch martini glasses that I will unleash on ebay at the proper time :).

If a real producer showed up on set with a mirrored slate it would be hard to take them seriously. Wait a minute, might of seen one on Heaven's Gate.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I'm thinking that you are probably correct. I have a few "Crumpler" bags from the TriBeCa Film Festival, which would be functional and decent-looking if they weren't branded with American Express embroidery - they work well to take packages to the post office and despite being unattractive, they serve a purpose - I don't plan on making a movie in my future, so I suppose the the clap board gets donated.  If someone wants to take it off my hands, speak now.  Unless it belonged to Robert Rodriguez or Sophia Coppola? They both have every reason to love mirrors. Thank you, all.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"Smith Family Theater" stenciled on a wall just doesn't seem quite the same to me...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@clothesandkitschnyc wrote:

"Smith Family Theater" stenciled on a wall just doesn't seem quite the same to me...

"People out there have pretty terrible taste..."       Smiley LOL   Smiley LOL   

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Also, the "Sound" inprint is what you see on novelty boards. On a production slate it would say MOS meaning 'without sound' for footage where the sound was not being recorded.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

When I initially started selling on eBay, I purchased things that I liked. Most of it sold, but time, help from people like you guys, and a little research helped me realize who the average eBay customer is and what she wants. Now I pass over great pieces that I know there is no market for(or leave eBay out of it bc I know they won't sell) and pick up frocks that are pretty heinous. It could be me with the bad taste(in many cases I'm right there with you with the WDIK).
Message 10 of 10
latest reply