cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 19th C. Antique Wrought Iron Chandelier

glasswindchimes
Adventurer

Looking for any info on this wrought iron chandelier.  Date & Origin.  It has no welding, punched and hand hammered.  Looks to have been made before electricity then converted at a later date.  Question is, is it European in origin?  I've never seen the wooden candle pieces.  Style, Goth, Spanish Revival, French, American? Seems like it would have been in a church.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Help with 19th C. Antique Wrought Iron Chandelier

You can't really call this 19th century and expect support with those pictures. You need to take MACRO shots (front, back, etc) to back up your claim. First you need to show what country it's from and then work outward. I think it might be Egyptian, Spanish, or... And it could be 30's + From the little I can see, it looks like it was made to be wired (what electric lamp wasn't?)

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Also, add Iberian to your search terms.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestions.  I'll post detailed pictures this afternoon.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

At a glance, I'd consider it Spanish Revival.  And, given that it appears to have been originally designed for light bulbs, likely 20th century.

Debora

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

IMG_3885.jpgcandelabra is wooden and is seated on the spiked candle holdercandelabra is wooden and is seated on the spiked candle holderuse of collar and punchinguse of collar and punchingspikes for earlier candles, now the wooden pieces fit down over the spikesspikes for earlier candles, now the wooden pieces fit down over the spikes

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

tiny bit of beeswax that came was on the center candle holdertiny bit of beeswax that came was on the center candle holdercenter candle holder with waxcenter candle holder with waxIMG_3863(1).jpg

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I found tiny remnants of wax on the center candle holder and the candle spikes make me think this was fabricated before the invention of electricity.  It seems to have been converted at a later date.  The electrical wires are held in place by thin pieces of wire. The candelabras are wooden and brass. All the components in the mid and lower sections seem to be hand forged.  All pieces are joined with collars, punching and rivets.  No welding.  I've made notes with each pic.

I think the style is where I need the most help.  It reminds me of the fixtures I've seen in the cathedrals in Germany and Austria, but not exactly. I look forward to researching the other possibilities mentioned, particularly the Spanish.   I appreciate everyone's input! 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Wow! When I asked for better pictures, I was expecting more of the same. By taking those shots properly you have enabled not just me, but anyone else that comes across this thread, an opportunity to figure this out.

From what I know, I now agree with you that it was hand built hammered steel.built in the 19th c. Those stumped prickets suggest  it's not 17th/18th c. The wood in the elect socket  suggest it was electrified in the early days of electricity.  It's really a nice piece and your fresh pics show that. I'm no expert but I do know this is a good quality lamp. Still think Spanish but don't exclude anything.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Another thought, there was an architect in NY/Palm Beach FL named Addison Mizner who, along with Andrew Carnegie, built and furnished many of the grand estates. Buisness -was so good that they had trouble furnishing the interiors and patios so he started Mizner Enterprises to build authentic reproductions of the old world furniture, tiles, windows, and...light fixtures and decorative ironwork. I think he even brought over craftsmen from the old country. All handmade out of proper materials.And now with nearly a century of wear and surface upon them they mimic period pieces.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply