cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with antique painting

Picked this up today from a local online auction estate sale (first time for one of those). They had a few pieces of art and I purchased 3 of them. The pictures for the listing weren't great and there wasn't many details, but I think this one was a pretty good buy for the price. There is a small tear at the top (which also wasn't described), but in the event this was anything special I figure I could have it repaired. If nothing else I got a pretty nice frame. Can anyone help me with the signature? I need fresh eyes. Nails, patina of the wood, canvas all show signs of decent age. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I think it may read H. Tournay. I tried searching a bunch of combinations, and I stumbled upon an artist named H. Journay who paints landscapes that are very similar. It's even the same frame in the example below. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@sarahd53wrote:

I think it may read H. Tournay. I tried searching a bunch of combinations, and I stumbled upon an artist named H. Journay who paints landscapes that are very similar. It's even the same frame in the example below. 

It's always helpful when questioners solve their own questions grinning

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

When one begins searching, the journay becomes the destination.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Sorry, but I don't believe this is a painting. And if it was by H. Tournay, you would have found quite a prize.

It looks to be a print on canvas where a factory worker has smeared a thick varnish or or clear gel medium around the surface in imitation of brush strokes. It is hard to tell for sure from the photos.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

I think it's premature to say this is not a painting and, if mine, I wouldn't rely on a single opinion on a chat board to condem it. I see no signs that it is a print as suggested. I do see signs that it IS a painting, not a good painting and probably a copy of some sort. The keyed stretcher and frame look European and they have been faking low-level paintings for years over there. I believe from what I see here, it is a decorative fake. If you like it, hang it on the wall and enjoy it.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Four examples of paintings signed "H. Tournay," in identical (or near-identical) frames to the OP's. Could someone please explain what is going on here, as I am somewhat baffled?

40714-50-19tvintage-tournay-oil-painting-babbling_1_0c80fe4c69d577cd91262cec2be719fcH_Tournay0079_1_lg_original.jpg

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@pixzeewrote:

And if it was by H. Tournay, you would have found quite a prize.

Why? Who was he?

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@argon38wrote:

Four examples of paintings signed "H. Tournay," in identical (or near-identical) frames to the OP's. Could someone please explain what is going on here, as I am somewhat baffled?

I think pretty much what *sonomabarn* said.  (On the other hand, my offering to help the baffled is always very much akin to the blind leading the blind.)

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I think the culprit might be ebay as anyone with an account  can write a listing, even if they know nothing about art. Then someone sees their listing, and so on, and so on...

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@maxine*jwrote:

I think pretty much what *sonomabarn* said.  (On the other hand, my offering to help the baffled is always very much akin to the blind leading the blind.)

But would a faker copy the frame? And are they actually worth faking? I reckon they're all from the same stable.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@sonomabarn67wrote:

I think the culprit might be ebay as anyone with an account  can write a listing, even if they know nothing about art. Then someone sees their listing, and so on, and so on...

All the online information about "H. Tournay" seems to be people copying from each other. There's an unsourced typewritten note on the back of one of his paintings, and that seems to be pretty much the extent of anyone's knowledge.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Here's the label, incidentally:

“TOURNAY: Born in Switzerland in 1890, his talent for painting was discovered in his early youth. Studied in France at the Academy of Arts and won several prizes in exhibitions. Years ago he came to this country and is very much liked for his peaceful ‘Sceneries’ which he executes in fine colors.”

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-tournay-oil-painting-babbling-1544237614

Anything more vague or unspecific would be difficult to conceive. Yet one of his paintings fetched $2360 at auction?!

http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/306089/h.html

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Stable:

Maybe all the paintings are from one stable.  Maybe it's the frames that are all from one stable.  Maybe both.   Except for the sake of satisfying our own curiosity, I'm not sure it much matters.

Research:

I didn't look, in this case, but I hear your frustration:  I do a lot of research, including work for a medico, and so often I initially think I have found several sources, citations, to draw upon but as I look at each one, in turn, and start the trace, I find they all lead back to one place.   "As everyone knows..."  turns out to be, "As one guy said and no one else ever questioned..." 

Label:

Yes, and that's what passed for a "listed artist" these days. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply