cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I give up . . what is it?

I know that Tibidabo is in Spain so it's no doubt a  souvenir but what in the world do you do with it?DSC07502.JPGDSC07503.JPGDSC07504.JPG

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@gagnon234 

As some others have mentioned here, it is a vintage travel sewing kit. When you take it apart where the thimble would go, the wood piece comes off and inside that is where you store the needles. 

You then wrap string around the body. 

I have included pictures of one where you can see what it would look like loaded.

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Does anything happen if you spin it?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Kitchen squeezer ? Honey something or other?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Try posting the pic on the ebay spain site. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Maybe a device to wrap yarn around... it would feed out of the end as you used it??

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

https://en.todocoleccion.net/vintage/costurero-viaje-huevo-madera-tibidabo-barcelona~x207758650 

Bit how the heck is OP's item a sewing kit?   Where are the needles, the thread, the spare buttons, all the other little items that are standard in a sewing kit?   And how would such fit into this thing?  I am mighty confused.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

My guess is that the thimble is the only part left that was part of this small travel travel kit.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

My guess is that the thimble is the only part left that was part of this small travel travel kit.

I see the thimble, but I'm just not convinced it was ever a sewing kit at all.  Most of the interior of the "egg" is taken up with the big secondary piece, which has no sewing function, although I suppose thread could have been wrapped around it.   But travel sewing kits have to have needles (and usually a needle threader), a little pair of scissors, a few replacement buttons, and so on, and how would they have fit into this thing?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

My original thoughts on this piece was of a mortar and pestle, because of that big secondary piece, but I don't see how it could be accomplished with the shape and size.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I can see on the web, the main purpose is to spool a few different types of thread and some hold a thimble over that tip piece. It's the "egg" shape that is the main feature, as it was placed inside a sock to support and shape it for darning. (not an expert)🙂

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I can see on the web, the main purpose is to spool a few different types of thread and some hold a thimble over that tip piece. It's the "egg" shape that is the main feature, as it was placed inside a sock to support and shape it for darning. (not an expert)🙂

But the description in Argon's link is a "travel sewing kit," not a darning egg.  Most darning eggs are solid, and most have handles, although I suppose this could be one.  It would be awfully hard to use as a darning egg, though, and I say that from actual experience.   But darning egg makes more sense than sewing kit.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Here's  another one.   Souvenir designed to hold a thimble according to seller.

https://www.todocoleccion.net/coleccionismo-dedales/dedal-costura-recuerdo-barcelona-tibidabo-huevo-...

Debora

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for your reply! If spun, it goes topsy, turvy.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for your reply! No sticky substance noted. 🙂
Message 15 of 25
latest reply